Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deep

DeePsea 12.12 3D Things, dynamic lights, testing

Finally had a bit of time to complete the 3D thing editing so all 3 Thing coordinates (x,y,z) can be changed in real time.

Also Thing types can be changed in 3D mode (including most DECORATE objects and "invisible" control objects).

Supports dynamic lights using the HEXEN args for RGB values (might do subtractive later).

Any size level can now be tested in 3D mode so long as you don't make changes:)

See sbsoftware.com for details.

I think I must be doing something wrong because R3DEdit simply doesn't work for me.

I click on 3D mode in the toolbar within DeepSea then click edit in the dialog that opens.

R3DEdit starts to boot up and appears to go through init correctly. After that nothing happens and I'm left with a window that would normally (in Doomsday at least) show the game inside but instead is empty and using my XP desktop themes' MDI colour.

Incidently, during install I was informed that windows couldn't find Deepsea.exe (while it was creating the shortcuts) and I had to find it manually.

My Specs:
WinXPSP2, 2gb RAM, NVIDIA GFX5700Ultra
Installed to H:/DeepSea & H:/R3DEdit

What toolbar? There's no toolbar for doing what you describe. Did you make one? That won't work correctly.

You enter 3D mode by pressing W. That's the way it's always been.

Then there's an F5 dialog option used to reset values since once you enable "no prompt", otherwise you'll never see the W dialog options again.

Dunno about the shortcut issue. This hasn't been changed in eons and I've not had any reports. Sounds like a registry issue?

I suspect he means the little Radiation sign button next to the light amp visor (find) button on the toolbar that is at the top of the edit screen by default.

I think I maybe know what the problem is too because I just tried that button myself and although R3DE started, I couldn't do anything once it got started even though I could see the view from the start of MAP01 in front of me. I think that clicking the button puts the cursor out of the map, so R3DE starts you in an odd position on the map. Why I could see the view from the player1 start spot when the map opened, I don't know, but on checking the automap my actual position was somewhere off to the top right of the map.

@DaniJ try placing the mouse pointer at the position you want to start 3D editing from and hit the W button instead rather than moving the pointer up to the toolbar. R3DE should start the map with you wherever you had placed the pointer in 3D mode.

Oh crap. I must have been playing with the toolbars on my test setup -OR- I forgot to update the toolbars since that was the old 3D mode that had an extra dialog step.

Need to either update the tool bar or put that dialog back in if that's how 3D mode is started.

Yes - that would cause a problem since the mouse will be positioned at an odd spot. The current mouse position in the 2D map determines the starting location in 3D mode.

Pressing the TAB (automap) key should show you where you are assuming it's not out in left field somewhere.

Thanks for the info Enjay

Nope that doesn't help either.

I don't even get to the title screen. It appears to go into an infinte loop while the startup screen is displayed.

Executable: R3Dedit ßv1.6.33 Dec 11 2005
Game path : h:\R3Dedit\
EDIT MODE : ON
Z_Init    : 80.0 Mb allocated for zone.
EditSpeed : 160
ClipFloor :on
ClipCeil  :on
Specials  :off
UDIR      : none set
loaded : H:\F\Doomsday2\Data\jDoom\DOOM2.WAD
loaded : h:\R3Dedit\Data\R3Dedit.wad
loaded : H:\DeePsea\~R3Dedit.WAD
Analyse base name: ~R3Dedit
Reading   : Defs\R3D\R3D.ded
Reading   : Defs\R3D\R3Dobjects.ded
Reading   : Defs\R3D\R3Dsprites.ded
Reading   : Defs\R3D\R3DzenParticles.ded
DEF STATS ===================
        sprite names :   185
              states :  1077
              things :   215
              models :    31
              lights :    13
       sound effects :   112
               songs :    68
        text strings :   341
 particle generators :    56
           map infos :    69
             finales :    24
=============================
Sys_Init     : Setting up machine state.
Sys_Init     : Initializing keyboard, mouse and joystick.
R_InitDefaultNames: 3 loaded
Loading      : 5 TX textures
Loading      : 428 textures
Loading      : 148 flats
Loading      : 469 Patches
Loading      : 1484 sprites
Unique texs  : 106 pwad textures have hires suppressed.
Con_Startup  : Init startup screen.
Initializing OpenGL: 1594x1176x32
  Vendor     : NVIDIA Corporation
  Renderer   : GeForce FX 5700 Ultra/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
  Version    : 2.0.0
  GLU Version: 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation
  Maximum texture size: 4096
  Maximum anisotropy  :    8
  Using vertex arrays
  Anisotropic texture filtering not available
Sprite with no frames INV1
----------------------------------------------------------------------
DOOM 2: Hell on Earth
id software
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P_Init : Init Playloop state
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display
ST_Init: Init status bar
M_Init : Init miscellaneous info

