Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

How did the guys ad id Software make the doom monsters?

Just out of curiosity. how did the guys ad id software make the original doom and doom 2 monsters? Did they make 3d models of it on the comp, then basically took snap shots of it at different poses? Did they make clay models and than took photos? Use real people dressed in really eleborate costumes? Or was it all hand drawn with some imaging program? I know some doom things are hand drawn, but, what about the monsters?

The Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, Doomguy, John Romero Head, Arch-Vile(?) and Mancubus(?) were made with still photos taken from models, made of various things like clay, latex, metal and John Romero's head. Some of the weapons, arm sprites, and wall textures were made this way also. The rest of the monsters were drawn on computer.

Ezxariarch said:

Damn...making sprites from drawings and models. That's 1 sprite for each pose. Must have taken a hell of a long time.

It’s easier to clean up images into sprites then drawing them. You forgot to mention the Revenant was a model as well. The imps and former humans were modified doom guy sprites. Also of the wall textures were scanned drawing and real objects. I can't remember which one but one of those bloody skin textures was a cut on Cloud.

Technician said:

It’s easier to clean up images into sprites then drawing them. You forgot to mention the Revenant was a model as well. The imps and former humans were modified doom guy sprites. Also of the wall textures were scanned drawing and real objects. I can't remember which one but one of those bloody skin textures was a cut on Cloud.

Talk about authenticity! =^D

John Carmack cut open one of his team and bathed in his intestines. They took a photo of his bloody remains and converted it to a texture.

Hehe, not monster/sprite related, but check out the pics contained in these two files (when they're moved over to the idgames archives "Newstuff" directory): majest3.zip and phobos.zip <G> -:)

Shapeless said:

Could someone please explain to me what you mean by "a cut on Cloud"?

Kevin Cloud's wound was used.

I always thought one of the hell-skin textures look like a scrape on the knee when i first saw it 7 years ago.

Anyway. I know in Strife and hexen they usd CG models and took screenshots of it (i think atleast). But were the PLayer sprites just a edited sprite of the Doom player? O_o

Heh that's funny. I once used a pic to make a texture of a rub burn I got from falling on a trampoline. Never got to use it though.