Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibaholic

Quakeworld anybody?

I just started getting into quake world, (for those of you who dont know, its quake 1 multiplayer) I get my ass kicked alot on it since everyone has been playing it for so long and there all skilled. Is there anyone else who still plays quake world?

The only time I ever play "Quake" DM is when I play Deathmatch Classic on Steam (it's just Quake DM and Quake physics).

I could've seen myself getting into it a while ago... I got turned off when there was so much custom crap to every server that I missed the entire match. Unfortunately, that's the way it is with older games.

BBG said:

The only time I ever play "Quake" DM is when I play Deathmatch Classic on Steam (it's just Quake DM and Quake physics).

Same here. I'd love to play the real game, but I'd just get my ass kicked by pro gamers that'd rocketjump around my newbie ass and blow me to pieces long before I'd have to chance to strike. The few people on DM Classic are usually just as inexperienced as I am (including not knowting the tricks), so things are a bit more fair.

I've spent far too much time playing quakeworld... I only played clan arena for a few years before getting into team deathmatch and spending many more years between the two. I don't even want to think about how many hours I've spent playing the Abandoned Base.

I recently reinstalled Quake 3 and started playing some FFA. It had been a while since I had played any online games and found myself appreciating it more after trying the Quake 4 demo online... boring stuff, that.

I just started getting into quake world, I get owned alot but im gradually getting better, I know some tricks but tend to never use them, anyone wanna play quakeworld sometime?

About every month, I install quake onto my computer in hopes of getting back into, but every month I need more space and end up deleting it. I've played Quakeworld, I enjoyed it, but I just dont have the time or space to keep it up.

I cant spell u said:

I just started getting into quake world, (for those of you who dont know, its quake 1 multiplayer) I get my ass kicked alot on it since everyone has been playing it for so long and there all skilled. Is there anyone else who still plays quake world?

guess what

ALMOST ALL OF THE QUAKEWORLD PLAYER SCENE USE COLORFUL HANDICAPS TO SHOW OFF THIER SO-CALLED PROFESSIONAL SKILL

snag a better client, i.e. ezquake or ftequakeworld

played qw since 1998, and it has been alot of fun. the swedish and finnish ffa servers were awesome(the closed iNET and SH9). but now it's almost only about eql(european quake league) and such with the ffa population extinct. anyway i recommend the eQuake client.

BBG said:

Not quite...

I cant spell u said:

I use fuhquake, and what are you talking about handicaps?

all those simple color map retexture sets and new REALLY LOUD AND LONG armor/megahealth pickup sounds.

gargoylol said:

all those simple color map retexture sets and new REALLY LOUD AND LONG armor/megahealth pickup sounds.

It is extremely common in almost all FPS games that the "pro"-level players tweak the game beyond what can be done normally.... and they justify that lameness under a huge umbrella that 'anyone' can do it too.
This has degraded FPS gaming to a pathetic state of winner's outs gaming and 'arcade'-mode mods instead of the professional, balanced gameplay of yesteryear.
This applies most significantly to the Quake-engine games... and there are exceptions still, but sadly this overwhelms the majority of online gaming today.
Analogy:
You buy Quake3. Out of the box, the railgun does 100 damage. For years it is that way.
However, in 2003, there is a tweak that allows the railgun to do 200 damage. When you buy the game in 2003, out of the box, the railgun still does 100 damage... but everyone (and I mean nearly everyone) uses the 200 damage tweak... even in professional matches.
That disgusts me.
Why can't we play without the tweak and play the game the way it was intended... the way the map was designed for balance, the way the game was meant to be played?

If you add a checksum check to binaries and the game content sum, "pro" players won't play it.

That's why no one plays serious sam games or ut2004 games competitively.

I wasn't meaning outright cheats, but it is a slippery slope... how can you really justify timers (or a 20-second armor pickup sound) as not a weak form of cheating? (that is just one example)

bright skins, texture manipulation, timers, pak-file editing, gl effects, rj scripts, forward rj scripts, double-hop scripts, distance to opposing player mods, source ports over the real game, don't even get me started on client and server environment settings...