Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Heavy Metal Suggestions

A few months ago, I was at Media Play shopping for music (specifically, I was looking for the Pantera cd with "Mouth of War" on it...I actually do listen to stuff other than trance and electronic music). After I had found what I was looking for, I was browsing and saw the name Iron Maiden. I had never listened to them before, but I had read about them on Wikipedia just a week earlier. So out of an impulse, I bought a remastered version of Powerslave simply because I liked the PSX game of the same name. I knew not what to expect of them.

I listened to that CD, literally, around 10-12 times all the way through within the next three days.

So, I went and bought Piece of Mind not long afterwards, and Somewhere In Time just this week.

Tonight I picked up a Judas Priest album, Painkiller, again because I recognized their name from Wikipedia, out of impulse, and because it was named after a game I liked. And again, I've aready listened to it a time and a half through tonight.

In short, I'm finding that I highly enjoy this sort of heavy metal, but I'm never sure who or what to buy next. Anyone have suggestions as to other bands or albums I should check out?

I'd recommend some Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, and hell, Motorhead, Diamond Head, Manowar. Power metal you may like so try Dragonforce, Iced Earth, Stratovarius etc. You may also like albums by the older Metallica and albums by Megadeth, Anthrax and Testament. Who knows.

TomD666 said:

You may also like albums by the older Metallica and albums by Megadeth...[B]

I have a large collection of Metallica, and yeah I like their old albums really well. I think Ride The Lightning is my favorite of theirs. And Megadeth...I like them, but not as well. The CDs I have of them sound a bit repetitive.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

You might appreciate Bruce Dickinson's solo work (he's the lead singer of Maiden). I find it's a lot better than Iron Maiden (who I actually don't like very much).

You may also like Annihilator (although stay away from their album "Just For You" - nu-metal shyte), and most likely older Testament, Stratovarious, Helloween, Gamma Ray and Primal Fear.

Other Judas Priest albums I'd recommend (you seem to like Power Metal, but Priest has some real bombs) are the remasters of Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class and Defenders of the Faith.

Also, you might also really appreciate Motorhead, too.

Also, you could try early Iron Maiden when they still had Paul Di'Anno on lead vocals...not sure what'd you think, but he's DEFINITELY not like Bruce, and I'll leave it at that.

I would try The Deftones, System of a down and Mushroomhead. Ramminstine and Fear Factory are good if you like Industral Metal as well

System of a Down...heavy metal? No, nu-metal is more like, but that doesn't mean they're bad. I like them, maybe you will to, Haruko.

*Hopes this doesn't turn into "this band is [genre] u fuckar" thread*

It's fine, I don't go by genre in metal, I'm fine unless the band itself sells out (limp bizekt, linken park, I don't remeber anything quality coming from Marylin Matison), but thats just IMHO, and if you think otherwise then what I think thats fine, i'm not rabid about it

Bashe said:

System of a Down...heavy metal? No, nu-metal is more like, but that doesn't mean they're bad. I like them, maybe you will to, Haruko.

*Hopes this doesn't turn into "this band is [genre] u fuckar" thread*

SOaD isn't really nu-metal; I find their music teeters between prog-rock and prog-metal. If you don't like progressive music, I wouldn't recommend them - hence the reason I've been delaying mentioning Dream Theater.

I think AC/DC is a great one. However, Brian Johnson's voice has gotten worse every album, so Stiff Upper Lip doesn't sound as good as Fly on the wall and For those about to rock, back in black, but SUL can never compare to those.

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Prong, Qeensryche are very true metal artists. I'd also listen to Storm Troopers of Death if you can any of the albums.

I believe AC/DC is hard rock, not heavy metal.

Kill 'em All by Metallica is an excellent album. Get it if you don't already have it. It's inspired about 5 levels in my megawad.

St. Doom said:

I would try The Deftones, System of a down and Mushroomhead. Ramminstine and Fear Factory are good if you like Industral Metal as well

SOAD, Rammstein, and Fear Factory I all like and have albums from. I think the thing that separates a metal band that I like from one I don't like is how much power and energy they put into each song. I was thinking about that this morning.

And thanks for all the suggestions. I think I've got quite a few dollars to spend now.

And I've heard Di'Anno and Bayley when they sang for Iron Maiden, but didn't like their style as much as I do Dickenson's. To me, he just sounds like he fits in that group.

