Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Which is better, old DM or new DM?

The title says it all, which do you prefer? Deathmatch for the original Doom, or Death match for things such as Zdaemon, Skull tag, etc.?
I personally prefer the old DM... Kills with Zdaemon just don't seem as satisfying...

I play old-style whenever I can play; Doom/2 over Kahn (an IPX to TCP/IP tunnel.) The thing I like least about server-based playing is the varying lag and client prediction. It's best to play with a local or at a LAN, either way.

I also prefer DeathMatch over AltDeath, since it's more fragfest friendly while the other is a tactical game of item/map domination.

I used to play a lot of Vanilla Doom DM over the Zone with people like Anders and Ocelot.

But since I have WinXP now, I can't b arsed to bother with Vanilla doom and I use Skulltag for all my DMing needs. Whenever the dutch servers are up I can get some oldschool playing in. But Mostly we just play regular Skulltag or Nimrod.

EDIT: Back in the early days I always preferred AltDeath over Deathmatch. But last time I played an altdeath game I hated it ever second.

Kahn is useful for using the DOS EXEs online (using Windows 98/95.) Other similar alternatives are Kali and Git.

Old Doom for the WIN. I'm frankly not too finicky, however Vanilla Doom retains its original essence and flavor, and it's interesting to play on it.

When comparing vanilla doom with newer source ports, i feel limited when playing vanilla again. Not to mention that things like freelook and... yum... skulltags grenade launcher. I'm relatively young, i should be liking new dm over old. Nothing revolutionary here, folks. :>

Vote: New DM. Railguns, skulltag and freelook for great justice. ™

I'll take either. It's bad enough that I load up STO/ZDaemon and everyone's jerking off in the lobby.

Bloodshedder said:
Hamachi might work as well.

It seems that Windowswise it supports only 2000/XP, which don't deal well with Doom's IPX connectivity over LAN; although interestingly Linux w/ DOSBOX would perhaps work fine here.

Da Spadger:
Vote: New DM. Railguns, skulltag and freelook for great justice. ™

I'm more comfortable with freelook, however such features as railguns are too overboard and avoid focusing on DooM's feel and gameplay, IMHO.

Definitely the NEW DM with the aiming. it makes a lot of the weapons more usable, like the rocket launcher., The first time I was playing doom 2.exe with a friend of mine in DM mode, he had a SSG and I had a rocket launcher. He was a a ledge, and got shots off of me since his bullets have no Radius, while mine stupid autoaimed rockets kept shooting at a wall just under him. I hated that that. The New DM is definitly cooler, and it adds more atmophsere to the level being able to look around more instead of just looking stright.

DM in PrBoom rox.

Zdaemon servers with oldschool settings, or at least with jumping and freelook disabled. FFS, when I want to play Q3 or UT, I do that.

For Skulltag, classic duel on D5M1 and Greenwar.

Both Deathmatch and Altdeath are fun for me, as long as they stay oldschool.

Deathmatch in PrBoom+ is the best.
It's really sad Player Connector or any other software doesn't support it, and I can't even suggest it. :-\