Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

totaly old school

for those of u who remember or were before me. I remeber having an old tanndy computer. every thing was on floopy, had no hard drive and i think it only had 720k ram or maybey up to 1 meg. anyway i rember first haveing to load DOS off the disk, then putting in the game disk. things sure have come a long way but back then it was still fun. i remeber my fav of that time, cubert and a bad clone of pac-man. no sound card a cga graphics were great, but i love the advances of today as well

I had this old Atari box I got from my cousin many many years ago, back in the NES days. The game I played most was Deja Vu, although there were a few others. Some driving/shooting halfbreed and a "monster truck" racing game (if you can things the size of your mouse cursor "monster trucks"). There was like 100 games I had but I only played a few of them. It was still a lot more fun than today's stuff.

I got this CPC 6128 my father bought me for my 10th birthday. Grizor, Operation Wolf, Afterburner, Ikari warrior and of course Commando. No HD, just floppys (and special size that is) and 128Kb of memory...
When you see what they could do with that...

well, since i'm 14, the earliest computer system i had that i remember was the good old Apple IIe. but the best memories come from the Amigas that I had. Protracker, Turrican 2, Dune 2, Moonstone, IK+, just to name a few amount of stuff i used to play A LOT.

The best game available to PC owners in the early days was edit autoexec.bat/config.sys

This had to be done before playing any new game :)

I started gaming on the NES. Good ol' zelda.

i can only say:

X X XXXX XXXX
X X X X X
XXXX XXXX XXXX
X X X X X
X XXXX XXXX

486 rulez!

The best game available to PC owners in the early days was edit autoexec.bat/config.sys

This had to be done before playing any new game :)

Jeez, I remember having to get a whole frickin 620K of conventional memory so I could play DOS Sim-City. What a nightmare.

I had to steal a copy of a newfound friend's QEMM to fix that after a few months of failure.

I think you can even emulate C64 now...

2 words: Captain Comic. Does anyone know if episodes 2 or 3 were ever released?

Speaking of autoexec and config...mine were FULL of shit, so everytime I wanted to play X game, I started hammering the F8 key for the step-by-step booting. :)

Of course, I later discovered multiple boots...

I had the old Startup Menu batch going. I had like 9 different startup options.

Me too. Too bad Win95 showed it's ugly face and scrambled my boot.

I swear I removed all that useless shit it adds to the config like 9000 times, and it kept coming back. Kinda ugly because of those games that required 641K of conventional, like Ultima VII and VII : Part II.

Win95 didn't interfere with mine at all. I had the multi-OS boot going. You could do that with the first version of Windows95, so before Windows95 even booted, I got a choice of "Normal" startup, all those Win95 options, and then "Previous version of DOS" which would load up my old start-up menu. Then Win95OSR2 and Win98 came along and destroyed that capability, but it was great while it lasted.

Mind me, I'm just deleting Country=054,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys...

Oh, yeah : YET AGAIN.

Run msconfig and uncheck the "process Autoexec.bat, process Config.sys" boxes and check "selective startup"

i remember having to specially edit my autoexec.bat and config.sys for the old gametek games. games like quarantine and super street fighter 2 turbo. man, what a pain those were to run. i remember having hdm4 for a menu system.

I started fourth grade in 1994 with a blazin' new IBM Aptiva 486DX2 33 Mhz 8 MB RAM and a roomy 538 MB hardrive, not to mention a scorching 2X CD ROM Drive. Don't be surprised to see me at Antiques Road Show showing off my still fully functional relic from the nineties, printer and scanner included.

Lord_Santa - do you have Mayhem in Monsterland? It was the only game to get 100% on the C64, and it rocked. I had it, but i think my mum threw it out ages ago.