Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheShep

question about dsv4

Okay, I have looked over these forums for anything regarding dsv4 working in zdoom. I have the Eternity version, since no zdoom version exists. I start map01 and it just sits there in darkness.

Now, yes i have gotten Eternity, and have tried it. There's a few issues however. I think the frontend has only been tested in win98, like i found in one topic. Right now I'm not using a very doom friendly rig, one with WinXP. Also, when I got it loaded, the screen the game was on was not fullscreen or even close, nor could i use my mouse. No good.

So, here's the cut of the chase, can i run DSV4 for Eternity in ZDoom, or is there some goofy intro sequence that only works in Eternity. Right now, map01 looks like nothing.

I'll give it a try... unfortunately Legacy works like beans for me, as it does many people.

Thanks tho, and your Simplicity was a fine work, just played it a few days ago.

At the time dsv4 came out, I believe the latest version of Eternity was 3.29g.

I have tested the intro, and it works with that (I needed to put Eternity in its own folder, to avoid conflicts with other stuff - not sure what, but presumably files for later Eternity versions). Skipping the intro also works OK.

Something must have changed in a later version...

Edit: I think this sheds some light on the issue.

Belated edit (30-Sep-06 - in any case anyone finds this in a forum search): Eternity 3.29g can be found in http://ftp.tpnet.pl/vol/d7/ftp.sunet.se/pube/pc/games/idgames/source/ (the files starting "ee329").

Older versions of Eternity had Fraggle script. DSV4 uses Fraggle script. Latest and later versions of Eternity has Small instead of fragglescript. So that's why it's not working with the current version of Eternity.

Edit: Oh, Grazza's link was more than useful. :p I never knew that Quas left FS in like that.

Thank you all for the assistance. The 3.29 final edition of Eternity unfortunately does not exist at any of those mirrors. I'll do a search to hopefully find it. edit: found one mirror thru google that had it.

And I'll have to see what this GZDoom thing is about.

LOL. Just went and played dsv for a while, than upon hitting the exit button for second level, kicks me out with a segment fault error.

Oh well. It does look nice.

b00mb0dy said:

Thank you all for the assistance. The 3.29 final edition of Eternity unfortunately does not exist at any of those mirrors. I'll do a search to hopefully find it. edit: found one mirror thru google that had it.

Sorry about that. I had a copy on my hard-disk, so didn't check the download links. I couldn't find old versions of Eternity on the Eternity site. Perhaps they are not archived anywhere online - except for some now-defunct archive mirrors that still have copies by accident.

b00mb0dy said:

LOL. Just went and played dsv for a while, than upon hitting the exit button for second level, kicks me out with a segment fault error.

Yes, I got that too. :( Well, I recall fragglescript's bugginess being cited as a reason for its removal.

You can always just warp to map03 of course, but it's hard to enjoy playing a wad if you think it's going to crash at any moment. Perhaps Kaiser can shed some light on this, and whether that problem is likely to be a one-off.

If you do go on to map03 (whatever port you decide to play it in), you might want to read my first ever post in the DW forums.

Grazza said:

If you do go on to map03 (whatever port you decide to play it in), you might want to read my first ever post in the DW forums.

Interesting. Yea I actually read that post before posting this I believe, but I didn't read the timestamp and realize this could have been your first post.

Thanks again. Yea I'll try moving on to Map03 and do the elite strategem of starting with no weapons :)