Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Texas Libra

DOOM movie DVD pre-order

I was out browsing one of the local malls last night when I passed by the Suncoast video and saw the US movie poster for DOOM. That immediately caught my eye. It wasn't the cover art for the DVD I'm afraid, but there was a big sticker posted next to it that said "Reserve Now".

Regardless, I didn't want to get my hopes up too soon since from time to time that particular store gets it's dates from rumors alone. However just before starting this thread I wanted to double-check with Amazon.com to see if it was posted already. Lo and behold, it has.

So, who's looking forward to this unrated version? I know I am since it automatically means deleted scenes inserted into the movie. Who knows? Maybe there's a "Monsters Gone Wild!" segment, with Sam flashing her twins momentarily for all you horny teenage boys out there. (That last segment was a bad joke, just so you know).

Opinions?

Do not waste your money on this piece of utter shit. Wheither unrated or not, this movie is still a film executive's self-absorbed insult to true Doomers like us (hint: the storyline).

Nightmare Doom said:

Do not waste your money on this piece of utter shit. Wheither unrated or not, this movie is still a film executive's self-absorbed insult to true Doomers like us (hint: the storyline).

Will people like you just die already? I'm getting it just for the fact that it's DOOM merch. Hell, I'll get both the unrated and R-rated DVDs because I'm such a hopeless fan regardless of how much it bastardized the orginal universe :P

Besides, if Carmack himself said he liked it, then who are we to say it's blasphemous?

However, y'all's opinions are noted and legit.

What do I want from a Doom movie? Gore, 'demons', and more gore.
An 'unrated' edition promises more of what I want the most. Bring it on!

Jehar said:

An 'unrated' edition promises more of what I want the most. Bring it on!

If you haven't noticed: Most recent 'unrated' versions do not keep what the name promises. Most of the time it is the last version before final cut that is merely released to con more money out of the customers.

But Doom is the kind of movie I'll rent once, watch in bewilderment how intelligent people actually think it is good and forget it as quickly as possible.

Watching XXX² and Stealth was enough bad action fare for one year so I saved this one for 2006. ;)

Great. That may increase the rating in the US but everywhere else in the world people just shrug and say 'so what'.

Graf Zahl said:

If you haven't noticed: Most recent 'unrated' versions do not keep what the name promises. Most of the time it is the last version before final cut that is merely released to con more money out of the customers.

But Doom is the kind of movie I'll rent once, watch in bewilderment how intelligent people actually think it is good and forget it as quickly as possible.

Watching XXX² and Stealth was enough bad action fare for one year so I saved this one for 2006. ;)

Whoa, whoa. I never said I thought it was a good movie. It's shit, but as a longtime fan of crappy b-movies (this just happens to have a large budget), I enjoyed it on a purely aesthetic level.
I do see what you are saying with the 'unrated' jazz, but I believe this is exactly the sort of movie that will be able to deliver a bit more than a couple extra scenes.

Texas Libra said:

Besides, if Carmack himself said he liked it, then who are we to say it's blasphemous?

Because I bet the fans would be rushing toward a movie that he said sucks.

The only thing I approved about the DooM movie is the "INTRO NAME LOGO" it used when came on, and the logo used on it's 2 movie trailers, which is the screen saver from the movie site of course, I had 7 blown up to about a yard long, one on my wall and the others incased in a protective tube.

Graf Zahl said:

Great. That may increase the rating in the US but everywhere else in the world people just shrug and say 'so what'.

Not in Singapore.

The Doom movie sucked in my opinion and was a huge let down but there are parts that I like. I will not buy the movie, even though I am a big Doom fan, but if anyone else wants to buy it, go right ahead, no big deal to me. I believe they could possibly fix everything with a second movie but ONLY if they did it right. I still got my fingers crossed for the Silent Hill movie though. Hopefully we'll get a decent video game movie this year.

I haven't seen the movie, and I'm sure not planning on seeing it in theatre. Thinking about buying the DVD (bargain bin), just to have some Doom merchandise and to see how bad it really is :)

Doom had a pretty simplistic plot: teleportation experiment goes wrong, hell invades our reality, demons on the rampage, hero slugs through them. So I really don't expect much from a Doom movie project, but (1) HELL INVASION, (2) DEMONS (3) KILL. And yet the movie plot manages to get it wrong, mistaking Doom for Resident Evil.

They failed even this simple plot. Amazing.

Mordeth said:

(1) HELL INVASION, (2) DEMONS (3) KILL.

With rare exceptions, the only kind of movies I can stand to watch are b-action and b-horror films. Despite the big budget, the Doom movie was a mix of both. Therefore, I enjoyed the movie.
However, the BIG problem with me was the usage of the Doom liscense. As Mordeth said, it really isn't too hard a plot to follow. I think it's pretty much decided, even among people who aren't Doom players, that hellspawn parody owns biogenetic mutations. And why are biogenetic mutations so damn popular, anyway? So much wasted potential.
But still, I thought the movie was fun at worst, and not worth seeing on anything less than a big screen. Nothing too memorable, but I don't regret seeing it or spending 7.50 to do so. Of course I'm not going to buy it.

I didn't worry about the storyline, I knew it would be different from the game. But whether it has nothing to do with the game or not- it's still a bad movie.

With the original Doom, id Software created something so beautiful, so flawless, it was an absolute masterpiece, of course there would be a sequel which of course was just as wonderful if not better. Then after nine years of waiting they hit us with Doom 3, which was also wonderful, fantastic storyline combined with crisp graphics and an enormous campaign, (not quite as good as the first two though). Then finally Resurrection of Evil hits the shelves, expanding our knowledge of the Doom 3 universe. If only they had used the Doom 3 storyline then they would have had an instant success, it might have even gone on to spawn several sequels making a trilogy. But there is this moron, Dave Callaham. He has destroyed any chance of this happening, he has practically spat in all of our faces (us loyal to the games). Not only will this film not attract any new people to the Doom universe/community but it has also killed our hopes of seeing the true Doom movie on the silver screen. I apologise to anyone I may have offended saying the things I have said but I am just so disgusted with this bastardization of a true work of art that I felt I had to.

I still love the games though and look forward to Doom 4. *fingers crossed*

Nightmare Doom said:

I agree with you entirely good sir.

insertwackynamehere said:

what exactly is an unrated version going to have? sorry but i can't see any way they can stuff nudity into the film, at all.

Maybe Carmack tears off another ear.

I OWN THE DOOM MOVIE!

I bought it in Thailand, and despite thinking it would be terrible quality, it was nothing less than perfect quality and sound!

This post has really no reason, just to let you know i own it, and most of you dont! :P

I own the Doom movie, perfect quality and sound... from thailand!

Its great to own it before everyone else, but despite this...

THE MOVIE SUCKED!

Reasons it sucked:

1. Story..WTF?? Resident Evil in space
2. BFG?? Didnt look like it Plus its plama was not a ball PLUS! it was blue!
3. Marine Suits incorrect
4. Not correct monsters
5. Didnt show all monsters
6. Guns...Didnt show all guns and they looked incorrect
7. Teleportation was fucked
8. Characters

Anyone care to add?