Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scabbed Angel

Snopes Doom

An amusing description from the outside, of Doom brought to you today by the letter Snopes:

Snopes said:
"Like its precursor, Wolfenstein, and in common with Quake, Doom is a violent computer game in which the object is to get your character safely out of a multi-tiered environment. To do this, one picks up weapons and food supplies along the way and at every opportunity blasts through lurking hordes of monsters and bad guys. The graphics are high quality and the gore spectacular. As each floor (or "level" as it's referred to by Doom aficionados) is completed, the character climbs to a higher one, each new level distinguished from those previous by different graphics, layout, and types of bad guys found therein. The game is still the same (shoot everything in sight), but the look of it is different as the character advances ever upwards.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/doom.asp

"Doom aficionados" "Food items" "The graphics are high quality and the gore spectacular" Heh... thought some of you might find it amusing...

I read that before. Kinda weird how Harris did make levels for Doom and then after Columbine it was "omg omg omg omg doom's fault."

Bashe said:

I read that before. Kinda weird how Harris did make levels for Doom and then after Columbine it was "omg omg omg omg doom's fault."

And now it's almost that all over again thanks to that Clinton witch. =^/

Despite the fact that I think games have been getting LESS violent. I haven't seen many games as gory and detailed in their dismemberment as Doom II/Turok 2/the old Mortal Kombats/various others in years, really.

Wasn't the ESRB formed after DooM was released? I recall they formed around the same year...

Mortal Kombat inspired the ESRB. That and Night T(c)rap.

To do this, one picks up weapons and food supplies along the way and at every opportunity blasts through lurking hordes of monsters and bad guys.

THOSE OLD SNOPES PEOPLE DIDN'T PLAY THE GAME

KwadDamyj said:

Snopes kills Dumbledore.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. =^D)

Noooooooo, you bitch!

(Thank you ytmnd)

gargoylol said:

Mortal Kombat inspired the ESRB. That and Night T(c)rap.

Night Trap was hilarious.

"Food supplies" was incorrect, but everything else seems dead on. You can't expect those two Snopes updaters to be 100% knowledgable on everything ever.

AndrewB said:

"Food supplies" was incorrect, but everything else seems dead on. You can't expect those two Snopes updaters to be 100% knowledgable on everything ever.

The graphics are high quality and the gore spectacular.

When the 486 was state of the art :-P

As each floor (or "level" as it's referred to by Doom aficionados) is completed, the character climbs to a higher one

In all the episodes, you don't seem to be going up or down, merely between areas on the status screen (in Doom)

each new level distinguished from those previous by different graphics, layout, and types of bad guys found therein.

Um, not really different graphics, maybe a new texture here or there...

It's been said before but Doom wasn't solely responsible for the Columbine shooting spree. They just grabbed guns and reached the top of the world their own way. The only way they knew how. The only way that those around them would care, listen, and take seriously.

The fact Harris was on Anti deppressants says it all. Anti depressants can cause both suicidal and homicidal tendancies in people.

BBG said:

When the 486 was state of the art :-P

In all the episodes, you don't seem to be going up or down, merely between areas on the status screen (in Doom)

Um, not really different graphics, maybe a new texture here or there...

I'll just save myself some time and concede all of these points.

As each floor (or "level" as it's referred to by Doom aficionados) is completed, the character climbs to a higher one

Were these reviewers blind?!?
Did they not realize that each level is actually not a flat floor with fixed altitudes but rather a varied terrain with flexible altitudes?
To me it seems like they haven't even seen a single thumbnail screenshot of DOOM, and just randomly made something up by looking at a Wolf3d screenshot, knowing that that was a predecessor.
Lazy n00bs.