Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

LAN games

What games end up being played when you LAN with you friends. are you lucky enough to know some real life doomers? or is it CS all the way?

Whenever I would go to a friend's LAN party, everyone would be playing CS or Starcraft except me. I would sit in the corner and play Doom all by myself :(

I don't do LANs... just haven't had the opportunity. With online games being what they are and my collection of 4-player games on the PS2, it hardly seems necessary anymore.

I have played Doom shareware 1.2 over serial before, though.

The last time I played any LAN games, I went through a cycle - True Combat Elite for Enemy Territory, followed by Reaction Quake 3 and then some Generations Arena. I tried to convince my brother to play Codename Eagle with me, but he had recently uninstalled it to make room for Battlefield 1942.

The loads and loads of HL mods.
Q1/2/3
Doom
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
BF1942
NWN
Baldur's Gate
Icewind Dale

And if you're friends are console fags:
Halo
Goldeneye 64
WCW/NWo Revenge
Super Smash Brothers

HLDM.

I used to play a LOT of HLDM way back, and we still like to play it now.

Other than that, UT99.

I think we usually end up playing Battlefield 1942/Vietnam, Aliens vs Predator 2, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, and Tribes 2 used to be popular. But I don't seem to be going to LAN parties too often any more.

You don't have to be in the same room anymore, VPNs actually work now. LAN over the internet FTW!:

http://www.hamachi.cc/

I was just trying to set up a game of Age of Empires II with The Conquerors expansion, but sadly one person had the wrong version and the other had an attrocious ping. It does work though.

As for conventional LAN, I used to play GTA, Carmageddon II, WarCraft II, AOE II, Battlefield 1942 with Desert Combat mod, Heroes of Might and Magic II (even though it's easier to use Hot Seat since it's turn based), AvP2 and even a little bit of Doom.

Well, yesterday was the only time I ever had anything close to a LAN party, and we played World of Warcraft. So really, it was more of a bunch of people in the same room playing a game online together than a real LAN party.

Back in the day, though there were a couple local places to go to to pay to play games on their LAN. The first time I ever did this, I played Quake 2 (which was the first time I ever played Q2). After that, the first place closed down and we played at Wizards of the Coast. At first, it was just Quake 2, but then it was just CS. So much CS that I think I spent like $400 total playing there and I actualy was good at it for a while. Then that place closed down and there are no more LAN places in the area.

Also, we used to have the two family computers hooked up together so my friends and I would always play games on it. Pretty much all we ever played was Half-Life DM and DukeMatch, but we did play a little Doom, Total Annihilation, and Warcraft 2.

Anyway, I gotta go cause my friends are inviting me to another round of WoW. **

The last LAN party I went to about 5 of us played America's Army. Everybody else played fucking Halo on their Xboxes.

I have friends over sometimes, and since I have two computers set up in the same room, we often have the opportunity to play some games over LAN. Usually we play either Skulltag or Warcraft 3.

I never play LAN parties with people I know because they are all those annoying people you hate when playing any online game. Errigant idiots who think they know the world of "Gaming" and in reality don't even know what a bitmap is. These kids would go bald from lack of protein if it wasn't for the constant intake of Halo 2's jizzm.

What I wouldn’t give to take my system to some actually doom fans and play the night away.

Red Alert 2
Unreal Tournament
Total Annihilation (if I find people who know how to play it)
Battlefield 1942
Age of Empires 2

I usually won't bother with halflife or quake, I have more fun with the above games.

And the Strangelove mod for UT is always a blast.

Technician said:

I never play LAN parties with people I know because they are all those annoying people you hate when playing any online game.

I don't generally find this to be true. My friends are just as cool while playing games as they are in real life. Of course, while playing WoW over the last couple days, my friend who thinks he's the master of the game cause he's been playing since the beginning of the open beta and has a lvl 60 character always rushes in and snatches chests because "nobody rolls for chests". Then later while I was adventuring with another of my friends, we met up with some other people to do a couple quests and when we got to chests...sure enough, we rolled. Also, he kills bunnies in the game for fun. I'm beginning to wonder about him.

Basically any Half-Life, Quake, Doom, or Unreal title available (including mods), Grand Theft Auto (the original), and so on.

We used to play Halo 2, but then we realized Unreal Tournament 2004 blew that little game out of the water. You have no idea how many hours we've put into Assault, Onslaught, and Invasion.

We used to play a game called Rune a lot. That was awesome fun. Now its usually an RPG we haven't completed or Battlefield 1942, which I'm not a huge fan of.