LOAD ATTEMPT: map01 (3202 of 3219) success.
GL_VERT v2.0 detected
get GL_VERT v2.0
ANALYSING MAP..
  Performing boundary trace..
  Map has been segmented into 1 rendering groups (0.001 sec)
  No map errors found
   Of 130 sectors 42 needed z_smoothing

R3D TIMINGS:
  Create blockmap         : 0.001 seconds
  Total analyze time      : 0.062

Level 1: Entryway

Total load time         : 3.444

Con_Execute warc 495 1639
vsync option supported
glBlend supported
Disabling vsync

Anisotropic texture filtering not available

Obviously this is incorrect. This reminds me, would you mind sharing the code you use to adjust vsync from within Risen3D/R3DEdit.

Actually... how about a src release of R3DEdit?

BTW - The shortcut issue could be a registry issue but it found deepsea.exe when I installed to C: instead of H:

What version of DeePsea are you using? There's a FILE missing in that list. There should have been a file called this in the output:

Opt : C:\DeePsea\CurrentOpt.OPT

IOW, the DeePsea version has to be v12.12 [I've never checked to see what happens with older versions - but I did have a note to that effect].

I didn't check for this since if this file is missing, then the THING specials don't work right and also other parameters won't be correct either.

Hope it works with the new 12.12 version :)

Looks like you are loading the test level? It's sort of slow loading - my system loads that in 0.552 seconds vs your 3.444 seconds. My analyze time is 0.014 vs 0.062. Maybe your disk is fragmented? Just curious here.

----------

The source is up to Graham since that's our deal. It wouldn't help you much anyway since it's really has scads of difference. From different var names (my changes for easier readability) to struct changes, to very different code. I doubt you would want to go to that much work.

For sync stuff, just look at another GL port. It's pretty simple. Find the wglSwapIntervalEXT and wglGetSwapIntervalEXT in the GL API using the JDOOM methods here.

------------

The Anisotropic texture message merely says that you did not have it enabled in the Control Panel. See Textures section.

Finally fixed.

I was using v12.12. I reinstalled it but this time actually did what it says in the readme - extract to temporary folder before running setup.exe.

Maybe your disk is fragmented? Just curious here.

More than likely considering what its been through lately...

The source is up to Graham since that's our deal. It wouldn't help you much anyway since it's really has scads of difference. From different var names (my changes for easier readability) to struct changes, to very different code. I doubt you would want to go to that much work.

Sure I can understand that. Since its based on Doomsday anyway - you can consider this a (in)formal request to see the code. The reason I've asked you is because the only contact I have for Graham is via Abbs.

I don't care how much has been changed (I doubt I'll do anything with it) I'd just like to see it and see what HAS been changed (logic, architecture and stuff like that).

It's pretty simple. Find the wglSwapIntervalEXT and wglGetSwapIntervalEXT in the GL API using the JDOOM methods here.

Thats all I needed to know, cheers.

The Anisotropic texture message merely says that you did not have it enabled in the Control Panel. See Textures section.

Ah ok. Doomsday doesn't work like that so I thought it was reporting that my card didn't support it!?

Now that I've had a chance to play around with it a bit I can see your doing a great job with it.

I love being able to align the textures with the mouse (something I asked for in DoomBuilder ages ago).

A suggestion: Moving things in 3D mode is great but I found it a bit tricky to control as they are moved by translating the pure mouse x,y values + current viewer coords against the thing coords. It would be easier to control IMO if the angle the viewer is currently looking in was used when translating the mouse to thing coords using a bit of trig. It could be made an option of course.

DaniJ said:

Finally fixed.

I love being able to align the textures with the mouse (something I asked for in DoomBuilder ages ago).

