Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Skyboxes

I've read a little about these 'skyboxes'. I know they are 3d like, but I never actually saw one in any level I have played from the Net.
Does anyone know where I can download a skybox.wad file?

or whait for ZD3Kv3Demo ! I will release the Demo at January 15, 2001.
I'm using extreme complex Skyboxes

or whait for ZD3Kv3Demo ! I will release the Demo at January 15, 2001.
I'm using extreme complex Skyboxes

so you're gonna release it 11 months ago? ;)

My skyboxes are really pretty simple, don't really need a super-detailed skybox at the moment (the most advanced part of my skyboxes would be the lightning effect in MAP90). When I get in to the Inferno part of that mod, I will probably go and do some weird shit with skyboxes.

the more i play doom arcade, the larger the feeling of wanting to beta test grows. it's so damn addictive.

Skyboxes are the perfect example of "Easy to learn, difficult to master". I can't get one to look good in my levels, but that's probably just bad technique.

I can't get one to look good in my levels, but that's probably just bad technique.

You need a program that has the right kind of lens effect to distort the picture, or else all the corners will show.

Just a small example of what is possible with skyboxes... http://www.geocities.com/gooberman_and_friends/downloads/starbox.zip - you will need to download Doom - The Arcade Game release 1 as it uses a few textures from that (ok, so it can be viewed as a way of gettin more people to play it, but that isn't the case - DEUTex was bein a bitch earlier).

EDIT: Quick description, it's basically you in a shuttle docking in a space station.

Goober: Quite cool. I wasn't aware you could do that using ZDoom.

I thought they would be using static flats, like with the Half-Life engine. Call me dumb. :P

(BTW, for anyone who cares, I'll be incommunicado for most of tomorrow. Flying home for the holiday. :)

They were static flats. All I did was assign the Skybox thing to an ActorMover thing and set a path up for it using Interpolation points. I used Interpolation Specials to trigger scripted events. I'll be using something similar to this later on in Doom - The Arcade Game (in between The Shores of Hell and Inferno - I've been thinking a bit on how you get down to hell and a nice shuttle craft ride would do the trick, mind you it will be alot more elaborate than that rather simple example)

I understand that... And it's a really cool effect. When I inititally heard about skyboxes, I was thinking about the Half-Life method, where you have six .tga files (or other graphics) that the game engine automatically arranges into a cube. Sorry about that.

Randy says the skyboxes are more like the Unreal method, but I've never played around with unreal that much... but anyway, I'm expecting this little "trick" to show up in alot more wads from now on now that people can download a wad and see how it's done

Yes. I've seen how it's done in Unreal, with a "camera" taking a view of a closed-off section of the map, and how you can have two different "cameras" showing up as the sky in different parts of the map. But this is the first time I've seen a moving, scripted camera changing the viewpoint dynamically.

I'll have to mess with this over break. Maybe do something like a "Rats" map, but without the massive processor load. :)

I've actually never played any of the rats maps (yeah yeah :P)

Good. Spare your processor and graphics card some pain. ^_^

I tried the link that X-DOOM posted.....turns out it's for Doom 2. Damn. Are there any skybox WADs for Ultimate Doom?

Who changed my sig? I was going to change it. Zaldron, you son of a bitch, are you behind this?

I tried the link that X-DOOM posted.....turns out it's for Doom 2. Damn. Are there any skybox WADs for Ultimate Doom?

Is the same way to make the skyboxes. No matter, Doom, Doom2 or Ultimate Doom.

Who changed my sig? I was going to change it. Zaldron, you son of a bitch, are you behind this?

He probably would be, if he was an admin.

He probably would be, if he was an admin.

That would be me, and I would have simply changed it to match his title.