Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

Which is better: Doom 3 or Quake 4?

I think the subject heading of this topic is pretty self explanatory... which is better in terms of gameplay, storyline, and scariness.

I've played both, and I prefer Doom 3's atmosphere but I think Quake 4 goes on longer without being repetitive and that several parts of it are scarier than anything in Doom 3.

I could make a poll and throw in FEAR as well.

I wasn't impressed with either.

Doom3:ROE was better than Doom3.
Doom3 multiplayer sucks.
Quake4 is a poor man's Quake3/Quake2 conversion... and it's multiplayer seems to be severely worse than Q3/Q2's.
HL2 was so heavily scripted and plain.. and was a team-game, not a single-player game, that is also blew, IMHO.
(although CSS and other add-ons might make this worth playing)

Quake4 is the best of those 3... but they are all just another game, instead of being a game that you invest your time in.(like DOOM or Quake)
btw, none of those three are scary at all. Q4 has the best storyline.
It does seem that a great game could be developed with either gaming engine though... we'll have to wait and see...

I liked quake 4 much better than doom 3. It was fast paced, the weapons were better, and the strogg just kicked ass. As for future games using the Doom 3 engine, Prey looks promising.

Prey looks like the holy one for me. But I enjoy both of them. Doom3's multi prevents spawn rapage which is good. Quake 4's multi is just quake 3's which is a excuse to not have its own signature multi. Quake 4's single player was follow the green door but has its moments. Quake 4's multiplayer is a bit slow for me but im sure future patches will fix that up. I like quake 4's artwork, its none of that boring satanic goofy weird shit like in quake 3. So over all I like quake 4 single player better and I like Doom3's multiplayer better than Quake 4's. As for half life 2, there are times when your solo so its not just team play, ive yet to play its multiplayer though because all I have is the demo.

I play hl2 multi all the time(deathmatch) and I have a blast. There's countless servers and an endless amount of maps to play on. The lag is near non existent as well.

Hard one. I loved Doom 3's monster designs and thought Quake four didn't clamp on Quake 2's characters. Doom 3 multi player isn't fun while I love Quake 4s. Both games suffer heavy scripting and both are too linear for any taste.

If I had to choose I'd say Quake 4. My moneys on Prey however. It looks awesome.

Quake 4 is suppose to be kind of a Quake 2 remake only continuing the story so theres no old quake 2 guys remodeled there just all totally redone models with new looks and such.

Gibaholic said:

Quake 4 is suppose to be kind of a Quake 2 remake only continuing the story so theres no old quake 2 guys remodeled there just all totally redone models with new looks and such.

Alright, other than Doom 2, name an fps sequel that's consistent with it's predecessor?

baronofhell said:

Quake 4 is a sequel to Quake 2, it takes place immediately after the end of Quake 2.

oh, i'm sorry, i thought it was continuing off the plot of quake3arena.

Doom 3.

More interesting enemies, the weapons feel better, and it did acully scare me a few times the first time around. less gimmicky things.

oh, and hlaf-life 2 blows them both out of the water.

gargoylol said:

Alright, other than Doom 2, name an fps sequel that's consistent with it's predecessor?

Spear of destiny.

Doom 3 bored me to sleep so I uninstalled after playing half through it.
Quake bored me as well with its heavily scripted gameplay but it wasn't as bad as Doom 3 which was mostly due to the level design. But that still doesn't make it a good game.

In the end I'd rate Doom3 D- and Quake 4 C-. HL2 fails by default thanks to Steam.

q4 was better because of the more colorful amount weapons and enemies it has. However D3 wins when it comes to plot.

q4 has fun multi but it requires a good comp to run it at 60fps.

gargoylol said:

oh, i'm sorry, i thought it was continuing off the plot of quake3arena.

Quake3 plot(WARNING SPOILERS):

Some aliens take you and pit you against other dudes. Oh yeah you have to shoot them.

BlackFish said:

no final boss!

That doesn't bother me. I neither need nor expect a final showdown in a contrived arena. Just completing what you need to do to win within the context of the reality set-up by the game is fine by me. I don't need some giant thingumabob that needs 500 rockets shoved down its throat, or me to work out some cunning trick with switches and teleports or a special weapon or whatever, and which is usually something quite different to the feel of the rest of the game.

In fact, no boss (if handled well) could well be a plus point for me.

I've seen enough people recommending FEAR. Looks like I'll have to check it out.

Enjay said:

That doesn't bother me. I neither need nor expect a final showdown in a contrived arena. Just completing what you need to do to win within the context of the reality set-up by the game is fine by me. I don't need some giant thingumabob that needs 500 rockets shoved down its throat, or me to work out some cunning trick with switches and teleports or a special weapon or whatever, and which is usually something quite different to the feel of the rest of the game.