A suggestion: Moving things in 3D mode is great but I found it a bit tricky to control as they are moved by translating the pure mouse x,y values + current viewer coords against the thing coords. It would be easier to control IMO if the angle the viewer is currently looking in was used when translating the mouse to thing coords using a bit of trig. It could be made an option of course.

Great - that avoids some head scratching.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree the 3D thing moving needs the improvement you describe. I've been just too lazy to figure out the trig code using the existing code.

It's both simple and hard depending on what one normally does. Since the last time I was a "real" mathematician was 30 years ago - it's hard, although I also know it's simple. Does that make sense?

Send me the code and I'll do it :) Seriously. There are some things I love doing and some things that I just put off. Maybe we can do a trade that is ok with Graham. For example:

I've described the overhaul of the texture handling before. From what I gathered Legacy picked up on most of what I described - just not all of it - one has to dump some preconceived notions here. A layout of the basic structure might help you. Not perfect since I just wanted something that worked without having to redo ALL the code. Then there are also revised lookup routines that go along with this.

I've sort of described the way I did the lights - merely copy a "model" of the light and dynamically extend the list. Same thing for other new entities. This is how you can support decorate rather easily for the basics. I really am a novice at DED and only change the parts I required. I'm sure you an do a lot here than the quickie I implemented.

The other stuff is using reasonable names that more accurately describe what is going on, making most vars "int" vs char or short since int is normally faster both because you avoid alignment stalls in structs and that's what the new processors do best. The size increases are neglible vs the gain.

More memory assignments using M_Malloc, not Z_Malloc (some are obvious when the alloc/dealloc in the same function). Some are a bit tricky to change so not everything yet, but that's the end goal (vs the way JK did it). Zone size is quite modest now.

Also added more stuff that controls the options right up front in the Control Panel. I might dump it in favor of a tabbed dialog, although I like the way it looks. JK did a nice job here. Vanity vs ease.

It's both simple and hard depending on what one normally does. Since the last time I was a "real" mathematician was 30 years ago - it's hard, although I also know it's simple. Does that make sense?

Sorry, I'm in the same situation when it comes to math.

You might want to take a look at the methods used for positioning the bias light sources in Doomsday 1.9.0. They work in exactly the way I would like to be able to move thigns in R3DEdit.

I've described the overhaul of the texture handling before. From what I gathered Legacy picked up on most of what I described - just not all of it - one has to dump some preconceived notions here. A layout of the basic structure might help you. Not perfect since I just wanted something that worked without having to redo ALL the code. Then there are also revised lookup routines that go along with this

Yeah a layout would help. I can mostly understand what your suggesting but I can't see how it fits in to Doomsdays virtual file system cleanly.

I've sort of described the way I did the lights - merely copy a "model" of the light and dynamically extend the list. Same thing for other new entities. This is how you can support decorate rather easily for the basics. I really am a novice at DED and only change the parts I required. I'm sure you an do a lot here than the quickie I implemented.

Thats what I thought. As you say its not elegant - but if it works...

The other stuff is using reasonable names that more accurately describe what is going on, making most vars "int" vs char or short since int is normally faster both because you avoid alignment stalls in structs and that's what the new processors do best. The size increases are neglible vs the gain.

That kind of stuff I've not started looking at yet (we plan to do a big optimization push for 1.9.1). Were there any OTTOYH that had a very noticeable inpact on speed?

More memory assignments using M_Malloc, not Z_Malloc (some are obvious when the alloc/dealloc in the same function). Some are a bit tricky to change so not everything yet, but that's the end goal (vs the way JK did it). Zone size is quite modest now.

That is a bit of a contrast in methods I guess but I agree that certainly any alloc/dealloc in the same function should use M_Malloc.

Also added more stuff that controls the options right up front in the Control Panel. I might dump it in favor of a tabbed dialog, although I like the way it looks. JK did a nice job here. Vanity vs ease.

Actually Skyjake has been considering a hybrid of tabbed + menu.

Sorry about the bump but the version that was on the site had the wrong file name (case was wrong) so it was still 12.06

That explains why that 1 file was missing on the sample out file you posted DaniJ.

Also means that some features were missing in 3D mode, such as the list of Thing specials to change the type of thing.

Debated about posting this since a new 3D version is getting close to release. I think it's going to be a week or so more before the next 3D changes though depending on the time I have. Hopefully a new version of RISEN3D will also be ready by then.