Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Risen3D sources

Welcome to the club.

I don't think he will ever release the source. After all, someone might steal his ideas! [/sarcasm]

To:	   "Andrey Budko" <e6y@yahoo.com>	
Subject: Re: risen3d sources	
Date:    Sun, 15 May 2005 08:40:37 +1000
The author Graham Jackson will release the source eventually but only when he is completely satisified with the analyser algos.

As it stand now, he is talking about completely rewriting the analyser
so that won't be any time soon.

Abbs

----- Original Message -----
> do you publish the source codes of Risen3d?

entryway said:

but only when he is completely satisified with the analyser algos.

You might easily interpret that as 'never'. Any programmer should know that such code will never be completely satisfying.

I'm personally very disappointed that the Risen3D source hasn't been released. The DOOM community is all about sharing ideas and every other major port developer is happy to do so.

We are all solving problems in our respective ports that others can then use to further extend theirs, rape for ideas/knowledge etc. Just think where we'd be if the BOOM team hadn't released their source? Or if skyjake hadn't released the Doomsday source there wouldn't even BE a Risen3D.

Carmack would not approve.

Graham has obviously spent a great deal of time on the analyser algorithms that would be of great benefit to all the other ports.

I don't hold out much hope of ever seeing the source.

How does one even get in contact with Graham Jackson?

I mailed the author several years ago about the source and was told in no uncertain terms to stop trying to cause trouble.

I very much doubt that the author will ever respect the licence which allowed them to start risen3d in the first place, and I'm not sure the jdoom author(s) are interested enough to defend their rights either (Id either, for that matter).

At least risen3d will soon be totally redundant.

Jon said:

I mailed the author

What is his email?

<g_m_jackson@lineone.net>:
212.74.114.7 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 RCPT TO:<g_m_jackson@lineone.net> User unknown
Giving up on 212.74.114.7.

At least risen3d will soon be totally redundant.

I doubt that will happen but maybe it is a reason why he doesn't want to release the source. After all now that we have GZDoom and Doomsday will soon have BOOM support also, there isn't much in Risen3D that isn't available in other ports currently or that couldn't be assimilated into them.

For example GZDoom already has 3D floors and (3D) slopes (the other two big additions in Risen3D).

The most valuable stuff in Risen3D is obviously the analyser routines.

Seriously, Risen3D is one of the worst ports I have ever used. I should have quoted "used" since I have never been able to get it to run. There are no mods for it, save for a map or two by sitters and all the shots I've seen of it are ugly as sin. I say good riddance, the less there is of Risen the faster it will die of obscurity.

Scuba Steve said:

Seriously, Risen3D is one of the worst ports I have ever used. I should have quoted "used" since I have never been able to get it to run. There are no mods for it, save for a map or two by sitters and all the shots I've seen of it are ugly as sin. I say good riddance, the less there is of Risen the faster it will die of obscurity.

Huh? The renderer is mostly the same as Doomsday. Do you really call that 'ugly'? But of course you are correct about the content. Sitters is really the only one working for it and I don't see much of a chance that that changes.

I agree with Scuba, filtering, gay coloured lighting, flares and whatever other eye candy gets thrown in just serves to ruin doom's original feel, in my opinion at least. I'm not trying to put down DaniJ and friend's efforts here, but it's really not my style :(

Don't tell me to just turn these things off either, if i don't want them i'll use another port thanks. Anyway, let the flamewar commence :P.

Joe said:

I agree with Scuba, filtering, gay coloured lighting, flares and whatever other eye candy gets thrown in just serves to ruin doom's original feel, in my opinion at least. I'm not trying to put down DaniJ and friend's efforts here, but it's really not my style :(

But I find it (DoomsDay) the best for Heretic and Hexen. It corresponds to their fairy style. And I like 3d-models therefrom :)

Risen3D is the only hardware engine that's worked properly on my system; GLBoom has glitches and JDoom is very slow (so was GZDoom but I only tried an early version.)

I know it's based off doomsday... but every shot has these ugly models it must come with or something I don't know. Whatever it doesn't really matter, there's no real point in using it.

Huh? The renderer is mostly the same as Doomsday.

