Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Higher Game

Doom multiplayer isn't balanced...

It's time to kill this sacred cow. Doom is great, and single player is great, but multiplayer is an absolute mess. Here we go again. Add your own or critique mine.

#1- Without lag, rockets are borderline worthless. With lag, they work. When I play in a lagless LAN game, rockets are pathetically easy to dodge, even in close quarters. Add in the splash damage danger to the user, and the rocket launcher just isn't fun to use.

#2- The chaingun is only useful in huge, wide open maps with very little cover, which are never, ever played in Zdaemon multiplayer. The super shotgun is the weapon of choice 85%+ of the time (where 50/50 should be more appropriate). The chaingun is decent fire support in big CTF maps, but that's about it. The normal shotgun is in the middle, and only used if the other 2 aren't available.

#3- The BFG's bizarre behavior (which requires a massive FAQ to understand!) makes it unpredictable and clunky. The plasma rifle is a much better uber weapon (it racks up frags much better), yet is much more easily available! At least, on the most popular maps.

#4- The chainsaw and berserk fists should be 100% instakills. That's what the super shotgun is at blank range, and it's much easier to use than the zerk and saw.

#5- Spawn killing is lame and shouldn't be allowed, at least not in non-FFA games. This is more of a personal preference, though. Some people don't care much for honorable duels. To balance this, people should respawn ~10 seconds after death, to balance CTF matches.

There you go. These are my observations after about a month of multiplayer after years of single player. My old dial-up matches don't count, since I had no experience then. :)

Higher Game said:

#1- Without lag, rockets are borderline worthless. With lag, they work. When I play in a lagless LAN game, rockets are pathetically easy to dodge, even in close quarters. Add in the splash damage danger to the user, and the rocket launcher just isn't fun to use.

If you know how to spam it, even in open fields, you can master it. With or without lag it doesn't really matter.

#2- The chaingun is only useful in huge, wide open maps with very little cover, which are never, ever played in Zdaemon multiplayer. The super shotgun is the weapon of choice 85%+ of the time (where 50/50 should be more appropriate). The chaingun is decent fire support in big CTF maps, but that's about it. The normal shotgun is in the middle, and only used if the other 2 aren't available.

Well, if you look at the most played maps in BOTH skulltag and zdaemon, you'll find that you usually spawn with the SSG right on top/in front of you. Chaingun is a worthy gun if you can aim really well, it doesn't matter where the person is, he'll get mowed down. Shotgun is a good sniping tool from far away, compared to the other two.

#3- The BFG's bizarre behavior (which requires a massive FAQ to understand!) makes it unpredictable and clunky. The plasma rifle is a much better uber weapon (it racks up frags much better), yet is much more easily available! At least, on the most popular maps.

Using the BFG takes practice and persistance. Most of the players who play over a year can use it very well. It's only complex to understand if you're trying to take it in while you're still new. In that case, you might want to try to spam plasma. Keep in mind that plasma isnt much use in 1on1, because by the time you rush someone with plasma, they'll have SSG ready to blast you to bits.

#4- The chainsaw and berserk fists should be 100% instakills. That's what the super shotgun is at blank range, and it's much easier to use than the zerk and saw.

Heh, not much to say on this, i'd agree but it wouldnt make much of a difference anyway if they were, due to people using rockets or any other ranged weapon on you (PISTOL!).

#5- Spawn killing is lame and shouldn't be allowed, at least not in non-FFA games. This is more of a personal preference, though. Some people don't care much for honorable duels. To balance this, people should respawn ~10 seconds after death, to balance CTF matches.

Here's a tip, in case you're getting hit at spawn points in say D5M1, try not to respawn RIGHT after you die and see if you can get a few feet away from him then. Also, some players can discern where you spawn by the volume of the teleport sound that occurs when you spawn, and they can home in and hit you quickly. Not much to say on this but if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Find a server that has spawn protection.

There you go. These are my observations after about a month of multiplayer after years of single player. My old dial-up matches don't count, since I had no experience then. :)

It's nice to hear these opinions from a relative newbie (No offense intended, most dont even type as well as you do.) to the multiplayer world, but after about a year or so, as you grasp the rigors of DMing, you'll understand that most players prefer it a different way. ;)

The chaingun tapping trick makes the shotgun worthless. If you tap the chaingun, it does 2 shots that are exact. This rules in long range (which is unfortunately not done much), and SSG rules in close range (very common). The shotgun simply isn't that great for either one. It needs a higher rate of fire or something.

Of course, the chaingun sprays everywhere if the tap trick isn't used, so the SSG becomes more important. It's only used in close range in emergencies. Finally, lag hurts chaingun users a lot more than SSG users.

