Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

How long do you think Doom will survive?

With doom being one of the Oldest, yet still probably one of the best FPS games there is (at least we Doomworlder think so, yes?). How long do you think Doom and it's associated Classics will survive? I'm not talking about any new doom games or movies that will come out, but rather Doom I and II, Ultimate, TNT, Plutonia, and anything that was part of the Original doom franchise.

Personal opinion. As Long as I have the free time and health to play, I will play Doom and edit it. But, as a whole, I think in about 10-20 years, people will not even know what Doom is. I know many kids these days that have NEVER heard of it. What are your opinions?

We still compare all epic films to Spartacus, Doom will still stand to all FPS games.

Doom clearly continues to attract new players. There already have been enough generations of newer games that it's hard to imagine that a few more will kill off Doom's appeal, especially as new games move further away from the classic Doom style. So it might go on indefinitely.

The gameplay of modern FPS's is so bad that there will always be a place for games that don't feel like an interactive movie where you can't really decide anything.

And even though the majority of players apparently demands this overproduced crap there's always those who want to experience the joy of a real game!

Bloodshedder said:

"DOOM shall never die, only the players." - Ray Davis

Seconded. That quote is so true, and I don't think I'll ever quit playing or modding for doom. I may put it to the side, but I'll never abandon it.

Apothem said:

Seconded. That quote is so true, and I don't think I'll ever quit playing or modding for doom. I may put it to the side, but I'll never abandon it.

Amen, Doom is very much the best game ever

Graf Zahl said:

The gameplay of modern FPS's is so bad that there will always be a place for games that don't feel like an interactive movie where you can't really decide anything.

That is true, but don't you think that all that scripting stuff makes the game come closer to an "interactive movie"? For example, in some Zdoom map, the door only opens when all the monsters in some area are dead, or, even worse, when all the monsters in a map are dead. Gameplay like this is very restricting, meaning no speedruns can be made, and without all those scripting things, a map is likely to have more various routes for completing it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fancy stuff in Zdoom (and other ports), but I think that the gameplay often suffers.

Donce said:

That is true, but don't you think that all that scripting stuff makes the game come closer to an "interactive movie"? For example, in some Zdoom map, the door only opens when all the monsters in some area are dead, or, even worse, when all the monsters in a map are dead. Gameplay like this is very restricting, meaning no speedruns can be made, and without all those scripting things, a map is likely to have more various routes for completing it.

There is a major difference between scripted events or a game where there is absolutely no way to deviate from the scripted path and explore the levels.
Most ZDoom WADs still offer this, even the most heavily scripted ones like Daedalus, RTC-3057 or Cold as Hell. All these have a scripted plot but for most of the time you are free to move around where you want. And that freedom is completely gone in modern games. In Doom 3 and Quake 4 there weren't even optional side areas anymore! All you could do was follow the path determined by the open doors! Where's the fun in that?

But I have to agree in one respect. Making events depend on killing a group of monsters is not the most exciting gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fancy stuff in Zdoom (and other ports), but I think that the gameplay often suffers.

But that's only due to bad scripting. If you design your scripts so that they only provide a rough outline to your actions it doesn't matter.

If I remember correctly, twenty years ago video game consumers first saw the appearance of Super Mario Bros. on the NES (pretty sure it was 1985) - and we can all remember SMB. It's almost Doom's twelfth anniversary, and I doubt it'll fade out in the eyes of its fans, thanks to its addictive gameplay and fun factor.

Graf Zahl said:

In Doom 3 and Quake 4 there weren't even optional side areas anymore! All you could do was follow the path determined by the open doors! Where's the fun in that?

Actually, that's not true. Not in Doom3's case anyway. Sure, it was much more linear than it needed to be. But it was not at all as linear as Quake4 or say HL2.

kristus said:

Actually, that's not true. Not in Doom3's case anyway. Sure, it was much more linear than it needed to be. But it was not at all as linear as Quake4 or say HL2.

But twice as boring. Maybe I just never saw the not-quite-so-linear parts. ;) But the freedom the player had was far too low anyway.

Being as loaded as I am at the time of this post, it will live forever!

So as long as people believe in wads beyond what was ever made commercially, DOOM shall be immortal.

But the community has to believe this as well. So as long as well we pump blood in our veins and share oxygen, we shall live forever.

If people do all of the above, and are willing to map and make good maps, doom shall outlive every FPS ever made!

If you believe otherwise, stop playing Doom!

Since everyone is talking about Doom III, I was wondering, for a age of it's age...does it even have the thing called recoil? As far as I could tell, it didnt. All the guns were like old game games. Where the shots are restricted to a certain amount of time before repeating and the accuracy is random (like the Doom pistol). I hated the pisol in Doom III. It's like the original Doom pistol with it's slow and crappy fire, but a cruddy 12-bullet magazine that made it a stupid weapon.

