Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dco16

This calls for Divine Intervention... again!

I am in the final phase of bugtesting/fixing the sequel to the EDGE weapons mod Divine Intervention. Here are some screens:

The mod is compatable with EDGE 1.28a+ (for all you non-GL people out there).

It contains the original weapons from Divine Intervention, except nearly all have been vastly tweaked and improved. The old chainsaw is gone, the new Army of Darkness style saw replacing it. It was taken from the scrapped SQWIREL 2 project.

Apart from the new chainsaw, there are 7 other new weapons added into the mix:

By slot:

2. Holy Water Pistol
3. Winchester Rifle (pictured above, shot 4)
6. Bunny bomb (pictured above, shot 1, it's cuter ingame)
7. Purifier
9. The Bass Guitar of Incredible Power
0. Shrink Staff (also pictured above, shot 3, with "shrunken head")
0. Ice Staff (also also pictured above, shot 2)

I've edited certain things to make it so all of these weapons are available in regular Doom 2 during play.

Also, here is a list of changes to existing weapons:

Pistol:
-Laser sight in higher resolution
-graphics improved dramatically.
Uber-shotgun
-fires one barrel at a time
-graphics improved dramatically.
Crossbow
-Now actual fire arrow, resulting in flaming death states for lower enemies
Holy Hand Grenade + Molitov Cocktail
-Added secondary fire to each, allowing the player to drop one at their feet and run like hell.
Voodoo Doll
-Graphics improved
Fire Staff
-Graphics, attack improved
-Second attack now in sync with sound.
Plague Staff
-The spawned object works in 1.29 now.
GIP
-Graphics drastically, drastically improved. New Sound pending.

P.S. What can I say? I like beating up on cacos.

It's uploaded, but the version that doesn't crash hasn't reached /newstuff yet. Here's a mirror.

Fixed version:
http://members.cox.net/alarrivee4/divine2.zip

EDGE mods are fine... but they need LEVELS. I cant stress that enough, weapon mod maker. If you release a large weapons mod, turn it into something. Make at least one new level to incorporate them into!

Hey, if I can learn to map, I'm sure any self-proclaimed fool could learn as well, right?

Scripting, on the other hand...

It levels were packaged with the weapon mods, then:

A: They wouldn't be weapon mods
B: They wouldn't be playable with other megawads
C: Some might only care about the levels, not the weapons.

A: OH NOES!
B: ever heard of features like MAPINFO for instance?
C: So you would get a larger target audience, I don't see this as a bad thing myself.

I agree with Scuba Steve that edge weapon mods should have levels and chrono if you new anything about edge modding then you would know that you can make your own episodes and not overide the old ones.

Yes, I made a mistake.

Still, they wouldn't be weapon mods if they were packaged with levels, i'm just saying.

Scuba Steve:

A "play room" was planned, but I scrapped it in order to focus on the weapons. It would run like a skirmish level from AvP Gold Edition, where you'd face countless enemies in an exit-less area. Come to think of it, I have an idea for such a map right now, but the release of the mod will be delayed to no later than December 24. I think it is a wise idea! I feel that the original SQWIREL failed because I was inexperienced and trying to do 2 things at once, when playability rests on the balance of weapons. Now that weapons are done, why not do a level?

Chrono_T said:

B: They wouldn't be playable with other megawads

Include a sample level with the file(s) for the weapons mod. that way the level would be optional and it wouldn't affect anything if it was not loaded.

Even EDGE supports alternative map lump names, I believe - so unless your map contains new textures necessitating the usage of a new PNAMES or TEXTURE lump, you can just rename the map lumps and add new entries in the GAMES.DDF and LEVELS.DDF so that you can play the weapon mod with or without the new levels - and you don't have to worry about loading new files.

Proof of concept? Don's Challenge 1.

All right, I have come up with the Divine Compromise of 2005:

I release the weapons mod now, then create an episode for it. For me, creating levels are always uncertain and could hold the weapons mod back for months. I've already had to edit Doom2 levels so that you can get the new weapons in them during play.

I have an idea for a medeval-style episode of about 10 levels. I'll be uploading to the archive today.

I wouldn't worry about playing it, because moments after uploading, I try to play it in 1.29, and 1.29 refuses because it says the GL nodes haven't been built, when they actually have, a problem I didn't see coming from using DDFinWAD.

EDIT: Fixed, thank you EDGE tools for being inconsistant and unreliable. Now waiting to re-upload.

EDIT AGAIN: Re-uploaded. Until it reaches /newstuff, go here:

http://members.cox.net/alarrivee4/divine2.zip

Nice, though the fist are still overpowered, the molotov's flames aren't bright, the player still starts with the standard pistol, the holy grenade is still has crappy animation and the uber SG has no reloading frames.

I quickly hacked together some frames for the USG in case you wanted some.

http://tda.drdteam.org/USGREL.zip