St. Doom said:

St. Doom also said:

It's fine, I don't go by genre in metal, I'm fine unless the band itself sells out (limp bizekt, linken park, I don't remeber anything quality coming from Marylin Matison), but thats just IMHO, and if you think otherwise then what I think thats fine, i'm not rabid about it

What? System of a Down are huge sellouts. Mesmerize and Hypnotize should NEVER have been released as separate albums, they're like half an hour long each and the songs are of varying quality. But no, System decided to release them separately so they could make more money from gullible fools who thought they were buying two different albums. Shame on you System! Not to mention, the music they produce these days is so watered-down it's almost radio friendly. I don't understand how you can call Limp Bizkit sellouts when System of a Down are the biggest sellouts in recent years - Limp Bizkit are and have always been shitty, pop-rap-metal tripe.

zarkyb said:

What? System of a Down are huge sellouts. Mesmerize and Hypnotize should NEVER have been released as separate albums, they're like half an hour long each and the songs are of varying quality. But no, System decided to release them separately so they could make more money from gullible fools who thought they were buying two different albums. Shame on you System! Not to mention, the music they produce these days is so watered-down it's almost radio friendly. I don't understand how you can call Limp Bizkit sellouts when System of a Down are the biggest sellouts in recent years - Limp Bizkit are and have always been shitty, pop-rap-metal tripe.

I personly liked Mesmerize, and I didn't get to hear the Hypnotize album, but I did hear the main song of it however, and it does sound weak, I do agree with the idea that it sould have been one album

SYSTEM OF A DOWN - An excellent and definitely unique band that any metal fan should at the very least check out. The only problem with them is that their new songs are becoming way too political. :/

NIGHTWISH - I'm not entirely sure if they're metal but they nevertheless rox ur sox.

CRADLE OF FILTH/DIMMU BORGIR - Check these bands out if you enjoy symphonic black metal and growling lyrics.

VELVET REVOLVER - They're actually hard rock, not metal, but still worth the listen-to.

RAMMSTEIN - German metal; need I say more? Plus the recently released a new album. :D

No Rammstein are not German Metal, more like shitty Industrial rock with metal influences. Also, I despise SOAD in every way - The music isn't really nu-metal, more alternative metal but has about the same musical talent as nu-metal :P

Also NEVER MENTION CRADLE OF FILTH AND DIMMU BORGIR as black metal, unless you mean Dimmu's earlier stuff. If you want black metal, get some Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Dark Funeral, Immortal, early Behemoth etc. (those being the more popular choices.)

and erm, german thrash is also recommended like Destruction, Kreator, Tankard, Coroner and Sodom. Oh, and check out Razor, Dark Angel, Death Angel, and if you want something humourous - GWAR :P

Bashe said:

Also, you could try early Iron Maiden when they still had Paul Di'Anno on lead vocals...not sure what'd you think, but he's DEFINITELY not like Bruce, and I'll leave it at that.

Appantly Paul Di'Anno is still aroud. Recently he did gest voc along with other various metal vocalists in Destruction's single The Alliance of Hellhoundz of there new cd Inventer of Evil.

Check out more Maiden. There are like 14 Studio albums, and all of them are awesome.

Other than that, Try some Slayer. Pretty fast but very good thrash. Get Seasons in the Abyss and work in from there.

Edit: On the subject of SOAD, I wouldn't call them Nu0metal, but I don't know what to call them. Progressive Something is close i guess, but they're a hard band to pin down. Who cares about classifications though, listen to the music and make up your own mind. Personally I like their music, although I sorta agree with Zark that Mezmerize/Hypnotize should've been on one album. First thing i did when I got Hypnotize was to burn a CD with both on it.

DJ_Haruko said:
In short, I'm finding that I highly enjoy this sort of heavy metal, but I'm never sure who or what to buy next. Anyone have suggestions as to other bands or albums I should check out?

According to what you liked, you could well try Candlemass and Skyclad; both bands with character, excellent musicians, and basically the definers of a couple subgernes (doom metal and folk metal, respectively.)

Add Sonata Arctica to the list. Their singer is among the best I've ever heard.

I guess I could add In Flames older stuff to the list as well, and maybe Shadows Fall.

TomD666 said:

Also NEVER MENTION CRADLE OF FILTH AND DIMMU BORGIR as black metal, unless you mean Dimmu's earlier stuff. If you want black metal, get some Emperor, Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Dark Funeral, Immortal, early Behemoth etc. (those being the more popular choices.)

I said SYMPHONIC black metal. Not flat out trasher black metal.

By the way darkthrone sucks nuts. :/

spank said:

Sorry, I can't take these guys seriously. :P

Granted, nobody should take music seriously unless they want to come off as a pretentious snob.

As a matter of my own personal opinion, I can't understand how anyone can listen to that screaming on a regular basis. Korn, Tool, NIN, that's as far as I'll go.

Dark Funeral are hilarious, yes :) As is alot of black metal. I find it good music, but the image.. gawd

baronofhell said:

As a matter of my own personal opinion, I can't understand how anyone can listen to that screaming on a regular basis. Korn, Tool, NIN, that's as far as I'll go.

You are retarded. I don't think I have to explain this.