Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caco_killer

Best and Worst CD 2005

Scott Stap had a solo cd? Maybe that explains his drunken brawl with 311. Well, considering the only album I bought this year was NIN'S with teeth, and Korn's See You On The Other Side, I'd have to say it's a draw between the two. On second thought, since I'm more of a Korn fan than a NIN fan, I'll have to scratch that and give it to Korn. Although I'm not really feeling MOST of their new material, I know it will grow on me.

Judas Priest's Angel of Retribution is at the top of my list for '05.

The worst would have to be the new Bruce Dickinson. Sounds like Iron Maiden; I liked his solo shit better because he used to produce it differently so it didn't have that boring-ass sound like Maiden does. I was NOT impressed.

Best CD is Cryptopsy's Once Was Not, by far.

I can't think of the worst CD, so I'll just say Korn and NIN's were the worst. ;D

Oh, that Roadrunner United thing was bollocks, there we go.

I picked up a Naxos CD (8.557268) with J.S. Bach's "Goldberg Variations", played by talented Hungarian pianist Jenö Jandó. At about $4 it was a bargain.

BEST: Gogol Bordello--"Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike"

The Aquabats--"Charge!!" was pretty good too though.

I must say, that I haven't ever heard anything from any of the albums mentioned.
Haven't even heard of many of the artists. :)
but to be on topic, Extraordinary Machine.

It's been a really good year for metal CDs so it's really hard for me to pick just 1 :P Also there are plenty I could call worst too but I'll go with a CD I was looking forward to and greatly disappointed by.

Best: Rapture - Silent Stage
Worst: Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil

best cd for me was GWAR: war party

worst cd, I can't say that I've yet to pick up a cd that I think sucked this year. I only purchased three cds this year.

AgentSpork said:

I don't think I've ever purchased a music CD.

:O

You either don't listen to anything other than free game music or you're the Peg Leg Bill of music!

Psyonisis said:

AgentSpork: Doing his best to support the artists he likes.

Well, I don't really have a particularly large collection of music on my hard drive to begin with (about 2GB), and I believe the majority of it is perfectly legal. I have lots of MODs (and its various other formats), music from authors who release their music free of charge, as well as a ton of video game music, most of which probably don't have proper sountracks; or, for those that do, probably haven't been in print for several years. I really don't think I'm hurting anyone (severely) in doing this. :P

AgentSpork said:

I really don't think I'm hurting anyone (severely) in doing this. :P

That's what YOU think! The RIAA have you on their top 10 most wanted list. =P

The only new CD I've picked up this year was Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel", and it was nice.

As far as worst CD, just take your pick among some manufactured pop artist/group's, and there you have it.

I don't think anything good came out this year. None of my favorite bands came out with anything new, NIN's latest album is his worst, Depeche Mode's latest CD seems to be as bad as their last one, and there weren't even any movies with good soundtracks. I guess if there was any CD which was actualy listenable it would be With Teeth though.

Worst? That's like picking the worst turd in a sea of crap...

Texas Libra said:

As far as worst CD, just take your pick among some manufactured pop artist/group's, and there you have it.

uh, there are much worsely produced shit from "underground" and "indie" labels that just suck total ass. Sorry, but as much as you hate popular mtv music it's not even close to the worst shit out there

NIN [WITH_TEETH] is the best of the year for me.. Billy Corgan's solo album would be the lesser of the bunch, although perhaps I haven't given it a full day in court yet...

Danarchy said:

I don't think anything good came out this year. None of my favorite bands came out with anything new, NIN's latest album is his worst, Depeche Mode's latest CD seems to be as bad as their last one, and there weren't even any movies with good soundtracks. I guess if there was any CD which was actualy listenable it would be With Teeth though.

I liked With Teeth better than the Fragile... although rank a few songs as Fragile quality.. namely The Collector... and Getting Smaller sounds oddly like Ween to me...

I think all of the albums I picked up this year were released in previous years. But the best one I picked up was Futureperfect from VNV Nation. That one really hit some chords with me and went on to be quite inspiring.

Worst one was a Pet Shop Boys cd I got for $1.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't know VNV's "Matter + Form" was from this year. So in that case, that'd be my pick for the best one this year. Overall, it's tied with Futureperfect as one of my favorite albums.

Danarchy said:

Depeche Mode's latest CD seems to be as bad as their last one

So in that case you mean it was worth listening to? ;)

I happen to think Exciter is their most under-rated album, and I'm tired of all the people who knock on something just because it doesn't sound like anything they've done in the past. Last I checked a band could do practically any style they wanted, and quite frankly I tend to like a group better if their style evolves and changes over time. Sure, DM's not the same without Alan Wilder, and I will admit that their last 2 albums (Playing the Angel included) haven't exactly been on par with Black Celebration through Ultra, but they werent' horrible by any means.

One of these days people will rate something based on what it is, not what it isn't. My rule of thumb is the best way to rate something is to rate it as if nothing else related to it exists, even if there is. As such I rated Playing the Angel based on how good of an album it was by itself, not based on how closely it sounded to any other before it.

Now, if you would care to elaborate your position, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'd suggest not saying anything about it in order to avoid looking like an idiot.

Thank you.

And Ralphis...you input only further proves my point.

pilottobombadier said:

Judas Priest's Angel of Retribution is at the top of my list for '05.

Yep. It makes up for all the crap they did with Ripper. I cant think of any shit cds in 2005 since Priest's is the only cd form 05 that I have bought.

Oh wait I know some crap cds, Emometal. Emo killed what was left of punk and now it has sights set on metal. With bands Hawthorne heights and Atreyu being called metal I might just start buying polka music and stop being a metal head.

Bashe said:

I've never heard Hawthorne Heights called metal...unless a retard tagged the song.

Ware I'm at all the "cool" kids say they are metal. Also the fact that
a crap emo band like My Chemical Romance could be on the cover of a metal magazine is another sighn that ture metal is all most dead in the states.