Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quickey

feel dumb asking

How in gods green earth do you make a building that you can't go into and has a window so monsters can shhot you and what not.

Assuming you know a little how to work with the editor you use, I made a little example based on your description, take a look. You can open the wad in the editor you use to see what I drew. Note that I made the two lines of the window "impassable" to ensure nothing can walk through the window in or out the building. However, if the window is high enough and jumping is disabled, or if the window height is small enough, you shouldn't be able to go in or out anyway.

I dont understand. You Want to make a building that has no entrance but as a window with monsters in it? Couldnt you just make a building with no door and just a room full of monsters?

Ezxariarch, I wanted the player not to know aboutthe window part and so when you het there you get hit and wonder where it's coming form.

quickey said:

Ezxariarch, I wanted the player not to know aboutthe window part and so when you het there you get hit and wonder where it's coming form.

Oh okay what you do is you put a middle texture on the window instead of leaving it as "-". For example

• sector 223 of Doom2 map13 is a secret area that is halfway up a building. It isn't visible from the outside as linedefs 828 and 829 have MODWALL2 as middle textures on their first sidedefs.
  • linedef 152 of Doom2 map28 is a similar one-sided fake wall, it has ZIMMER8 as its front side middle texture, and a bunch of spectres behind it.
NB If you do this yourself don't use a texture composed of more than one patch. It can cause the game to slow down horribly.

Graf Zahl said:

That sounds like a very poor newbie design idea that won't be received well by most players.

Good thing he doesn't have to make maps just to please others.

So if I put in a stealth former sergeant would I put 9060 or which thing he was entered as like a mdeikit came before him as 66 and so he's the 67th thing in the level.

The thing ID is a "personnal" number assigned seperately from the other numbers attached to a thing. To give something a TID, right click on the thing and go to the effects tab of the dialog box that pops up. Enter a number into the "thing tag" number box and press OK. The TID is now attached to that thing. Multiple things can have the same TID.