Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

DoomBuilder 1.67 - Make it Stable!

It's a real pain! It really is! DB 1.67 is so damn unstable, it is impossible to work with it... I always get errors, crashes and shutdown stuff while I'm working on my maps. The big problem is, that it happens so damn often and that I can't reproduce most of the crashes,... thats so damn strange :( I have to save each time I change a single line because when working on the next, DB could crash again! And even worse: I have to backup all my maps each time I save and load them because DB could delete them once again :(... I won't work with ZETH or WadAuthor again and SLADE doesn't work on my machine at all... and it isn't that fast as DB is while working on maps!

Please CodeImp, do sth. about it!

you arnt alone :) i also have problems still like randomly crashing and and closing without error

if you had read other posts here on this forum

you would have found...

1. there is an extended version that fixes some of the problems

2. codeimp will release a new version when he completes his other projects

btw, i love your torment and torture maps :)

I find DB to be pretty stable for free software, though perhaps I don't work on maps quite as large as yours might be. Nevertheless, it sounds like you MIGHT have problems outside of issues with DB.

I don't have crash problems very often but one of the integral nodebuilders refuses to operate correctly for me at times when working with ZDoom Doom in Hexen format, not to mention it arses up for me when I try to make Ultimate Doom maps.

I've always had some stability problems with Doombuilder, but haven't noticed a stark increase with 1.67. From my experience I wouldn't call it that unstable, but it can get frustrating, especially with larger maps. I haven't got to the stage of saving after every line, but with larger maps I do save frequently (without node rebuilds to save time/possibilty of a crash), especially before going into 3d mode. Mapping with DB is still faster for me than anything else though, even with the crashes.

One problem that does annoy me is that I've found it screw up sector references and garble texture names (e.g. COMPSTA1 will become COMPST@1 or something) sometimes, again especially with larger maps. It can be a pain to sort through all the errors by hand afterwards. I actually had a map that would cause this every time I saved, I think I stupidly deleted it though. In the end I just split the map up and worked on each piece separately before pasting it all back together.

The Flange Peddler said:

One problem that does annoy me is that I've found it screw up sector references and garble texture names (e.g. COMPSTA1 will become COMPST@1 or something) sometimes, again especially with larger maps. It can be a pain to sort through all the errors by hand afterwards. I actually had a map that would cause this every time I saved, I think I stupidly deleted it though. In the end I just split the map up and worked on each piece separately before pasting it all back together.

It always occurs after resaving of war_3/map14, for example

Tormentor667 said:

...The big problem is, that it happens so damn often and that I can't reproduce most of the crashes,...

Not really. I had it crash numerous times after attempts to undo manual texture alignments.

Xtife said:

1. there is an extended version that fixes some of the problems

As for this, I'll take a look.

Not necissarily. I remember starting from scratch and Doom Builder (1.67, mind you) borking on me within an hour. However it's been a long time since it has done this, so who knows, maybe it WAS my system.

I think it's quite stable. I do save my maps after every change I make, because I don't trust any program or computer to be perfectly stable.

Just have enough nonstability and you'll transform into a paranoid save freak and little unstabiling programs won't make your life go instabilistic.

-_DLD_- said:

If you hate DB so much, you can always use DeePsea instead.

... for 30 days, then you'll need to register it for a fee.

True. Although DeeP isn't my style of editor, it's a lot like DB, only far, far better.

It's worth it IMO if you're a hardcore map editor that cannot stand WadAuthor-type editors and is partial to stuff like DB.

I personally use DB 1.0. It's very stable as far as i know, though doesn't have as much features as the later ones. No serious bugs other than this Vertex warping but then tends to place the same vertex in two difference places at once cause the maps to have sectors that block you when its not supposed to or have textures that are warped.