Not since 1.7.8 has it been the same. There are several problems I could mention that have been fixed since Doomsday & Boomsday parted company. Not to mention plenty of new features that yet further improve the graphics.

Well, you've obviously not tried in Doomsday in a while based on your comments.

Flitering, as in most GL ports can be turned off.

Coloured (sector) lighting, again is available in most (even software) ports.

Flares have been disabled by defualt for quite a few versions now as Doomsday has a new "realistic" halo mode instead.

Don't tell me to just turn these things off either, if i don't want them i'll use another port thanks. Anyway, let the flamewar commence :P.

Well that defies logic but what the hey ;)

The funny thing is that Doomsday makes customising the options so simple by way of the Doomsday Control Panel GUI but yet you can't be bothered to click a button.

HOWEVER. Doomsday IS all about improving the graphics/sound/experience so if your not interested in that then it makes sense to use another port.

DaniJ said:

Not since 1.7.8 has it been the same. There are several problems I could mention that have been fixed since Doomsday & Boomsday parted company. Not to mention plenty of new features that yet further improve the graphics.
Well, you've obviously not tried in Doomsday in a while based on your comments.

But at its base it is still the same renderer, isn't it?

myk said:

Risen3D is the only hardware engine that's worked properly on my system; GLBoom has glitches and JDoom is very slow (so was GZDoom but I only tried an early version.)

What kind of graphics card do you have? Getting only one OpenGL port to run properly sounds a little strange.

The biggest and unique issue of DoomDay - it does not support Boom levels. I don't know how many pwads can be played with DoomsDay without problems, but it has no problems with original Heretic and Hexen and looks good of course

But at its base it is still the same renderer, isn't it?

I think so, yes.

I don't know how many pwads can be played with DoomsDay without problems

AFAIK pretty much ANY PWAD designed for original DOOM will play pretty much flawlessly.

There are a few notable issues that I intend to address in the 1.9.x series:

+ BOOM support
+ DOOM in HEXEN format maps (ie scripting and polyobjects)
+ DEHACKED [CodePtr] support
+ DOOM.exe renderer tricks. Atm support for these is definetly lacking but I hope to be able to support them in a clean manner (probably using a mechanism similar to Risen3D's analyser).

We have several milestones to reach before any of this work can begin (though most of the above could be addressed immediately it wouldn't be pretty). Plus we need to make Doomsday a better platform for 3rd party game development as several parties have expressed interest in developing new game.dll's.

Graf Zahl said:
What kind of graphics card do you have? Getting only one OpenGL port to run properly sounds a little strange.

It's a 32MB SiS (315E) card. JDoom and GZDoom seemed to look okay but crawled. I tried disabling stuff yet that didn't seem to help much, but maybe I missed something. On the other hand, GLBoom is fast but has visual glitches, like stacking skies, and apparently some HOMs in a newer version of PrBoom+... no idea where those came from. Risen3D at default settings and some other engines (like Quake2 in GL mode) work fine.

Speaking of source code releases does anyone happen to have some ancient JDoom source, like v0.81? I'd like to have a look at the implementation of coronas and dynamic lighting. Recent Doomsday sources are a bit too complicated for me, with DED and hi-res and models and whatever.

(Yes, tried e-mailing SkyJake but the address seems to be wrong on Doomsday HQ)

Joe said:

I acquiesce.
Risen 3D + High-res texture pack + jDoom Resource Pack = not Doom.

entryway said:

What is his email?

<g_m_jackson@lineone.net>:
212.74.114.7 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 RCPT TO:<g_m_jackson@lineone.net> User unknown
Giving up on 212.74.114.7.

I'll have to dig into my mail archive: I'll let you know.

entryway said:

skyjake(at)dengine(dot)net

There's almost no point in replacing things like @ with at and . with dot for emails: spam harvesters can fix that (And remove .nospam subdomains etc.) effortlessly.

I've tried using a mail address "spambox@alcopop.org" (inspired by prower) for some years now. I use it on most forums, blogs, etc. but it receives far less spam than any of my other accounts. I think harvesters discard addresses that they think are rigged.