Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiend-o-hell

Alternate weapon?

Is it possible to have two weapons out at the same time which act independently from each other (i.e. left click triggers left weapon, right click triggers right weapon or left click triggers a grenade launcher on an m16)? I got the idea when I saw an assignment key for alternate weapon on GZDOOM. It would really be great if I could implement that feature into my maps. Thanks.

The "alternate fire" key is designed to use a different mode of fire on custom weapons. To make akimbo/dual-wield weapons you still have to hack the graphics together using Paint Shop Pro, and the guns can't operate independently of each other, but with a bit of effort you can make the effect pretty convincing.

For an example of all the alternate fire stuff, check out The Stranger, released in this week's Newstuff; or otherwise you can check out the various ZDoom/GZDoom-based weapon mods at the Doom Armory's reviews index/

The “stranger” mod is SWEEET! Seriously, I haven’t had this much fun playing doom since… well since back in the good ol’ days. Good job Weasel. I spent a good part of my time looking at the weapon’s decorate lump and for the most part, it makes sense to me. What do the number values after the goto commands mean (ex: goto ready+10)? I know it has something to do with skipping frames, but I don’t know exactly how its done.

Goto Ready+10 (just using this as an example) will send the weapon to its Ready state, skipping the first ten frames. In The Stranger, I use the Ready state for custom weapon changing animations, and I use this method to make sure that the draw animation isn't looped repeatedly.