Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

/idgames

In an effort to offer the most complete Doom download website on the internet, I have recreated the Doom and Doom2 directories of /idgames from the public mirrors. A web interface allows the users to peruse the more than 12,000 files available in that area of the site. I will be updating weekly to keep it as current as possible. That new area can be found here: http://www.doomwadstation.com/idgames
This may make Doom Wad Station the only personal site to mirror the entire archive of Doom and Doom2 on it's own server. Naturally, the benefits are enormous as there are no user limits as on some of the mirrors and downloads are not capped by the server either but are entirely reliant on available bandwidth. I hope everyone enjoys this new feature on Doom Wad Staiton.

I'm not sure if Frans P. de Vries will put you on the official mirror list if you're only mirroring /levels/doom(2), but you can try.

Both youfailit.net's and MancuNET's mirrors are "official" (at least, Manc's will be soon). MancuNET does contain Manc's personal site, but he hosts lots of other people as well. I host a few Doomers myself on youfailit.net.

Brad_tilf said:

Ya, I'm going to. I just got it started tonight (been waiting for all the files to upload). That mancubus.net looks like an official mirror, not a personal site though.

I'm going to take that as a compliment!

MancuNET hosts various doom based projects, including zdoomgl, slade, spork's realm, Unidoom, and more (and even non-doom stuff).

I've recently finished setting up the /idgames and /idstuff rotations and will now set up rotations for the various other games on gamers.org. I'd like to provide my services in offering as much of gamers.org as possible as it's oftentimes a bit of a challenge to get fast downloads and even a connection (max 5 via ftp).

You should note that /idgames2 has been pretty much stagnant for 6 years, so don't even bother setting up a mirror rotation for it once you get it. See this blog thread for more information.

EDIT: Ah I see what you're doing. Bloodshedder is probably right though, you most likely won't be added as an official mirror for /idgames if all you're doing is setting up small portions of it, but good on ya and best of luck.

Well, they do ask you to let them know if you are mirroring any portion of it. So I did.
It's goo that there are sites like ours to keep it alive though as the mirrors have been dwindling over the years.

Brad_tilf said:

... if you are mirroring any portion of it. So I did.

It is possible, that i misunderstand you.
But i see on your site only two of the subfolders from the 'levels'-directory of /idgames mirrored: 'doom' and 'doom2'.
/idgames has more subfolders:
combos
deathmatch
docs
graphics
historic
idstuff
incoming
levels
lmps
misc
music
newstuff
prefabs
roguestuff
skins
sounds
source
themes
utils

and also the 'levels' directory has more subfolders:
hacx
heretic
hexen
reviews
strife

... not only 'doom' and 'doom2'.

Again: It's possible, that i misunderstand something.
But you can't call that subset of /idgames a 'Directory Listing of /idgames/', as you do it on your homepage!

Greetings

Funduke

funduke said:

Again: It's possible, that i misunderstand something.
But you can't call that subset of /idgames a 'Directory Listing of /idgames/', as you do it on your homepage!

I can call it anything I wish. I run a DOOM site, why would I have the hexen levels there? Or Heretic, or Strife?

Brad_tilf said:

I can call it anything I wish. I run a DOOM site, why would I have the hexen levels there? Or Heretic, or Strife?

He's not questioning whether or not you're allowed to do what you're doing, but it is misleading to call it a directory listing of /idgames/ when it is clearly only a subset.

Mancubus II said:

He's not questioning whether or not you're allowed to do what you're doing, but it is misleading to call it a directory listing of /idgames/ when it is clearly only a subset.

What else would be appropriate? It is clearly all of the Doom and Doom2 maps from the idgames levels directory. Since it comes directly fromt here that is why I chose /idgames as it's name. I would think common sense would tell the average person that if they are on a Doom website that they are going to find doom related material, not hexen related material, on the site. But that's just me. I don't really feel like arguing semantics anyway. I'm trying to provide a service to the community and if people want to give me a hard time over semantics I choose to ignore them.

Brad_tilf said:
Since it comes directly fromt here that is why I chose /idgames as it's name.

It is misleading. /idgames is more than Doom. If you only host a subset at least be honest about it and call it something different.

I would think common sense would tell the average person that if they are on a Doom website that they are going to find doom related material, not hexen related material, on the site.

Common sense would also demand that you tell everyone that you don't host the entire archive.

Graf Zahl said:

It is misleading. /idgames is more than Doom. If you only host a subset at least be honest about it and call it something different.

Common sense would also demand that you tell everyone that you don't host the entire archive.

Nothing demands anything from me. You think I work this hard on Doom Wad Station for me? I put ALOT of time and effort into that site so that people have a place to go to get maps to play. I'm not going to get into a discussion over semantics. I may add on more to that area over time but server space costs money and I'm not getting enough cash to cover the cost of that much server space. Perhaps in the future I will, who knows. Anyway, it is what it is. It is the complete backup of the Doom and Doom2 map archives as recent as I can make it (actually due to update it tonight). That should be enough. Does anyone here do anything but complain? I go out of my way to provide something that is a benefit to people and you guys give me a hard time?

Brad_tilf said:

I go out of my way to provide something that is a benefit to people and you guys give me a hard time?

Nobody wants to give you a hard time. It's nice what you are doing, but you have just to call it, what it is. Don't claim to provide more than you provide.

Greetings
Funduke

Brad_tilf said:

Nothing demands anything from me. You think I work this hard on Doom Wad Station for me? I put ALOT of time and effort into that site so that people have a place to go to get maps to play. I'm not going to get into a discussion over semantics. I may add on more to that area over time but server space costs money and I'm not getting enough cash to cover the cost of that much server space. Perhaps in the future I will, who knows. Anyway, it is what it is. It is the complete backup of the Doom and Doom2 map archives as recent as I can make it (actually due to update it tonight). That should be enough. Does anyone here do anything but complain? I go out of my way to provide something that is a benefit to people and you guys give me a hard time?

Wow dude you're taking it WAY to personal. You don't need to be so damn defensive as no one is attacking you. COMMON SENSE doesn't dictate that, because you say you have an /idgames dir listing that it would only contain the doom levels; that's assanine.

Also, what you're doing isn't exactly revolutionary or anything, so please don't make it seem to be more than it is.

Mancubus II said:

Wow dude you're taking it WAY to personal. You don't need to be so damn defensive as no one is attacking you. COMMON SENSE doesn't dictate that, because you say you have an /idgames dir listing that it would only contain the doom levels; that's assanine.

Also, what you're doing isn't exactly revolutionary or anything, so please don't make it seem to be more than it is.

Sorry man. Just seems that people seem to want to discuss the name I gave the directory more than the fact that I put it there. Seems kinda ridiculous. I was just trying to do something to make it easier for people to download those maps and all of a sudden I have guys here getting into something completely off track.

Brad_tilf said:

Sorry man. Just seems that people seem to want to discuss the name I gave the directory more than the fact that I put it there. Seems kinda ridiculous. I was just trying to do something to make it easier for people to download those maps and all of a sudden I have guys here getting into something completely off track.

The bigger deal you make of something like this the more opportunity there is to point out the negatives.

Mancubus II said:

The bigger deal you make of something like this the more opportunity there is to point out the negatives.

I suppose