Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Doom Turns 12

AgentSpork wins the year. Best Mapper and TWO WADs out of 10 belong to AgentSpork. Congratulations!

Afterglow said:

It actually only runs in ZDoom.

Prboom-plus will run it (support for support up to 65536 sidedefs was added after you released this wad), but I think the last part of the route to the exit is borked somehow. Presumably it's quite easily fixable though. Edit: specifically, the linedef with start vertex 10697 and end vertex 10694 should have Flags 524 instead of 12 (I did this in XWE). That seems to solve the problem.

I don't see any glaring omissions from that list, though personally I would have included Armadosia and Scientist 2.

Wow, I'm honored. I really wasn't expecting to get more than one award (or any at all). Mapper of the year? Wow. That makes me do the :D dance.

I have actually played and enjoyed all of the wads who received awards this year, my top three favorites being Scythe 2, Suspended in Dusk, and Nimrod - Project Doom (which I'm surprised managed to get an award considering it was only released yesturday (although it is more than worthy of the award)).

Happy birthday, Doom.

Grazza said:

I don't see any glaring omissions from that list, though personally I would have included Armadosia and Scientist 2.

I'm glad, it's hard to try and keep track of all the great releases in one year. I don't seem to recall those two wads however.

Also, in my defence all grammer and selling errors are due too my refusal to proofread and my atrocious typing abuility.

Scuba Steve said:

I'm glad, it's hard to try and keep track of all the great releases in one year. I don't seem to recall those two wads however.

Also, in my defence all grammer and selling errors are due too my refusal to proofread and my atrocious typing abuility.

Why didn't Action Doom make the list this year :P

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Why didn't Action Doom make the list this year :P

Oh but it did! :D

Did You Know...

July 3rd marked the 1 year anniversary of Action Doom.

Scuba Steve said:

Scientist 2. I reviewed it (and myk its DM maps) here.
Armadosia (not in the archive). I notice that Rjy wrote a review of it (bottom of page).

Of course, it's very possible that I missed some great releases this year, especially during the periods I was on vacation (7 weeks this year - yay, go me!)

Thought I would swing by and wish Doom a happy 12th. Holy crap, I've missed some good megawads... I'm gonna have an interesting January. That is, if I ever get off my ass and release my own crappy old megawad. Heh.

Wow, can't believe it's 12 years of DooM and me playing DooM. Happy birthday and I see forward to more years of it.
And thanks to every DooM sourcecode hacker, WAD creator, gfx maker, toolmaker, sound/music-engineer and so on. And just everyone who keeps the king/queen of 3d-games alive. And especially to DooMworld.com and the folks around it. THE place for my weekly dose of DooM.

Let the Cacos rise...

I'm Glad HedRox got in there. I thought it was quite a special little WAD but I didn't think many people were that impressed by it - and it did come in for quite a bit of criticism over the detail possibly getting in the way of play. I didn't think it had made enough of an impact to really get noticed but I really like it so I'm glad other people picked up on it too.

I've also messed around with a copy on my HD - converting a lot of the pseudo 3D effects (girders, supports etc) into genuine 3D floors using GZDoom. Looks good IMO.

Enjay said:

I've also messed around with a copy on my HD - converting a lot of the pseudo 3D effects (girders, supports etc) into genuine 3D floors using GZDoom. Looks good IMO.

/me wants to see. ;)

I love it, 12 years already, I cannot wait until the 20TH!

And Merry Christmas to everyone. And a happy new year. And look out for my base.zip and hellgate2.zip in /newstuff. Well worth the download.

It seem so long since i played the original shareware Doom game in the dark on a trusty 486sx and that was quite a gaming experience I must say. The greatest game ever made.

IMOP only half life can match Doom for the level design.

Twelve years of deathmatching and mapmaking. Just yay! ^_^

Doom forever!
You survived Duke, Quake and all the others and you will survive all the others, forever, thanks to your scene.

darn, another year passes and my megawad isnt finished in time for caco, not that i think it'll make that grade. heh.

Hap.Bir.Doom!

bejiitas_wrath said:

IMOP only half life can match Doom for the level design.

Half Life's level design was never that great. System Shock2, the quake games Doom3 Blood. All had much better level design IMO. But, that's all IMO we're talking about here. ;)

kristus said:

Half Life's level design was never that great. System Shock2, the quake games Doom3 Blood. All had much better level design IMO. But, that's all IMO we're talking about here. ;)

ordinarily, i'd argue with you. buuut you're sort of right. HL's level design isn't anything special, but at least it's passable.

HL: opposing force's level design is a lot better, though.

Meh, Unreal 1 was mainly inspired by Quake1. Which I found having better level design. Not saying that unreal was bad. But Quake's maps had more character. (IMO)

Dethtoll: Yes, I am not saying it was bad. But it wasn't anything more than it needed to be. The game as a whole was pretty awesome though.

kristus said:

Personally it's more level atmosphere in HL than design. Ya can't beat the lighting and the effects as the base crumbles....

those level sets and/or individual levels are all great in the cacowards. Of course, that Legacy pack I KNEW i'd have trouble with. Once i had to redo a section because i saved when a door was closing, and when it closed it kicked me out about a segment violation... same thing when I try to go to map 4 i believe it is, segment violation right away.

Aside from that, any boom compatible mapset is great!

Thanks.

If you absolutely CANNOT play High Tech Hell in Legacy, then and only AFTER exhausting all attempts with Legacy, attempt to run the map with GZDoom. I played it with both and it was meant for Legacy, but GZDoom will run it with a few errors here and there... but if it's the only way then try that.