Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Best Movie 2005

ragnew said:

My choice for best movie of '05, would have to be Peter Jackson's "King Kong". Great movie in all aspects, and I myself will be interested to see how it fares award wise.

Definitely a movie that one needs to see in the theater if they have the chance to do so...

Peter Jackson has done it again! Great job!

My number one movie of the year. I'm really surprised to see a movie classic remake pulled off to smooth and polished. i was scared of some of the cast choices though.

Of the movies I've seen this year Batman Begins, 40 year old Virgin and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang have really stood out. I'm kicking myself for missing Sin City though.

pilottobombadier said:

I think it's safe to say that most of us are going ot pretend you didn't say that.

May I ask why? I happen to be a casual Trekkie myself, although I'll say the last 3 movies have been less than laudable.

In order from best to worst (until I see Kong):

1. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. Star Wars: Episode 3
4. War of the Worlds
5. Doom
6. Batman Begins

Of the few films from 2005 I've seen, "Lord Of War" was the best. Liking that film depends much on whether or not you can stand Nicholas Cage, though.

From best to worst

1. Sin City
2. Batman Begins
3. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
4. Chronicles of Narnia

21 Grams. Yes, the best movie of 2005 is a 2003 one.

OK, jokes aside, my choice would be Sin City.

The two best movies I saw in theatres this year were Sin City and The Devil's Rejects, and of the two, Rejects holds up better to repeated viewing.

Graf Zahl said:

So far Batman Begins is the only reasonable choice I'd have to offer in a year that was filled with garbage. But I think that next week this question will be finally decided.

...and after seeing King Kong I still have to conclude that Batman Begins is the only film that made it on my 'positive' list for the entire year! This has to be the lousiest year for movies I can remember.

And what an irony that I initially didn't want to see Batman Begins because I hated the older movies so much.

I will have to say Batman Begins, it was an awesome movie. It was such an exciting, and scary experience combined. Very gothic, very dark, excellent special FX.

Star Wars E3 was good, special FX were superb, but was depressing at times.

The Doom Movie can be shoved up my ass, they should have never made it. It spoils everything. I'm reallty annoyed to see Doom Movie items on Doomworld. This should be to do with the games only. I have never watched the Doom Movie.

pcorf said:

The Doom Movie can be shoved up my ass, they should have never made it. It spoils everything. I'm reallty annoyed to see Doom Movie items on Doomworld. This should be to do with the games only. I have never watched the Doom Movie.

You're full of criticism for a film you freely admit you've not actually seen. Interesting..

pcorf said:
I have never watched the Doom Movie.

On the other hand, I saw it. It was cheesy and all but I certainly enjoyed it more than Star Wars E3.

I still can't decide what was this year's best. There were some decent ones, but last year was definitely better.

I think that of what I saw, the best (from this year) were either King Kong or Dark Water.

Sin City, Land of the Dead, Grizzly Man, and I'm sure there's another that I'm forgetting.
I agree with whoever said Doom was more enjoyable than Sith. Doom's plot at least made sense and didn't contradict itself, even if it wasn't what we all wanted from it.
Narnia was so-so. It was amazing to look at, but I didn't find it all that entertaining except for the final battle sequence, in which they used the classic generic fantasy cop-out routine more than once. But I guess that's how the book is written. edit: As fantasy is, more or less, the only fiction I can stand to read regularly, any magic item that has failless properties that aids the protogonist without consequence, especially when NOTHING is done to obtain it, completely ruins any story for me.
I'm impartial about King Kong. I'll admit the Skull Island part is some of the best film I've ever seen, but the other 2 hours make it almost not worth seeing. And Jack Black is possibly the worst choice for that role. WTF Peter Jackson? Could have just as easily been 2 hours, and much better for it.