I've tried throwing my rockets randomly, running side to side and foward and back, and everything I could think of. My friends do, too. We just can't make good use of the rocket launcher unless there's a bit of lag to "help out". Sadly, I really don't know how this problem could be fixed.

I'll admit my BFG comments weren't well thought-out. That's all.

^Indeed, I cant use the bfg well but I see people use it well all the time. If your using zdaemon and skulltag with mouse look aim the rocket launcher towards the ground, and even if its just dos doom stop shooting where he was 3 seconds ago and shoot where youll think he will be 3 seconds ahead of time. Chaingun is good at medium and long range, better then any shotgun for sure. Berserk and saw just suck flat out for multiplayer (Gargh im stupid), ssg is best for close range.

And seeing how you only played for a month you arent in any position to justify those statements.

Gibaholic said:

Berserk and saw just suck flat out for single player

I think you meant multi.

Anyways, what everyone else said here is true. You sound like a wannabe toughguy that got badly pwnt so he's bashing the game instead of working on his skills. Come back in a few months, or weeks at least.

I'm starting to suspect that, RTC_Marine. The part about the rocket launching into the ground with mouse look is what clued me in. Doom and mouselook just don't go together. It might make rockets a little better, but it just isn't Doom that way. I'd play Quake if I wanted mouselook.

I've never, ever seen an expert player use a boomstick on purpose if he had other options. I spectate a lot, and I only see it used when someone spawns on it and they're attacked before they run up and get a new weapon. That's not how it should be. The pistol is supposed to be the weak weapon, and the shotty should be somehow useful in some situations. It just isn't.

Higher Game said:

That's a problem of the netcode, not Doom.

Whine

Whine

That's just pointless. Hitting a moving target with the SSG at point blank is a lot more challenging than an immobile target.

#5- Spawn killing is lame and shouldn't be allowed, at least not in non-FFA games.

Way to contradict yourself. There's no way spawn killing should not be allowed in 1-on-1 matches yet allowed in FFA at the same time.

There you go. These are my observations after about a month of multiplayer

You want to know somebody who used to bitch about the BFG when he started and turned out to be a famous DM player? His name is Toke.

My only suggestion is this; Play some 1-on-1 matches for two or three months, come back and reply to this thread.

Changing the fundamental gameplay of Doom DM is just wrong.

Higher Game said:
It's time to kill this sacred cow.

What I see is a huge and mighty bull and this sqeaky voiced little dwarf in red slapping at its hoof with a twig.

You need to get used to their speed and particular effects of the splash damage. People who can't use rockets well will indeed hurt themselves and otherwise waste the ammo. The rocket can be targetted at an opponent if you can judge its speed and the opponent's movement style, and it's very useful as a tactical weapon for holding the opponent back, or for using the splash damage against walls to frag or weaken the enemy.

#2- The chaingun is only useful in huge, wide open maps with very little cover, which are never, ever played in Zdaemon multiplayer.

Like the Plasma gun, it can be used to block off halls and entrances, except its small pellets make it useful in even tighter situations.

The super shotgun is the weapon of choice 85%+ of the time (where 50/50 should be more appropriate).

Not if the map has Rocket launchers, BFG9000s and Plasma guns. The reason its the weapon of choice is its versitality and power, but these other weapons do take considerable usage in any good map that's not made for the SSG (Dwango5's map01 is a typical SSG map unless you're playing FFA, but even there the other weapons have their use.)

An odd thing to say unless you haven't been playing on servers where skilled BFG users go, unless you had accused them of cheating then. The BFG is extremely deadly on FFA, and it becomes the weapon of choice then except in a few maps where its hard to have many players in the line of view, and in songle player it can be as deadly as the SSG or sometimes more if you've got places to activate it against. Not to mention that it can be silenced for deadly stealth attacks that can well be instant kills.

The Berserk isn't for DM; in any case its for comedic relief, in case someone splatters somebody at the start of the game. If you use the right settings any Berserk packs will go away after being used. And both Chainsaw and Berserk pack can be added in a map as obstructions; in Dwango5 map01 one needs to avoid it when moving about the end of the outside area, or else pick it up when the opponent's far away.

#5- Spawn killing is lame and shouldn't be allowed, at least not in non-FFA games.

Even if this mattered, how? By making the players invulnerable for a time? Knowing where the spawn spots are allows you to judge the best moment to spawn, and the spawnkill hunter has to do a smart job in covering the spawn spots to optimize kills. All this is tactical and strengthens the game.

The shotgun simply isn't that great for either one. It needs a higher rate of fire or something.

