Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoldierOfFortune

Remote doors in WadAuthor, how?

I'll make this simple: I'm trying to make a part of a level where you step on a certain spot on the floor and it causes the walls to open up and reveal a secret area. The problem is, WadAuthor does not mention in any way whatsoever how to do this; the door motifs don't cover remote doors, and it isn't so much as mentioned in the help file. I've set the appropriate linedefs as "remote door", but beyond that I don't know what to do. Could someone help me, please?

Right-click on the linedef with the "W1 or WR" Remote Door action and select "Edit Tags". It will ask if you would like to add a Tag for the linedef. Select yes. Then click on the sector that is acting as your door, then hit OK.

That should get your Remote Door working.

Thanks for the help so far, but my remote doors still don't work. Here's a screenshot, if that helps:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/7803/stupidwauthour4xb.png

The sectors circled in red are the doors that are supposed to open, and the yellow sector is the one that's supposed to trigger them when entered. Some more info:

-The remote doors show up yellow in the tab map
-Their construction is that of a normal door, with a floor and ceiling both at 0 height
-I am using the W1 open type
-I've tried tagging the sectors together in as many ways as I could think of.

I assume the grey line in the yellow sector is the one with the W1 property. Let's call this Linedef 1 for now. Let's call each door Sector 1 and Sector 2 respectively.

Your Sector Tag should then look like this:

Linedef 1
Sector 1
Sector 2

Make sure to flip the Linedef with the W1 trigger, since it will only work when the player walks over it from the front side.

Try that.

-_DLD_- said:

Make sure to flip the Linedef with the W1 trigger, since it will only work when the player walks over it from the front side.

You can walk from either side, only press from the front side.

Actually, with teleports, you have to walk over the front side of the linedef for them to work, so I'd figure that remote doors are pretty much the same.

SoldierOfFortune said:

Sorry this is so much trouble, and thanks to everyone who's helping. Could someone tell me the difference between W1, WR, S1, and SR in the prefixes?

W1 and WR mean that the line must be walked over to trigger the action. The 1 means that this can only be done once (like for opening a door permanently, or opening a secret door only once). The R means that you can do it as many times as you want.

S1 and SR are for switches - it doesn't necessarily have to be a switch graphic, but this is usually the trigger you want to use if you want a door to open by using a different wall. As with before, 1 is once, and R is repeatable.

SoldierOfFortune said:

Sorry this is so much trouble, and thanks to everyone who's helping. Could someone tell me the difference between W1, WR, S1, and SR in the prefixes?

Don't worry, you're not very much trouble at all. Just think of the prefixes as such: S = Switch/Use, W = Walk, 1 = action only occurs once, R = action is repeatable. I'm sure everybody's had their little "OMFGWTFBBQ OHW DO U MAEK A DOR?!?!?!?!" phase. One method to get better at mapping is to open the retail maps in WadAuthor and find an example of what you want to do in a certain map, then try to copy what id did while looking at why they did certain things. That plus trial and error.