Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TooMuchSpareTime

"StrifeToons" - Animations with the Doom Marine and friends!

Hi there Doomers, I'm Andrew, AKA "TmsT" and I'm writing, animating and co-producing this series about computer game characters from the age of shareware...

StrifeToons Episode One - in which our hero Doom Marine and his chums go to watch the Doom movie!

Actually, there is only one episode completed so far, and it's not all about Doom Marine. Duke Nukem and Commander Keen are the other two main characters, but that's no reason to not check it out. :)

I hope that most of you are amused (as opposed to insulted) by me & Mav's characterisation of Doom Marine. Heh, you'll see what I mean when you watch it...

Also, post your suggestions for episodes here and please feel free to volunteer for voice-acting roles if you have a good microphone, because, as you will see, I do NOT. ;)

Wasn't something like this in a post-helled thread awhile ago?

Also, let me be the first to say .. that was not very funny, especially considering how long it was. A for effort, though.

I liked it! Good job guys. Though I'm not sure how someone from outside of the gaming community would see it. Still, looking forward to seeing more.

hehe, I just get suspicious when people post exactly the same threads across boards like this. That along with this guy coming along after Gibaholic being banned as well. :p This sort of thing seems to happen on too many of the boards I frequent. I take back what I said.

It's got potential. There's a few things it's got going for it, such as:

1) An original theme song
2) Decent voice acting
3) A fair amount of hand-drawn animation
4) A reference to that hilariously cheesy Europe song

BUT

1) The Doom Guy, possibly the coolest mother fucker on the planet, is a borderline retard (something closer to his personality in the comic would have been funnier)
2) It was put together well but was a bit painful to watch, though I'm not entirely sure why...

I'll check out the next episode though.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

Hello Gibaholic.

Everyone knows you cant kill what is already retarded.

But onto the cartoon, I actually thought it was rather well done, much better than any of the actual strips in my opinion.

Texas Libra said:

Pardon me for asking, but who the f**k is Walter in this case?

The scientist from Half Life. (A reference to Strife Strips)

Although I hated Doom Marines personality it was a pretty good flash toon. Work really hard and make a ass-busting graphic library and your films will be classics. Just make the stories a little shorter next time.

I think it shows a lot of promise, but isn't quite there yet. While some parts were funny, the funny to length ratio wasn't very good. I'm not saying you should make it shorter, just that the amusing parts should be spread out over the whole thing.

Good first effort, though. I'd like to see more.

I liked it, its nice. Indeed the Doom Marine sounds somewhat gay for his original character, but I can see through that. It was not funny in a way that I was supposed to be laughing out loud, but it was put together very well and it had a decent story so it was nice and worthy to watch. The Duke Nukem movie in here was a bit funny though, I liked the little things like when the Duke Nukem puppet mouth falls off, hehe :)

Wasn't that funny. It's pretty lame to make fun of DNF these days, kind of like it's lame to reference the original Star Trek in anything.

But where's the Duke Nukem reference in the Doom movie?

Coopersville said:

Wasn't that funny. It's pretty lame to make fun of DNF these days, kind of like it's lame to reference the original Star Trek in anything.

But where's the Duke Nukem reference in the Doom movie?

Supposedly the character "Duke" was a DN reference.

RTC_Marine said:

is this the same guy who made zero wing rhapsody ?

Guilty as charged.

Interesting observations. I have to agree that it was pretty long (I get a bit bored during the homemade Duke movie), but it was meant to be more of a story than a laugh-a-second gagfest. However, I make no apologies for referencing DNF in this episode or in any future episodes. It seems to strike a chord with the chaps at 3DR, and, inside-jokes are what this is all about. It's about computer game characters for a start, so it's hardly something that can be universally understood, made for prime time TV. There will be many more things that will go over plenty of people's heads, but hit plenty of other targets.

I've posted this on the 3DRealms forums and the Commander Keen forum as well to get everyone's general ideas. I hope you all keep watching the series as it progresses (and improves, oh yes, the first episode was more of an experimental beginning than a spectacular introduction).

Goatlord, I thought Doom Marine's personality in StrifeToons would generate a bit of controversy... But I don't really want to make this an extension of the (brilliant) Doom Comic. (But you might hear a few references to it in later episodes if you stay tuned.) Maybe you'll enjoy the personality of "Imp" a little better in episode 2... which hopefully won't be quite so much of a "talking heads show", this time.

Well, I'm not saying, you should totally rip off the Doom Guy's personality in the comic, but I've never thought of him as being bumbling retard with a generic "he-yuk he-yuk" voice. That just seems really cliched, to have that one "dumb" character in the cartoon.

Heh, that wasn't too bad and certainly avoids being overly retarded and exasperating. I liked the reference to Dopefish while they were flipping through channels on the TV.

I always pictured Keen being supper intelligent and at the same time being very childish.

Edit: I just watched it again. I was still waiting to see Duke Kick some ass at the end.

GoatLord said:

Well, I'm not saying, you should totally rip off the Doom Guy's personality in the comic, but I've never thought of him as being bumbling retard with a generic "he-yuk he-yuk" voice. That just seems really cliched, to have that one "dumb" character in the cartoon.

It's more than just (intentionally) cliche, it's traditional! ^_^

I think we just adapted Doom marine as an 80's ghetto trash talking idiot like the comic. It’s not a bad personality for him at all really. Any way you can make Duke a little more extreme? I'm just saying as all.

EDIT: I watched it a third time. It really takes a few viewings to fully appreciate it. The music is beyond good.