The Shotgun is relatively fast, and its burst is similar to the Chaingun's spread but instantaneous. It's good for swipes in a pinch, good for more persistent sniping when you have cover, and a decent meduim range weapon (where the SSG starts getting weaker.) The Chaingun is better if there's no cover because of the constant damage, or is you can manage a relatively constant stream of fire from a more or less fixed location, but the Shotgun is as good or better for pecking from different locations due to its more massive damage; two shots kill, never mind if the opponent is partially wounded.

I've tried throwing my rockets randomly, running side to side and foward and back, and everything I could think of. My friends do, too. We just can't make good use of the rocket launcher unless there's a bit of lag to "help out". Sadly, I really don't know how this problem could be fixed.

Heh, some people fix that "issue" by practicing (improving aim, especially with this weapon which is different than most) and noticing ways to make the rocket lethal by strategic use. Playing with lag disorts the game for any weapon; I'd rather play LAN or on an engine without prediction but with low ping.

Another thing; by your complaints about the Rockets, I'm not sure what item behavior you're using, but the best and most widely used setting is "old deathmatch" with Nightmare! skill (so that ammo is doubled, being enough to last till death unless one opponent is way ahead of his peer(s.) Item respawning ("altdeath") is only good on some maps where the objective is dominating the map by hoarding the items, or for some alternate game modes (that often use a combination of the two); but the classic DOOM II DM game is a bloody and deadly fragfest, in contrast to item hunting.

In every server I've played, items stay there forever and can be taken an infinite number of times. Hogging isn't possible. I think it's best this way.

Rockets can be used to spam hallways in CTF maps, but it won't win a 1v1 match against a SSG, or anything else for that matter. It's used to slow down an enemy, and it rarely kills. I beat rocketeers 4/5 times, and I am usually lagging on that 1/5 time. They're simply not that hard to dodge, but bullets are! ;)

I typically play Dwango 5 map 1, which is a popular one for the tr00 d00merz. They almost always SSG duel and ignore everything else. They use the BFG when there are newbies out and they want lots of kills fast.

I've used a chaingun before on Dwango 5 map 7 (I think. It's the dead simple map.) It can do 20 damage or so on someone at a distance, but the SSG is the main weapon. I've never seen anyone use the normal shotty on this map (the one that spawns next to the exit), even on 1v1 matches I spectate on.

By the way, are there any videos of this Toke guy, or others? I would especially be interested in a l33t player who uses the shotgun instead of the SSG or chaingun.

Higher Game said:
are there any videos of this Toke guy, or others? I would especially be interested in a l33t player who uses the shotgun instead of the SSG or chaingun.

You mean to show off that they can beat the other guy using a weaker weapon? A good player will use the Shotgun either when necessary or when it provides an advantage (considering the shotgun can be relatively good in certain conditions over medium distances.) You seem to be implying that a "balanced game" has to have an assortment of weapons that can be used each by itself and they all have equal chances to win while being wielded by equally proficient players. That would be crucial if you were spawned with your weapons and couldn't normally pick up others, but in DOOM all the weapons are available to all the players, so who cares if A is used more than B, and B more than C as long as each weapon has its purpose and particular usage? This also depends on a map's layout and obstructions, and how the weapons are placed, more so if the map isn't circular or open, and has certain sections where some weapons are used and not others; both due to weapon location and what's convenient.

DOOM's MultiPlayer, (if set up properly and on a good map) is balanced between the opponents, and not between every weapon in relation to all the others, allowing a tight and fast paced game. The fact that it has a weapon that's most excellent for generic melee (that dominates play in open maps) only helps that.

Rockets can be used to spam hallways in CTF maps, but it won't win a 1v1 match against a SSG, or anything else for that matter. It's used to slow down an enemy, and it rarely kills. I beat rocketeers 4/5 times, and I am usually lagging on that 1/5 time. They're simply not that hard to dodge, but bullets are! ;)

See, if you try to use a Rocket launcher as if it were an SSG, you'll get in trouble. In open places it can be more of a waste, but around corners, doorways, or in rooms you can well corner the opponent between the splash damage and the Rockets themselves (but this shouldn't be random spam.)

I've never seen anyone use the normal shotty on this map (the one that spawns next to the exit), even on 1v1 matches I spectate on.

It's certainly not a map that encourages its usage. DOOM II's map01 makes it more useful for sniping through the "plasma hall" particularly because the SSG is on the other side of the map.

I can see where you're coming from Higher Game, I've been in ZDaemon since the summer of 2004 and I've been noticing it more and more over the past few months. (and I'm a CTF/FFA player not a 1on1 player)

myk said:

Not if the map has Rocket launchers, BFG9000s and Plasma guns.

