Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

*Click, whirrr*

Something is wrong with my comp but I can't figure it out. I'm pretty sure it's my hard drive though. Alot of the time, my computer will freeze right after the windows boot screen and whenever it does I hear this *click, whiirrr* noise. If it does make it past windows, my computer will freeze at some random time, seconds, hours, minutes, and make the *click, whirr* noise before it freezes.

Any ideas?

Maybe one of your fans is overspinning, IE, getting so fast that it stops, although I have really no idea...

Sounds like a dying hard drive (which sounds not very much like a dying giraffe).

well

if the hd's still alive right now

BACK UP YOUR STUFF WHILE YOU STILL CAN DAMNIT YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE MODEL DRIVE WITH A GOOD ONE

gargoylol said:

BACK UP YOUR STUFF WHILE YOU STILL CAN DAMNIT

"She can't take much more captain!"

My old (1997) hard drive started doing this last year, so I unplugged it, blew a ton of dust off the PCB, plugged it back in, and it has worked fine since.

Buy a USB HD enclosure and a new HD. Backup everything important onto this HD. Buy a new HD and replace the one in your PC. Copy everything from the backup HD to the new HD.

Expensive, but problem solved. Plus you'll have a backup HD incase things go wrong again. And you can move it around. Right now I have 2 backup USB HDs ready to copy stuff onto.

If windows was crashing does that mean that the hard drive with windows installed on it is dying, or would windows crash if any HD is dying?