Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibaholic

Serious sam 1 any good?

I tried the demo and it was okay but I kinda hated it cause all it was is just some egypt level with guys running at you. Does the full game have more or is it just egypt levels with guys running at you?

Nah, that's pretty much it for the full game as well. I'd suggest trying it in coop and seeing if that improves the experience. Most will tell you that single player is nothing special but coop is a huge blast in comparison.

Serious Sam is good, but the Second Encounter is way better imo.

Both games still have you running across long stretch after long stretch of areas, with reoccuring monotonous waves of monsters, and back-forth button pressing.

gargoylol said:

with reoccuring monotonous waves of monsters

You ain't kidding. I think almost every level had a monster-spawn arena. You know as soon as you step into a big courtyard with a door at the far side, that the door is locked and you will have no option but to stand around and blast wave after wave of spawning monsters until the script has finished and the door opens.

Get Serious Sam 2. Instead of Egypt levels alot of the game is aztec levels. Better yet ebgames should have Serious Sam Gold for Xbox of in the value cases PC. It has both sam games on 1 cd.

I tried this pain killer game demo , the people said it was like old school shooters but it was more boring then any game ive played. It was just guys throwing there stomaches at me and shooting them with a steak launcher. I looked at screens for the second encounter, it looked okay but nothing like duke3d or ultimate doom.

The Serious Sam games are pretty decent if you like constant balls-to-the-wall action - the one problem I always had with them, though, is that it takes a long while to clear most large groups of enemies. Even with things like miniguns and rocket launchers it still takes a good five minutes to clear most of the hordes. The surroundings are quite pretty though.

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter did up the ante quite a bit. New (useful) weapons, memorable new regular/boss enemies, a nice new variety of locales (I simply loved Land of the Damned the first time through... seemed like it never ended). The bosses were smaller, but at least they were more challenging this time.

The only step backwards that I could come up with was the gimmicky trap rooms... not the monster-horde variety, but the ones that screwed with the physics (the end of the third level with the bouncing floor and kleers/bombers is the worst room in the game, IMO).

Vile said:

but the ones that screwed with the physics (the end of the third level with the bouncing floor and kleers/bombers is the worst room in the game, IMO).

Yes, agreed. I cheated here.
Any way, if you love Hell revealed, Alien vendetta, Scythe 2 and Kama sutra, you’ll love Serious Sam.

Vile said:

Serious Sam: The Second Encounter did up the ante quite a bit. New (useful) weapons, memorable new regular/boss enemies, a nice new variety of locales (I simply loved Land of the Damned the first time through... seemed like it never ended). The bosses were smaller, but at least they were more challenging this time.

The only step backwards that I could come up with was the gimmicky trap rooms... not the monster-horde variety, but the ones that screwed with the physics (the end of the third level with the bouncing floor and kleers/bombers is the worst room in the game, IMO).

I'd have to say that SE was much better, and I personally liked the trap rooms, especially the one that was absolutely spherical, being able to walk on all walls was pretty cool in my book, but then again, I'd never seen game physics do that, so, I guess it's just another experience for me...

Vile said:

coop is a huge blast in comparison.

But very few people play SE these days, so trying to play a Coop game anytime you feel like it can be a bit difficult at times. It's a shame, as it'd be a total blast in coop, judging by how frantic is was in single player mode.

I'd make a joke about running backwards, but hell, I liked the game. If you can find it cheap, I'd pick it up.

I highly recommend you get Serious Sam Gold Edition, i enjoyed serious sam alot and kept going back to it. Also get Painkiller that's a cool fps with simply gameplay inspired by doom

AirRaid said:

I've always enjoyed Serious Sam. I like a game where I don't need to think much once in a while.

Nah, you need to think: “Er… Which weapon should I use? Laser gun? Nah. Cannon? Too big. Ah OK, Minigun.”

The Laser Gun and the Minigun are practically the same. Minigun fires faster but does less damage per round, Laser Gun fires slower but does more damage per round. Pretty balanced.

AirRaid said:

The Laser Gun and the Minigun are practically the same. Minigun fires faster but does less damage per round, Laser Gun fires slower but does more damage per round. Pretty balanced.

The Laser Gun isn't hitscan, though, IIRC. (Although at long range the Minigun's hitscan nature won't do much due to lost accuracy at a distance IIRC again.)

ducon said:

Any way, if you love Hell revealed, Alien vendetta, Scythe 2 and Kama sutra, you’ll love Serious Sam.

Agreed. Second Encounter was great, haven't played the first one though. Yet :).

You can forget about Painkiller. It has nothing to do with Doom or even Serious Sam. Shiteasy and boring fights, lack of variety in monsters (2-3 types per level), absolutely fucked up physics engine (secret places abuse it's quirks) and the one level that actually forces you to get all secrets if you want to unlock the tarot card is just retarded. The weapons are interesting, but that's about it.

Belial said:

Agreed. Second Encounter was great, haven't played the first one though. Yet :).

You can forget about Painkiller. It has nothing to do with Doom or even Serious Sam. Shiteasy and boring fights, lack of variety in monsters (2-3 types per level), absolutely fucked up physics engine (secret places abuse it's quirks) and the one level that actually forces you to get all secrets if you want to unlock the tarot card is just retarded. The weapons are interesting, but that's about it.

Who are you too judge if painkiller is crap? thats your opinion but i highly recommend you get painkiller it is very enjoyable for most people (except for this retard)

Phobos said:

Who are you too judge if painkiller is crap? thats your opinion

Who are you to judge if Painkiller is enjoyable? That's your opinion.

BTW: You made me laugh. Thanks.

KwadDamyj said:

The Laser Gun isn't hitscan, though, IIRC. (Although at long range the Minigun's hitscan nature won't do much due to lost accuracy at a distance IIRC again.)

Actually, every hitscan weapon in Serious Sam (except the shotguns) is 100% accurate. It's possible to snipe the witch-harpies from quite a distance with the minigun, tommygun, and dual revolvers if you have nothing else to use on them.

In fact, I actually prefer using the tommygun/minigun on them. It's much easier and not quite so wasteful as the sniper rifle (in SS:SE anyway).

Belial said:

Who are you to judge if Painkiller is enjoyable? That's your opinion.

BTW: You made me laugh. Thanks.

Never letting up on pwning, eh? ;)

WildWeasel said:

Actually, every hitscan weapon in Serious Sam (except the shotguns) is 100% accurate. It's possible to snipe the witch-harpies from quite a distance with the minigun, tommygun, and dual revolvers if you have nothing else to use on them.

In fact, I actually prefer using the tommygun/minigun on them. It's much easier and not quite so wasteful as the sniper rifle (in SS:SE anyway).

Really? I looked at the bullet impacts (at least in multiplayer) and there was some scatter. =^/ Hmmm. Go figure.

WW is right. The long range aiming capabilities in Serious Sam were odd at first glance, but without a doubt they can be extremely useful in some places. Just move the mouse slightly until the crosshair turns green and fire away.

Phobos said:

Who are you too judge if painkiller is crap? thats your opinion but i highly recommend you get painkiller it is very enjoyable for most people (except for this retard)

Who is most people? People who refuse to use commas and capitalize? I donno, I thought it was teh sux...