Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

Level Ends After All Monsters Die

For that you need some form of scripting.

In ACS, give all monsters a Tid of 1 and then use Thingcount to check whether some are still alive.

I'm not entirely sure about this, because I've never ever tried to do this myself, but I've heard about it at some time, try this:

Place a Spider Mastermind or a Cyberdemon inside a sector which has been assigned the sector tag #666.

That way, according to what I've read somewhere a very long time ago, as soon as that last monster hits the ground, the level should be over.

Once I tried to do such a thing in the never-released "Outpost of Hell 3 - The Citadel", but I wasn't successful! :( ...and that level contained some Archies... so the problem could be related to it...!

DarkJedi188 said:

I'm not entirely sure about this, because I've never ever tried to do this myself, but I've heard about it at some time, try this:

Place a Spider Mastermind or a Cyberdemon inside a sector which has been assigned the sector tag #666.

That way, according to what I've read somewhere a very long time ago, as soon as that last monster hits the ground, the level should be over.

That won't work in any source port.

DarkJedi188: You're thinking about the effect where in E1M8 and some other map-slots in Doom you place Barons of hell in the map and tag a sector to 666, you will experience that when the barons died the floor will lower. (there's variations to this, such as the exit of the map in E2M8 and E3M8, or the stair building etc in Map07 of Doom2)

You can use dehacked to have the level end when all monsters of a certain type are dead. However, this wouldn't be of much use in this case, as presumably there will be more than one type of monster in the map. And it could foul things up in a multi-level wad.

In Doom2, you can (again with dehacked) give a type of monster the Commander Keen code pointer and thus act upon sectors with tag 666 when they are all killed. Again, it's not quite what you're after, but it might help a bit.

I gave some details here.

BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to do the same thing in Ultimate Doom in some way? I was looking for a simple fix for uac_dead using dehacked (to make the cyber death trigger tag 666 in e1m8), but had no success.

Grazza said:

In Doom2, you can (again with dehacked) give a type of monster the Commander Keen code pointer and thus act upon sectors with tag 666 when they are all killed. Again, it's not quite what you're after, but it might help a bit.

With a bit more work, you could turn keen into another doom monster (by re-referencing frames) and making up an additional death sequence utilizing the KeenDie codepointer. That way, you can use the normal version of that monster however you like, but have that KeenDie version for when you need it.

Now, say if you did this with the Cyberdemon for example, you can use normal Cyberdemons anywhere in your level, but near the end of your level, you would have to face a group of your special Cyberdemons (modified keens), that when all are dead, release the exit.

EarthQuake said:

...that when all are dead, release the exit.

Or open a door that allows a voodoo doll to be carried across a start crusher line where the crusher kills an enemy with an end level pointer in its death sequence.

Meh! scripting is easier.

Enjay said:

Or open a door that allows a voodoo doll to be carried across a start crusher line where the crusher kills an enemy with an end level pointer in its death sequence.

Meh! scripting is easier.

That would require Boom. Vanilla doesn't support VoodooScript.

BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to do the same thing in Ultimate Doom in some way? I was looking for a simple fix for uac_dead using dehacked (to make the cyber death trigger tag 666 in e1m8), but had no success. [/B]

The KeenDie code pointer also works with Ultimate Doom. But since it opens a door as opposed to lowering the floor it won't help much.

To 'fix' this you need a source port that can customize monster death actions. There is a patch for ZDoom in the /idgames archive (or use Chocolate Doom. AFAIK it changed this back to the old behavior.)

Sure, there are ways around it, such as using Doom2.exe (instead of Doom.exe) or Chocolate-Doom's -gameversion. I was just curious if there was a pure dehacked solution (i.e. works with most exes).

I thought there might be a way to solve it by giving the cyber the baron's codepointer, but I'd tried everything that seemed feasible, with no effect.

Grazza said:

I thought there might be a way to solve it by giving the cyber the baron's codepointer, but I'd tried everything that seemed feasible, with no effect.

It's exactly the same code pointer. The type check is done inside the code. This problem is unfixable with executables that don't enhance customizability.

Graf Zahl said:

That would require Boom. Vanilla doesn't support VoodooScript.

You can blow up a barrel to thrust the doll.

Ebon said:

You can blow up a barrel to thrust the doll.

True, but beside the damage issue, you'd have to have some way of activating something to blow up the barrel - usually a crusher which requires a player activated line.

Mind you, SlatheDoomer hasn't commented again in this thread. We don't know if he's working with Vanilla, Boom compat, Zdoom or what. :/

Dark: see Chris Lutz for the best example of Voodoscripts.

Basically it's a voodoo doll (extra player in the map) that moves along a conveyor belt outside the actual map, and on that cross a number of linedefs creating a sequence of events, a kind of script. Hence Voodooscript.

I'm using ZDOOM. I have so much to learn yet. I just got started with Dehacking, I've seen some weapon mods and they are fairly impressive. What software do you guys use to do all of this stuff? I've seen some weapons do crazy things, I've just been replacing the sprites and adding weight and gravity to make grenade launchers and such.

The problem right now is I am using Marines in ZDOOM as enemies, it's part of the story. They don't register as monsters though.

Would tagging all of the monsters/marines with the effect of End Level(Normal) work?

Thanks,

SlatheDoomer