POTGIESSER said:

Being as loaded as I am at the time of this post, it will live forever!

So as long as people believe in wads beyond what was ever made commercially, DOOM shall be immortal.

But the community has to believe this as well. So as long as well we pump blood in our veins and share oxygen, we shall live forever.

If people do all of the above, and are willing to map and make good maps, doom shall outlive every FPS ever made!

If you believe otherwise, stop playing Doom!

Here fucking here! That is precisely the point. I'm going to keep playing DOOM as long as this community lasts, meaning a very damn long time. DOOM is a cult-classic, and cult-classics never die...unless you kill every cult member.

Heh, and our cult is growing bigger, as Grazza pointed out.

Community or no community I will keep playing DooM, and keep making maps for a long time.
It think it will last longer than most other games do, if you ask to someone do you know DooM.
They are most likely saying "you mean that game", so its a game well known arround the world even to people who don't play alot of games at all.
They all heard of it before.

I said after Action Doom that I was done, finished. Yet it was something my brother said to me that kept me around, "That's your hobby, why would you quit?" He's right, I enjoy being creative with interactive environments too much to leave. Too bad I don't have time to do anything at the moment :(

As to how long Doom will live... this isn't supposed to sound self aggrandizing, but Doom will "die" when Doomworld does. We have Newdoom as well, but that's about it... and as much as I stay away from "site wars" Newdoom isn't the foundation of classic Doom Doomworld is. When Telefragged goes under taking Doomworld with it, that will mark the end of Doom and the community as we know it unless the site is saved and moved to another host.

I'm sure that there'd be plenty of hardcore community members who'd be willing to pay to keep DW alive should it come to this.

I think doom is dying, some people dont even know what doom is. And yes there old enough to know what it is. I dont even play classic doom that much anymore. I might play zdaemon again though.

Scuba Steve said:

As to how long Doom will live... this isn't supposed to sound self aggrandizing, but Doom will "die" when Doomworld does. We have Newdoom as well, but that's about it... and as much as I stay away from "site wars" Newdoom isn't the foundation of classic Doom Doomworld is. When Telefragged goes under taking Doomworld with it, that will mark the end of Doom and the community as we know it unless the site is saved and moved to another host.

I doubt that. If Doomworld dies a few things might happen:

1. Doomworld will be reborn elsewhere.
2. Most people go to Newdoom, making it a better place than it is now. ;)
3. ZDoom will emerge victorious and zdoom.org will become the major site for Doom fans.

You can't kill Doom that easily. Let's be honest: The two things that make Doomworld the first place to visit for Doom stuff are the forum and the /newstuff chronicles. Both can be done elsewhere as well if the need arises.

Yeah, but i want mewse and cyb doing the headlines, else they would be plain boring ;)

Doom will never die, it only will transform. In 50 years maybee we will have Holographic technology good and cheap enough for gaming, then i will be 73 so i will be "grandpa spacemarine" in "killing the imps" ^_^ *g*

Scuba Steve said:

When Telefragged goes under taking Doomworld with it, that will mark the end of Doom and the community as we know it unless the site is saved and moved to another host.

I'm certain someone would find another host pretty quick. A better host in fact, where avatar uploading works. :D

Ezxariarch said:

How long do you think Doom and it's associated Classics will survive? I'm not talking about any new doom games or movies that will come out, but rather Doom I and II, Ultimate, TNT, Plutonia, and anything that was part of the Original doom franchise.

IMHO it's comparable to chess or Tarot.
It will stay forever.

Greetings
Funduke

Doom actually seems to be gaining notoriety in the past year or so. It seems to be mentioned on G4 and in discussions more often than it did in previous years. Doom is one of the most influential games in the history of video games. It basically brought 3D gaming to the masses. Much like classics such as Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda I think Doom has achieved a status of immortality in the history of video games. Now I do think that the modern view of doom has become distorted by Doom 3, but this is natural. Many gamers that started playing games in the mid 1990's remember Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda the Ocarina of Time more than the original games of those respective franchises. While this has led to a lack of respect in some ways for the original games, it has also led to the immortality of the franchises. I do think that there has been some degridation of the original Doom games in the eyes of the general public, but there will always be people like those on this board that will keep the flame alive. Its not that often that a video game comes along that changes people's lives the way doom has done and continues to do.

It will survive at least long enough to be played on some sort of "holodeck" environment in the 24th century ;)

Hey, that WAS one of the inspirations to create the game, wasn't it?

And many of you guys (Grahf Zahl in particular) need to stop judging Doom 3 based on how it's not like the original. The 2 games are about as apples and oranges as it gets. I for one think every official Doom game kicks ass, so there.

Texas Libra said:

And many of you guys (Grahf Zahl in particular) need to stop judging Doom 3 based on how it's not like the original.

What?

I am not allowed to say that I didn't like it because it bored me to death? Sorry, guy, but in my personal opinion Doom3 was a pathetic excuse for an action game.