Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoldierOfFortune

The "little things" that make this game fun

What are some of the minor things that add fun and charm to this game?

One of my most fond is seeing a lost soul charging at me, blasting it with a shotgun and watching it stop, then blasting it again and killing it.

ARGH! Don't we already have sixty threads almost exactly the same as this one?

Meh, randomly yelling "FRAGGLIE!!!!!!" when getting swarmed by Cacodemons is really funny, probably because it's so retarted.

you mean my doomuc wad?

I like the corpse sliding, it adds punch,a nd i also like how the shotguns can still go through dying enemies

Back when I first played Doom - just as it was coming out, and after having played Wolfenstein a lot beforehand - the little thing that most impressed me was the way the pistol bobbed left and right as I moved. Wolfenstein didn't do that, and in Doom it was a clever idea and it worked well. I remember spending a few seconds just walking backwards and forwards, watching the pistol wave left and right. Perhaps I am easily amused, but it impressed me. That, and the rest of the game.

The other thing was the way that you could look out of a window and see areas beyond; and then go outside and look through the window into the area you had just been. The review or preview in PC Format that I had just read mentioned this. It seems simple, laughable nowadays, but for reasons of speed most previous 3D first-person games took place indoors or in areas that were sealed off with doors. Almost from the very first moment Doom had a mixture of indoors and outdoors areas that were smooth and moved quickly.

Before Doom I had been interested in earlier 3D games such as Cybercon III, Mercenary, Damocles, Midwinter and so forth - probably stemming from a childhood fascination with the Battlezone and Star Wars arcade machines - but Doom was faster and smoother than all of them, and the fact that it was not quite proper 3D, and not quite as expansive as some of the aforementioned, that did not matter so much.

Innit Refresh Daemon.............

That fantastic blue uac carpeting.

some hidden areas. certain lighting effects. those mysterious looming mountains off in the distance that leaves one most intrgued.

Picking up ammo clips, artifacts, treasure itmes, etc. and hearing that pick-up-notification sound-effect over and over and over again.

This was perfect in Wolfenstein and Blake Stone, and all of the Sonic games.
Doom had it too, and it really broadened the concept.

Shooting the shotgun and watching the pump action animation. And also in Doom 2 shooting the super shotty and seeing the marine reload after every shot.

I like the gradient effect on the SHAWN2 texture.
The mancubus face in the megasphere.

Zdoom:
~ fly - noclip - turbo 250 - god

Stopping mid-air mid fall from a giant cliff.

barely dodging a lost soul in a big room, turning around, and waving goodbye to that sukka, he'll be floating over there for hours.

Ed said:

I like the gradient effect on the SHAWN2 texture.

If we're gonna talk textures, it was all of those ASHWALL, MARBFACE, and GSTONE ones which coaxed me into teaching myself how to map.
If it wasn't for the desire to manipulate those particular textures around in any way that I liked, I probably wouldn't have strained myself enough to learn much.

Firing the shotgun, switching to the SSG, and enjoying the improved results. =D

Technician said:

ids odd concepts of hell being both mechanical and biological. I wounder if there still going to add that in Doom 3.

Actually, through their eyes, pure hell is strictly biological and gooey. It's just that when demons and humans collide on the borderlines, like in Episode2 Deimos Base, everything becomes a random random mess of both cultures.

I tend to assume that the Cyberdemons were constructed after the first contact with the humans, not prior to the first contact. The demons adapt quickly.

- The fact that the sound for the demon dying includes a "thump" of his head hitting the ground
- The badass animated "worldview" on the status screens in Doom 1
- Flickering lights
- As previously mentioned, the bobbing of the weapons
- Some of the stone and hell textures
- The fact that Doom 2 had a few brave attempts at city-like levels
- The overcast sky in the first part of Doom 2
That's all I can think of for now.

