Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

Please post vanilla doom editing tricks

For some reason I like the art of making <<doom.exe-doom.wad>> novelties thru WinDEU or the like. Here are some of the tricks I found. Since they're not all, posting more is welcome. You may ask how to.
Here are some:

-controlled height change;
-deep water/inviso floor/grates door;
-hidden lost soul in a remote sector, meant to move lifts at will;
-popup teleportation of exploding barrel nearby (landmine);
-raising a floor to a floor populated by baddies; the baddies would be able to cross the line that teleports them somewhere. Multiple floors means more stages of monsters before a same-sector raising platform makes a bridge (I made one of these trials and it worked wonders.);

Yeah, they're nice, but (myself) I'm more interested in gameplay effects than art & aesthetics. No offence :).

somewhat unreleated:

how to have a platform/wall/etc. lower to a specified height above the ground:

1. have your platform sector
2. have a sector inside that at the desired target height, make it very small, like 4by4 pixels so any monsters on the platform dont get stuck on it
3. dont apply textures to the sides of the little hole that is now in the platform but make sure that the mini sector has the same lighting and flats as the main one

lower the main sector to highest adjacent floor

you can now stick it in the middle of an open area, with monsters on top, and lower it with a switch, having it stop a nice amount above the ground, no dummy sectors needed

Draw your water sector A, then draw a sector B within that water sector A. Move the edges of B close to the edges of A. Lower B as deep as you want your water to be. Remove all the textures on the sides of B.

(well, if you want to delete the bleeding water flat...)
In fact, akordin' to gamers.org/pub/idgames/docs/editing/dtricks1.zip , ya make a POOL sector. Inside POOL you create ANOTHER one, with identical flats and ceiling but lower floor. Make both of ANOTHER's linedefs' sides point to sector ID# of ANOTHER (not just one side.)
So that if you highlight POOL you see a single box lit, not both sectors.

This way you can make better looking 'swimming pools.' It's a bit more work, but if you want to pass the purists, something can be done in this case. But still - you can't dive without visual punishment. Neither have friction.
Personally I'd opt for CodeImp's solution, it messes people up and that's for DOOM.

Usually when deep water effect is used, they make it so that you never go with your eyes below the water surface, so you don't see the problems that come with it. Just don't make your water that deep. If you want water that you actually can dive in, you'll have to let go of the original Doom and use something like ZDoom.

thats what i was using.. but i just took a peek at the first level in the second episode of skull tag and found how to make swimable water, thank you all for helping me though, e.e; i must be annoying to have to answer all these questions i ask..

Follow the link to Hykkelbjerg's old pages at the Doomworld Editing Tutorials (see? you need it) for a detailed explanation plus example level of a Deep Water vanilla Doom effect.

Please note that sprite clipping does not happen in vanilla Deep Water. So the effect gets ruined when a monster or projectile enters it.

Mordeth said:

Please note that sprite clipping does not happen in vanilla Deep Water. So the effect gets ruined when a monster or projectile enters it.

Err, not quite :). It makes water seem transparent. I do like it.

Everybody else thinks a non-clipping sprite moving across a tilted water flat kinda spoils the illusion, but ok ;)