Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Most impressive special effects in vanilla doom.

What's the most impressive effect you've ever seen in a doom WAD? I'd say the bridges by Iikka Keraenen or the flag at mcfearsm.zip (At least before I knew how simply it's done. A trick later used in that horizontal fan demo released these days).

But lately I came into this WAD (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=9188) featuring a staircase that revolves more than a whole circle around itself! I shit on my pants!!! Going down and then up again to realize it, wow! The most impressive trick I've ever seen in Doom (possibly using the bridge trick in a more twisted way, but what teh heck?!)

So, which are the special effects/tricks you've first encountered and made you wonder "What the heck?!". And which of them do you consider the best/most impressive of them?

p.s. And a question: In an Iikka Keraenen interview I've once read, the interviewer mentioned of another map using Iikka's bridge trick for doing much more bridges one above the other (more than 3. 4,5? 10? I don't remember). I really have to find that WAD, does anyone knows which is that and I'll go to search it on doomworld idgames. Please! :)

RTC-3057 has some pretty nifty shit in it such as the floor puzzle, and the lift near the start. The lighting in the bathroom also gave me the spins.

Well, yes. Only vanila doom effects please, though RTC-3057 is preety great. (Is there going to be a sequel?)

There was another level in Requiem besides 13, probably pretty early on, because I've never gone past lvl 7 or so before getting bored. Anyway it had a set of double doors that swung open instead of raising up.

The four level Phobos-themed WAD. I think it was entitled "Return to Phobos" but I may be wrong.

I think so.

I just downloaded that "Inferno" WAD and I couldn't find any special effects to speak of. I cruised through the first three maps in god mode, scratching my head. Then my attention span got the better of me and I quit.

The 4 level Phobos WAD is one of the best maps I ever played. If it could be considered an effect as a whole, well that would be ;)

I just remembered Earth by the same author who did Phobos. Those sea waves at the beginning made me crack! One of the most original effects perhaps?

And yes, the door in Requiem was quite a surprise, though I could easilly think how it's done at that time so it didn't impressed me much :)

AndrewB: You can easilly find the staircase in E3M7 somewhere near from the start, IDDT and there is a small circular thing you can easilly find. It's in the description which maps contain what effects. Also, I haven't found the blastable walls mentioned there, but I think it's a nice episode I should play from scratch oneday and so I'll encounter all the tricks there mentioned.

If you include special effects actually in Vanilla Doom, I still have a soft spot for the rising acid pool in E2M2. It came as a surprise the first time I played the game, and I assumed the whole room was going to flood. In the same level, the tiny winding path that rises from the lava sticks in my mind as being one of the very few non-switch-pulling puzzle bits from the original game.

The end of E1M8, when the walls drop down and you realise that you're standing on a giant platform in the open, I remember that. I suppose this depends on how you define a special effect; I think of it as being any effect that is used very sparingly to impressive effect.

AndrewB said:

I think so.

I just downloaded that "Inferno" WAD and I couldn't find any special effects to speak of. I cruised through the first three maps in god mode, scratching my head. Then my attention span got the better of me and I quit.

The special effects are mostly in level 7. M9 is also featuring some but in the earlier maps you won't find such things.

Would someone mind sharing the coordinates of the door in Requiem? Because its quite a pain to look through the levels.

EDIT: nvm found it. Nice effect.