In fact, no boss (if handled well) could well be a plus point for me.

I've seen enough people recommending FEAR. Looks like I'll have to check it out.

I totally agree with what you said and I think most games have crap end bosses anyways.

Yeah, bosses are so yesterday. I have Fear but haven't been able to play it because my monitor shuts off and the computer doesn't respond after a few minutes of gameplay.

Doom3 by far.
Quake4 felt uninspired and unpolished. It was still a good game, but it never gave me a reason to care about anything in the plot. A good example of what I mean is that after playing Doom3 I knew all of the character's names and what they were doing. After Quake4 I could only remember two names, Kane and Strauss. Quake4 also felt too long. The last 1/4th or 1/5th was trite in my opinion.

I thought that the Delta Labs were pretty boring in Doom 3.

Oh, and Half Life 2 is an awesome game. Hating it just because of Steam isn't very reasonable, especially if you consider that Steam isn't a big deal... i never even notice it.

Aseph said:

if you consider that Steam isn't a big deal... i never even notice it.

Ignorant fool! No wonder that the companies can force all kinds of vile control mechanisms on their users if they don't see what the true intent of such a scheme is.

Aside from being an immediate problem the whole idea behind Steam is utterly repulsive. I will never *ever* install software on my computer I don't have full control over. Steam is taking away exactly that because it gives Valve all the rights to mess with me any way they want.

As for the immediate problems:

1. It forces you to install a spyware like application to play the game.
2. Its license explicitly prohibits you from selling the game.

In other words: No blind purchase and no checking out the game, hence no buy. I don't keep modern games long enough for this not to be a major issue.

which is better in terms of gameplay, storyline, and scariness

I'm a DooM3 fanboy, mostly because of the graphics and the monsters, and I liked the dark areas better because it can get intensive when you play the game without needing the flashlight (as opposed to slowly entering every dark corridor with the flashlight, that's repetitive). I like the new gameplay, but I recommend CDooM3 mod if you felt it should have kept the classic DooM gameplay. Quake 4 had better guns, and a faster multiplayer though.

Here's my list (played each from beginning to end)
1.DooM3&ROE - Awesome hell level(s) and monsters, double shotgun is a blast, cool mods.
2.Serious Sam 2 - Smooth GFX and great variety of levels, and the crapload of enemies (M. Institution is fav level!)
3.Quake 4 - Sweet big guns, Q3-style MP, and cool monsters, although I never completed Q2. Huge Guts!!1!!1
4.F.E.A.R. - great GFX, tactical gameplay and AI, but not much variety in most fields of the game.
5.Half-Life 2 - although I had no problems with Steam at all, it was very linear and the weapons were just high-GFX versions of HL1 weapons (Grav. Gun was awesome though, especially when blue), and tedious replayability. CSS was cool though if you liked the original CS.

Future games I want to buy:
Prey - Innovative as hell with gravity and portals,etc.
Quake Wars - Didn't like BF2 cause it was realistic(laggy2)
Huxley - MMOFPS with Unreal 3 engine, 'nuff said.
"RTCW2" - Don't like CoD, MoH,etc. but I liked RTCW1 action

Aseph said:

Steam isn't a big deal...

Balls! Great big hairy, sweaty ones. Steam is a big deal. Graf outlined some of the reasons why. It's a big deal in the immediate impact it has on your ability to play the game. It is a big deal in the way it means you need an internet connection to play a game you have bought the full content of on DVD and have no intention of playing online. It is a big deal in the impact it has on the general performance of your computer (at the default setting). It is a big deal in the principles it establishes for Valve and potentially other companies. It's a big deal the way it "phones home" by default every time you play. It is a big deal in the way it assumes I will be OK with installing something that gives me no benefit what so ever but allows its parent company to filter "news" and other marketing shit in my direction. It's a big deal that they think I am stupid enough not to realise that. And finally, it's a big deal in the impact it has on what you can do with the game once you decide you no longer want your copy.

Steam gives the user nothing - nothing whatsoever - of benefit to them that could not be done in an easier, more friendly, more suitable, more optional way but it does have huge drawbacks in everyday use, let alone all the principle issues. It's certainly not for your benefit - so why does it exist? That's rhetorical by the way.

Hopefully, it's a big enough deal that there are lots of people like Graf and I saying "no thank you Valve" to hit the company where it hurts - in the wallet. Until Valve start releasing Steam-free products, my association with them is over (and I have bought plenty of their products in the past). I don't care how good or enticing their next product is. If it comes bundled with Steam, I'm not going to be its whore.

Prey will offer a Steam-like service as well where you register and pay to download the game, but you don't have to login online every time you want to play SP.
It seems that you can avoid this though if you buy it off the shelf though, which is cool.