-One of the last "3D" games that used good and clean sprites. Nothing really looks messy. All the enemies look badass and mean, there's no "WTF is that?"; you see an enemy and know it deserves to die.
-The way all the monsters switch between 2 frames of animation when you use the chainsaw.
-Death animations are still awesome after playing this game 12 years straight.
-Atmosphere is just unmatched in anything that exists (except a great Manowar song, nothing is better than a great Manowar song).
-Shooting zombies and imps with the standard shotgun at a distance, when you see and hear more than one die at once.
-Enjoying a moment with two hell knights in a nice small room.
-SSGing your way through a horde of pinky demons.
-Unloading the plasma gun into a mob of helpless monsters.
-The awesome lift and ceiling effects that could only ever work and look good in Doom.
-Fastest, most furious and intense online play in any FPS
-The MUSIC.
-Everything everybody else mentioned. I could keep going on but I should stop before I get carried away.

- Making monsters to fight with each other. Funny ones like for example the pink demon trying to bite the human soldier and turning him into guts. Or even more weirds like a lost soul fighting with an archvile and such stuff. I have seen the most weird fight combinations in my doom life.

- Trying to finish(kill) many monsters with one double shotgun blast. I usually shoot equally two cacodemons or barons for few times with the double shotgun, and when I am preety much sure they are both almost to die with really few energy, I try to achieve a double shotgun blast that hits both of them around 50% each. And they are both dead. It's funny to achieve weird combinations of double (or triple!) kills this way, like I think I killed a cyberdemon plus one or two of the smaller monsters (cacodemon, baron, archvile), with one final super shotgun blast, half shotgun pellets hitting each monster when it happened that both of them had really few almost dead energy (I just didn't knew), I have seen weird fun sometimes!)

- I also like to snipe imps with the plain shotgun, the most fun is when I achieve to slide with Alt elegant and snipe them with one and not two shoots as it sometimes happen. Or sometimes I have a very elegant and teasing to the monster, way of nicely sliding/dodging the baron's/cacodemon's shots and sending him to death slowly slowly with simple or double shotgun. I have acclaimed a very nice fun elegant way of dodging stuff with single monster fights, since years of playing so many WADs. And I still really enjoy it. I have made diferrent techniques/strategies for each monster and I know how to handle each monster diferrently (And mostly playing with the shotguns and with keys (no mouse, makes me motion sicknessed ;P), that's my favorite style!) and enjoying it for years!

Bullet puffs. That wasn't featured in Wolfenstein 3d and it made the guns seem like toys. The addition of bullet puffs made the guns feel just a bit more powerful.

That "bone hitting the floor sound" when an demon dies is one my favourite sounds.
Or shooting barrels when a bunch of troopers stand next to it, and see their corpses fly in all directions.

My favroite things are just that it's a simple game (non of that complex scripted mosnters and levels)and the fact that in some levels, there are hordes and hordes of mosnter. AV made it even better with the Level FIREWALKER that had like a hundred revenans in the same room.

Gibaholic said:

No cutscenes.

Now that's a thing. Doom came out just as CD drives were becoming the standard, and for years afterwards it was the fashion for games to span multiple CDs. With lengthy cutscenes featuring poor-quality CGI backdrops, and cheap television actors intoning purely functional dialogue.

Doom has none of that. It has intermission screens and that's it. There is no drama and outside the readme there is no story. There doesn't need to be.

So yes, the most important minor thing that makes the game fun for me was the minor decision by the programmers to switch from making a shoot-em-up with RPG elements to making a strait shoot-em-up. That must have taken guts.

As I have discovered from having to unblock a sink, it takes guts to remain unperverted by fashion, to have the correct vision and to stick to it in the midst of doubters, nay-sayers, toadies, lickspittles, cringing parasites, scum, dogs and filth.

Even Quake, which I did not enjoy and which came out on CD... Quake had no truck with cutscenes. It was pure, like Audrey Hepburn. No-one ever touched her.

It is heartening that Doom is still played by many people today and that I no longer have to press space to make Mark Hamill stop talking.

The no-clipping cheat and its transparent void, mixed together with some funky tune playing in the background, and with the plasma rifle bopping up and down and all around...

I don't know. When I was 9 and 10 years old that made me so overly excited, or "high" in a weird way.