Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ezxariarch

On average, how long does it take you to finish a workable map?

How long do you doom mappers take to finish a map?

Personally, it's about 10-50 hours for me, depending on size and how familiar with the format (normal doom 2 formatted maps take like 1 hour sometimes, where as Zdoom ones take like 10 at the least).

I dunno...a really damn long time though. Even "speedmapping" takes me forever. I'm a perfectionist though.

Well, techincally, I can finish a workable map in about one minute. But it would most like just be a square room with a switch for an exit. :D

For a more detailed, bigger map. Probably a few months. :D

Hmmm... Try one year. 'Cause, as of yet, I've been unable to make a workable map. I seem to be having trouble with multiple elevations... Basically, everything about making a wad in general.

I take that back: I've made one workable wad. It consisted of two small rooms, a Super Shotgun with a box of shells, and about 4 imps.

When you say "workable map" I am assuming that you mean a map which:

a.) can be launched without generating an error message that kicks you out back to the command prompt

b.) doesn't include a HOM or slimetrail or tuti-fruitti glitch right in front of the player's entry point

c.) hasn't been populated by Things, lacks special effect tags, and lacks alignment of textures

Such a map can be easily assembled by me within an hour.
But when we talk about populating and aligning and implementing special effects, we're talking about more than just a "workable map", we're talking about a "fully playable map", and this takes at least 2-and-a-half weeks, depending on the size of the actual map.

MasterOfPuppets said:

well i've gone all of 2005 without releasing anything, whats that tell you?

This could mean that you're either a perfectionist whenever it comes to realism and detail, or that you're working on a megawad, or that you've got too much happening in the outside world which prevents you from mapping, or that you map for other games besides DOOM and you're trying to juggle everything.

I tend to lose interest in a map after I get a better idea. So making maps isn't a hard thing to make them fully playble with lots of detail (with Doom builders its pretty easy to make a map), but I tend not to have the patience to finish them =D.

I'm currently working on my Demon Eclipse project with the custom monsters i posted up, and i have 2 of the 6 levels done. I need someone to test them though, i mean I can make maps, but 'm not all that good at doom 2 even thoughIplayed for like 7 years.

With consistent work, around 3 or 4 months. I'd have to say that's a level of at least 700 or so sectors.
Take cc2map27 for example, that I cranked out to make it by the due date, and it still took months. Of course I have a full time job and stupid life to contend with...and I'm very meticulous in my own way.

I have maps dating back to '99 that are unfinished, the oldest from '98 or so. These are for my megawad which turns 10 years old in June, YAY!

I've finished outstanding maps in a single day. Usually it's the concept and design that takes the most time, for me at least. I've rarely spent more than 3 straight days on a single map.

3 days exactly.

1 day mapping it all out (pulled an all nighter due to insommnia)
1 day correction errors (not very many, due to 485849+ maps i made to do various things that sharpened them..)
1 day adding all the decorations, enemies and other things.. and to play test

and it came out pretty well =)

EDIT: and i wish to thank ALL who helped me when i asked the questions about basics, i am very grateful for your help =D

DarkJedi188 said:

This could mean that you're either a perfectionist whenever it comes to realism and detail

oh yes. i know i spend way to long doing detail work when i should just be shooting stuff down, but i can't help it.

or that you've got too much happening in the outside world which prevents you from mapping

if by that you mean Counter-Strike and Guild Wars, yes. :-D

MasterOfPuppets said:

if by that you mean Counter-Strike and Guild Wars, yes. :-D

LOL, actually I meant that either work or school or something like that stands in your way.

But Counter-Strike?
....DOOM traitor!

It depens what I want to put in, I can crank out an good wad within three weeks if I want.
But most of the time im putting way more effort into my maps, so it will probably take me something like three monts or so.

I've done 600 sectors for the first map of PDZ in about 8hours and managed to do two sprites and some dehacked. The 8 hours was over 2 days. And one of them I had to work. This includes thing placement.

It'll probably take me another 4 hours to finish the map.

I made an awesome FFA deathmatch map for UDMX in 20 minutes. That's my current record at the moment.

Well.. the latest map i did took me a week.. populated by everything but enemies.. then i switched to skulltag formatt.. and its gonna take me while.. more stuff to learn.. so the learning curve will push away the time to make maps.

deathz0r said:

I made an awesome FFA deathmatch map for UDMX in 20 minutes. That's my current record at the moment.

It took you longer to make canthide.wad? :O

I can put together a decent map in 1 week. This includes lighting, texture alignment, monster, health and weapon placement and of course the exit.

Cadman