Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FragUPlenty

go check out my newest short

Doomguy doesn't do subtleties, like stealth or being quiet and Harry Potter isn't exactly happy-go-lucky/cheerful. I think if you used their own actual characters it could have been funnier. A joke or two wouldn't hurt either.

Also being a bottom dwelling grunt who follows orders like a robot Doomguy is far below Potter and Arnold in terms of intelligence.

Infact I think Doomguy would only be twice as intelligent as Duke Nukem, no offence Doomguy fans.

yeah but it is the future in Doom, think about, Doom guy has to be able to use all the technology at his disposal. I believe that Doom guy is highly intelligent compared to Harry Pothead and the governator. Think about it all those computers in the UAC base and he knew how to use them. While not being up to the same level of intelligience as the scientists he was protecting he probably has a good understanding of how things work around him. The fact that he was smart enough to pick up PDAs and read the data entries in them to learn what is happening in Doom 3 proves his intelligience. He probably has very good control over his body and reactions as well. If you saw a Demon from hell you would probably freeze up. Not the Doom guy though. He doesnt let his adrenaline cause him to be uncontrollable.

Harry Potter may have a good book knowledge but the fact is that he has just that book knowledge. Harry Potter may have used his "magic" to fend off small foes and do well in school, but the Doom Guy handled a much bigger situation much better. Honestly when has Harry ever had to fend off a demon army from Hell.

In Predator Arnolds character played more of a grunt then Doom guy. Arnold just ran around the jungle fighting one invisible Predator that managed to kill his whole squad. If he where presented with something that required him to interact with something other than weapons such as computers he probably wouldnt be able to succesfully accomplish anything that would aid his survival.

also Harry potter being thrilled that Doom guy was gonna stick a wand up his a$$ is funny.

Also as another thing proving Doom guys intelligience. He may not be intelligent in the areas of science, but marines have another kind of intelligence. They know how to handle themselves in combat situations. Most can do some kind of first aid on people who are injured. They are trained in Battlefield tactics such as room entry and combat formations. They learn how to survive on very little and on how to keep quiet when they need to. They learn how to use things in the environment to their advantage. Snipers learn how to move undetected blend in with theur environments.

Marines also learn how to use computers on the battlefield how to read specialized maps and how to call out coordinates. They learn patience. They will monitor their enemy for days waiting for the most opportune moment to attack. Like I said. Grunts are very intelligent about what they do. Allthough they may not match the intelligience of others sometimes they are not dumb.

Basically what I am saying is Doomguy is probably very intelligent the fact that he follows orders are from bootcamp where you are taught to follow them without question. Allthough because they do whatever they are ordered does not make them brainless or dumb, just disciplined and obedient.

Ok, I went to far with the Duke Nukem thing. I see what you are saying. However when we speak of Doomguy(1+2), he basically performs rat tasks; push lever, press switch, open door. Pick up key, bring it here. He is a rat at the very least. Doomguy(3) however, as you say, is more intelligent, with the memorising of codes and being able to read (:P) but as complex as the technology is the interfaces for them are dead simple. Since both the mentioned Doomguys are at the bottom rung of their careers and can really only be described as footsoldiers or infantry their only role is to follow orders. This is the job usually held by people who lack the intelligence to do the other jobs hence the terms; Grunt and Jarhead (well the empty vessel part of jarhead anyway). I'll let Doomguy(RoE) go because he's an engineer and you need qualifications and shit for that job. But I'm probably guilty of stereotyping.

POSSIBLE HARRY POTTER SPOILERS (just in case)

Potter isn't into book learning, most of the stuff they do at Hogwarts is practical. And yes he has used his wand to fend off small foes... y'know like a giant troll. He hasn't faced an army of demons(per se) but he's fought off with help an entire wizard cult, and single handedly beat not only the nemesis of the wizarding world, Voldemort, but also an army of the most feared creatures in the wizarding world, Dementors. Seriously dude the films do it no justice, from the third book on is where you want to get your Potter related info. You can read the first two too if you can stand them. IIRC Harry meets an army of 'Former Humans' (:P) in the new book.

SPOILERS END

Heh, I assumed you were talking about the Guv'nor himself in your skit.

Also HP likes Asians and Redheads :D

As for Marine job details. It is true that Grunts are educated in the art of survival, basic first aid and field craft and stuff, but what is that worth when every and anybody can pick it up by reading one of the many books on the subject? The only things that sets him appart from your average camper is fitness, marksmanship and camo. There are many other Marines with trades, just don't confuse them with the grunts. You need radio technicians to repair the radios, you need engineers to dig, mine, build, destroy and repair. Both know all the tactics the grunt knows and can pick up the dead grunt's gun and fire it for him, which is a shame because it makes the weapon more valuable than the soldier.

To any disgruntled grunts out there I, apologetically, will admit that I am stereotyping and I am more or less basing my arguement on regular army. I understand that even if they are only grunts, there is probably a surprising amount of intelligence involved... but if there is, why didn't you apply for a better paid job? Like engineer or officer? :P

FragUPlenty said:

Harry potter being thrilled that Doom guy was gonna stick a wand up his a$$ is funny.

The lack of laughter at this shows otherwise.

Most grunts do apply for better job. Me having a family with a military background, I can say that most of the members in my family who enlisted did it for the opportunity to afford a higher education. The fact is that a majority of people dont plan on the military as being a career rather just a job that when over can afford them more opportunities.

As for Harry Potter, I dont know anything about him, I just like making fun of him.

Also in Doom 3 he is a higher ranking soldier. Remember the briefing with sarge before you have to go find the scientist. He says you are the ranking soldier so it is your duty to go and find him.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Trade marines that can get experience and education in their certain line of work leading to civilian jobs. I mean infantry, cavalry(armour), and artillary can't get you a job above packing supermarket shelves, but, of course, the other jobs do give you ass loads of opportunities.

As for Harry Potter... you're a meanie! Meanie! FUCKIN' MEANIE... or maybe you just don't like JK's literature... who am I to judge?

And as for your Doom 3 evidence; Bravo sir... you've checked me. The battle is over but the war is just beginning. You'll slip... and when you do I'll see it! Mwahahahaha! etc.

Janderson said:

And as for your Doom 3 evidence; Bravo sir... you've checked me. The battle is over but the war is just beginning. You'll slip... and when you do I'll see it! Mwahahahaha! etc.

He has: If the Doomguy is a high-ranking soldier, why the Hell is he taking orders from a Sergeant? He can't be much higher than a corporal, and I don't think being a corporal requires that much brains.

What I meant by most people go into the military to pursue a higher education is that the G.I. Bill will help you pay for college if you do a full 4 years.

FragUPlenty said:

What I meant by most people go into the military to pursue a higher education is that the G.I. Bill will help you pay for college if you do a full 4 years.

The GI Bill of Rights states that anyone who serves in the military is offered a free college education. I believe the bill was put into place after or during WWII, when servicemen would return with nothing but food stamps.

TheDarkArchon said:

He has: If the Doomguy is a high-ranking soldier, why the Hell is he taking orders from a Sergeant? He can't be much higher than a corporal, and I don't think being a corporal requires that much brains.

I am such an idiot for not seeing that.