Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-_DLD_-

WIP: DOOM ReloaDLD

This is kind of a small project I'm working on. It all started out as me teaching myself to map, and suddenly I got an idea for a project.

For now, I'm going to make all of E1 on my own, learning new things as I make more maps (they obviously get steadily better). Eventually, I'm going to try to get people to help me with further Episodes (I'll make a new thread about this when I'm ready, for now I'm just working on E1 to get some mapping experience).

I've just completed E1M3, and I'll post a download to the file (this is for UDOOM, and bear in mind that if you choose to use ZDOOM, you are not Air Jordan, meaning this is not designed for Jumping or anything of the sort...I'm going to try to auto-disable Jump and Freelook when/if this project is completed).

The difficulty on Skill 4-5 is intended to be ultra-hard, so don't say I didn't warn you. HMP is a comfortable setting for me, so unless you want a challenge, play on this.

I'd like general constructive critisizm, advice, pointers, etc. I just want to learn how to be a half decent mapper before I formally launch any project. The goal of this (if it doesn't become a full UDOOM replacement, then it will merely be my first Megawad consisting of a complete E1 replacement) is to build maps with the "classic" DOOM feel, only up to a much much higher difficulty level.

Here are my screenies!

E1M1

E1M1

E1M1

E1M2

E1M2

E1M2

E1M3

E1M3

E1M3

If you've managed not to burst your spleen laughing at my megre attempts at maps and die of internal bleeding, then here is the link.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Hey, you're still doing better than me, and trust me, I've tried. I guess I'll just have to continue finding second rate sound effects and doing outragous voice acting...

Heh, thanks. I just approach every level I build with an idea plus the basic criteria I've laid out for this project and I get cracking.

I need to make the supersecret E1M9 and E1M4 - "The Four Horsemen" soon.

Union of Two Dark Templar: Thanks! I went for the cheesiest thing I could think of that works.

Dutch Devil: That's always good to hear. Apparently the file is invalid for some reason (works fine on ZDOOM for me), so I'll have to get in contact with sausage so I can fix the hyperlink.

sausage: Thanks. I added you to MSN, so if you're wondering who Darth Eldraganus is, that's me. I can transfer it to you and talk to you on MSN and such, if you like. Otherwise just PM me or something and I'll e-mail it.

Thanks for agreeing to try your hand at mapping E2M1, sausage!

I'll begin work on E1M9 now.

I like where this is going. <3

Hey DLD, archeicture doesnt matter to me, its is all about the fun factor. If you have the best looking map ever, but crappy ass gameplay, then it sucks in my book. It looks like good old DOOM play and not some detail whored level. If nobody else plays it, I will!

Whoa...poor sausage...got the Loser. =(

As for the maps, I'm making really fast progress on E1M9. Not surprising, considering it's an extremely short map...but hopefully people who find it (or clev to it, dirty cheaters) will find it at least somewhat amusig.

I'll offer 3 words to give a hint to what this map's about.

"Wow...Night Train."

shotgunmasacre2 said:

What did he do to get the loser tag?

To hell if I know. It was probably spamming this thread or something...but you're not Losered, so I really have no clue.

Anyway, I've pretty much completed E1M9. It's a fun (very very short though) secret level. I may add another area or two.

Soon I'll have to get cracking on E1M4.

I'm not uploading anything until E1 of the project is done. Then (if I end up finishing the project) upload the whole thing once it's done.

I'd like to download your work, DLD. But I just get a login-page. Is it just me or does the link no longer work?

E1M3 - west monster teleporter didn't work. The map is boring as hell but at least it's playable. Once again your idea of 'hard' is wrong. Stuffing monsters into every available 64x64 square is just as boring as making a map pistol-only.

E1M9 - the map's name fits it very well.

Heh, weird...it worked when I tested it.

And I didn't exactly "stuff monsters into 64x64 squares". I'm seriously working hard on putting more varity into my maps, especially my E1M4.

Damn, links not working for me. I'm really interested in trying this level out, kind of reminds me of HR or AV. LOVE that type of game play, so hopefully that's how it'll be.

Any ideas as to why it isn't working (link that is)?

EDIT : Nevermind, working now.

I'm doing my best to emulate the challenging gameplay of HR or AV, and I believe I'm steadily improving as I make more maps...hopefully I'll be half decent by the time I finish the episode. Side from 1-2 people, pretty much everyone who's seen this said it was pretty good, especially considering my inexperience.

E1M4 is coming along nicely...all it is so far is a big platform-type thinger in the centre of a big room, but there are about 61 sectors, so my detail should be getting a tad better.

I Am back! =D

I have finished my map ( E2M1 )
i got someone to test it and the rating was:

Gameplay: 9/10
detail: 10/10
monster placement 10/10

ill Send it on friday!

It isnt too hard but i did put in a chainsaw,

any editing you want to put on it i will let you but please tell me what you have done,

it uses one Zdoom script and that is it.
it is only a spawnThing script

script 1 (void)
{
Thing_SpawnFacing(1,T_IMP,0,0);
}

sausage said:

It isnt too hard but i did put in a chainsaw,

any editing you want to put on it i will let you but please tell me what you have done,

it uses one Zdoom script and that is it.
it is only a spawnThing script

script 1 (void)
{
Thing_SpawnFacing(1,T_IMP,0,0);
}

Minor scripts like spawnThing are fine...they're not too devient from the original DOOM levels, plus it throws off your "Monster" count, which is a great bonus.