Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
999cop

Romero's new game

Yes,and they've hit....Earth,unfortunately and$$$ speaks louder than....most everything.How difficult to stay on that pinnacle,BUT at least they were there!

Bah, I cannot understand why on Earth someone would refuse working in the technologically unlimited world that is the PC and work on this fixed, unmoddable things...

easier to program for since far less variation in target platform hardware makes it more like programming for consoles

I don't know, it looks pretty good... They're tackling new territory, and striving to create different, more focused games. It's admirable in so many ways, especially in this currently "clone" saturated game market. If they've fallen, then it's been into a pretty interesting niche...

Bah, I cannot understand why on Earth someone would refuse working in the technologically unlimited world that is the PC and work on this fixed, unmoddable things...

You're forgetting that developing for smaller, more limited platforms forces you to focus. Because there is only one technological platform you can optimize for it, and urge yourself to get the most of the hardware and memory you've got.

I think it would be real challenging, without all the hype and pressure FPS development brings with it. It's like : "Here's 3 MB of disk space, 320x256 resolution and 512K of memory. Now make a cool game with it".

What, so unless you're making a game for the latest 4.3 Ghz computer with the 512-meg video card that pushes 8 trillion triangles a second, you're not doing anything worthwhile?

Romero and Hall were always about simple, fun, and oftentimes silly games, and their involvement with id ruined both of them on that account. After Doom, it didn't matter how many wacky Apple II games they had ever made, they would always be known as "the guy who worked on Doom" and everything would be compared to that.

I think it's nice that they're returning to their roots, so to speak, with small, simple, fun games. The game industry often takes itself and its products much too seriously and forgets that they're making a GAME that's supposed to be FUN and nothing more. Hopefully Romero has learned that.

What, so unless you're making a game for the latest 4.3 Ghz computer with the 512-meg video card that pushes 8 trillion triangles a second, you're not doing anything worthwhile?

That's exactly right.

I WANT A ZELDA 1 RECREATION DAMMIT!!

Once Dashiva would code me my engine I'd get busy with it.

Yup,that's a very good point!You've only got to look at how the games developed for the SNES or the PSX over the course of their lives.The later games were/are almost incomparable to the earlier efforts/expectations,largely due to exactly that,focus and maximization of available speed/memory etc..

I think this is Romero's way of regrouping. Going back to his roots in hopes of regaining what he lost along the way. Besides, it may be a good game. Don't be so judgemental.

Oh and Zaldron some of the most creative games have been made while working within very strict limitations. A fat lot of good the limitless possibilities of the pc have been seeing as how the majority of new games these day consist of derivative crap. Technology is absolutely powerless when it comes to making a game fun.

No no, you all got me wrong. What I'm trying to say is that once you experience with PCs, where there are no boundaries, working in fixed systems is a pain in the ass. It takes a lot to actually go back and use crappier equipment, you start missing lots of good stuff.

Then again, Romero has such a bad rep right now that I can understand this, but I'm not expecting it to last long. He'll return to PC gaming really fast...

I know most creative games where designed for really restricted hardware, but frankly I don't really care about them anymore. They're creative, but that doesn't mean they stand a chance now. Their gameplay mechanics are/were fun, but not engrossing anymore.

Technology doesn't make a game fun, it gives you the chance of making them innovative. Sometimes I wonder why everyone thinks PC gaming's turning into a bucket of crap. I adore it more and more as time goes on and my dream for fully interactive simulations approach.