I think you'll find they'll still stick to SSG, even if the other weapons are available. Nearly every CTF map is SSG dominant, and with the American CTF scene fully in the grip of the exe SSG (which has more power and less spread than the ZD one) they're going to become even more SSG-dominant than they are now (I've heard many players complaining that rockets and plasma are next to useless because of the increase in SSG power).

And even in the unplayed and new 1on1 maps that get used in tournaments etc. I've only seen a mere handful of maps that are not SSG dominant. (including those with all the weapons available)

In FFA it's a little different as rockets, plasma and BFG get used a lot more (depending on map) but on many maps you still get nothing but SSG melèes.

As a result we have a lot of people that consider SSG aim as the be-all-and-end-all in DM, and fragcounts in CTF.

if you are talking about the SSG from zdaemon, it is based on a "modified" version from randy's port

from what Dash told me ages ago, the original doom2.exe ssg used a pseudo-random fixed spread table or something.

randy modified this and thus was swallowed up by zdaemon later on down the track, which is why it is different, more or less.

The Ultimate DooMer said:
As a result we have a lot of people that consider SSG aim as the be-all-and-end-all in DM, and fragcounts in CTF.

Some worship the SSG anyway, but if others feel it's too powerful they should make maps without it; either DOOM maps, DOOM II maps without it, or a DeHackEd patch to switch all SSGs to shotguns, and then they should set up servers for this stuff. Unless they can convince others to switch, which is often unlikely because each have their preferred settings, and generally not without reason. I sometimes like to play on maps without it, for this reason; that it provides a different sort of game.

Nonetheless, one thing is a fact; DOOM is a game with progressive weapon power, and this thread isn't saying something new, except most DOOM fans do not consider it unbalanced because it isn't like some other DM games or mods that use a set of relatively equal weapons.

myk said:

Some worship the SSG anyway, but if others feel it's too powerful they should make maps without it; either DOOM maps, DOOM II maps without it, or a DeHackEd patch to switch all SSGs to shotguns, and then they should set up servers for this stuff. Unless they can convince others to switch, which is often unlikely because each have their preferred settings, and generally not without reason. I sometimes like to play on maps without it, for this reason; that it provides a different sort of game.

Nonetheless, one thing is a fact; DOOM is a game with progressive weapon power, and this thread isn't saying something new, except most DOOM fans do not consider it unbalanced because it isn't like some other DM games or mods that use a set of relatively equal weapons.

It could be that it is an official "product" of the game and from Id, and they dont want anything less.

For one thing, the SSG was never even intended to be part of Doom anyway. In fact, it isn't. It was added in Doom 2, Doom's sequal, a cash-in from Id. They needed more funding to make Quake. ;)

The weapon itself is fine. It can sometimes beat a plasma spammer who doesn't watch his side carefully enough. It's not that unbalanced at all in and of itself. It's the OTHER weapons that need a pump up, particularly the shotgun and rocket launcher.

Weapon hierarchies are boring because everyone uses the same weapon no matter what. All weapons should be created equal.

I always thought the weapons were "unbalanced" because they were originally meant for single player upon development of the game, and that it didn't matter too much if they left it the same for MP when modem play came along. If there's blaming to be done, I always see it in the map.
Take the chaingun for example. Many do not like it because it has a small damage/shot for its ROF. When I get the chaingun in E1M2, it is balanced because it takes care of the small guys with ease. Had it been stronger, Knee Deep in the Dead would be even easier than it already is.
I think id's priority was balancing in SP and didn't see a problem in keeping it that way for MP (as Deathmatch was created).
Skulltag I think does a better job balancing MP than ZDaemon but whether that is actually more enjoyable is up to the player.

Higher Game said:

It's time to kill this sacred cow. Doom is great, and single player is great, but multiplayer is an absolute mess. Here we go again. Add your own or critique mine.

How blatantly unorthodox. :((

Higher Game said:

For one thing, the SSG was never even intended to be part of Doom anyway. In fact, it isn't. It was added in Doom 2, Doom's sequal, a cash-in from Id. They needed more funding to make Quake. ;)

lol

Weapon hierarchies are boring because everyone uses the same weapon no matter what. All weapons should be created equal.

No. After switching to ZDaemon for the last 2 days I love the SSG's strength in both DM and CTF. It's part of what makes Doom fun for me and the reason why I'm not playing crappy modern FPS games.

Higher Game said:

Tsk. Stop comparing the weapons like they were equal. They are not, and they are not supposed to be. All weapons (as previously stated again and again) are all with their strengths and weaknesses. Just because you don't know how to use the Rocketlauncher effectively doesn't mean that it's not a good weapon. Doom DM is not necessarily about having the best aim or biggest weapon, it's mostly about using the right weapon at the right place in the right way. Besides, I don't think you are in a position to make these judgements after only playing it for a month in DM.

Higher Game said:

I typically play Dwango 5 map 1, which is a popular one for the tr00 d00merz. They almost always SSG duel and ignore everything else. They use the BFG when there are newbies out and they want lots of kills fast.

Uh, yeah. Is it ok if I laugh now?

Higher Game said:

I've used a chaingun before on Dwango 5 map 7 (I think. It's the dead simple map.) It can do 20 damage or so on someone at a distance, but the SSG is the main weapon. I've never seen anyone use the normal shotty on this map (the one that spawns next to the exit), even on 1v1 matches I spectate on.

Well, I never play Dwango5 since it's a pityful peice of crap IMO (and most other people's opinion aswell I might add). But in the wads that I do play I use all weapons above the pistol quite extensively. Since they all have their own perks and abilities. When I fight someone that use the SSG I usually go for the chaingun, plasmagun or shotgun. Since I don't want to go in close with someone with the SSG. And if someone use the plasmagun I usually go for the Rocketlauncher, SSG, Shotgun or Chaingun. (all depending on the situation and the map etc)
I usually doesn't use the same weapon as my opponent, as that requires me to go toe to toe with him, instead of using my weapons advatage against his weapons disadvantage.

kristus said:
(and most other people's opinion aswell I might add).

Well, as much as I agree with most of your post, that's a rather presumtuous thing to add after an "IMO", and kind of invalidates it by trying to give it "popular ovjectivity." It might be considered "crap" by most people in certain circles. Mind you, I'm not even a direhard fan of the map in particular, but I know there's a lot of people out there who do like playing in it a lot and I respect that, and I don't think it's "crap" either. I play it sometimes (not too well, I think.)

kristus said:

Well, I never play Dwango5 since it's a pityful peice of crap IMO (and most other people's opinion as well I might add).

The pityful piece of crap is hosted on 45 ZDaemon servers (263 total ATM). Edit: And 6 out of 14 DM games in progress are on D5.

So lol again.

Belial said:

The pityful piece of crap is hosted on 45 ZDaemon servers (263 total ATM). Edit: And 6 out of 14 DM games in progress are on D5.

So lol again.

Map01 and Map07 of D5 are 'good' mostly by pure luck. Take a look at the other 'original' maps in the wad. Crappy spam-fests.
But! It's so popular on zdaemon!
Okay... I'll let you say what you will about zdaemon then.

*ahem*
Anyways, as far as weapon balance goes, every weapon DOES have it's uses. This is affected mostly by map design. In a map such as D501, a map popular for ssg dueling, other weapons will take a backseat to the ssg. The open spaces makes the rocket launcher useful only under certain circumstances, the plasmagun is a bit of a risk to obtain.

Other maps, however, may be designed with other intents. Think about the difference between quake1 and quake2 deathmatch. In quake1, control lies mostly in one weapon (cough, rl), and other weapons (if any) in that map will not be good tactical choices.

On the other hand, quake2's focus lies in a variety of weapons spread throughout the maps, each having their uses for different situations.
The difference lies not in weapon balance alone, but on how they are placed in maps. I would say the split is about 4 parts weapon design, and 6 map design.

This is NOT to say that one style is superior to the other, it is simply an illustration of how the map can effect your perception on 'weapon balance'. So if most of your experience lies in playing D501, then sure, some weapons are unbalanced for that map. That's the point.

So my suggestion would be to start playing a larger variety of maps (which I cannot promise zdaemon will always provide) and experience some different situations and design techniques.

Yeah I know. Those 2 are classics. Others however, well, I don't think I've played them more than 10 times in my life. Of course most of the ZDaemon servers are map01 and map07 only, and the D5M1 duel server is my usual choice on ST as well, with Greenwar duel a close second.

Still, the 'most other people's opinion' argument is BS.

As for variety in maps on ZDaemon, *cough*L@P*cough*.

Higher Game said:

Doom multiplayer isn't balanced... (in reference to weapons)

I don't remember it being supposed to be balanced. Why should it be? Why should every weapon have an equal chance of killing your opponent? What would be the point in tracking down a better weapon? Where would be the frantic panic and run when you arrive with only a pistol and everyone else is "tooled-up"? Where would be the joyful irony if blasting away a guy with your pistol as his BFG warms up?

You kids nowadays don't know you're born. :)

[Macbeth]Throw balance to the dogs, I'll none of it.[/Macbeth] ;)