Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dark-tenshi

if D3test is released ,what would you like to see?

it is id's tradition that they always release engine test on their title(Q3test and RTCW multiplayer test).if d3test is released,what would you like to see in D3test?a map of SP mission,or just deathmatch map(s) (no monster).or both? i myself only want to see deathmatch maps in D3test.they should keep the surprise in SP campaign from early engine test.or they should release extra SP map(the map that will be not included in the final release)for test and optimize AI.so what do you think?

Hmmmm. How about one or two deathmatch maps, and one SP map made up out of stuff from the MacWorld and QuakeCon videos. That way we get to see some SP action, but id doesn't spoil all the fun of the full game.

Would be cool to start off in one of those dark halls of the MacWorld video, open a door and find yourself in the middle of the Bathroom Scene.

No matter what they do, they certainly shouldn't put in too many monsters and weapons. It should be a technology test, not a giant bag of spoilers.

Just the level found on the QuakeCon/MacWorld shows. Throw in the models if you want to, they shouldn't necesarilly be animated.

Remember, DooM 3 is a single player game more than anything. And this is not a demo, but a test. A technology test. In Q3Test we experienced some of Q3A's gameplay mainly because a MP game needs a lot of "real" feedback and suggestions. But in this case I really doubt the test (at least the first one) will be anything more besides just a compatibility app. (not to say a drool maker).

If a DOOM III Test is released, it should be strickly a technology demo to show off various features of the engine and the speed the whole thing runs... :(

Content wise, it should include two maps (the MacWorld and the Bathroom maps would suit perfectly), some models of monsters and humans, and options to turn every single feature off to make it run at 1-2 fps on a GeForce 1 :(

Just thinking about it makes me jump with joy! :)

P.S

NO!! I am NOT talking about the 1-2 fps thingie making me jump with joy :)

They might want feesback on the Ai, but then again, if the ai is good enough they couyld just work bots into a multiplayer test

I just want a compatibility demo, but a THUROUGH one, so i can know if my system will run doom3 well or not

i wouldnt want em to show too much from levels and stuff cuz that would ruin the game. i would like a multiplayer thing like what they did with return to castle wolfenstein and red faction because then you get to see what the game is like and it doesnt ruin it for you. i hate playing a game and know whats coming up.

Just the level found on the QuakeCon/MacWorld shows. Throw in the models if you want to, they shouldn't necesarilly be animated.

Remember, DooM 3 is a single player game more than anything. And this is not a demo, but a test. A technology test. In Q3Test we experienced some of Q3A's gameplay mainly because a MP game needs a lot of "real" feedback and suggestions. But in this case I really doubt the test (at least the first one) will be anything more besides just a compatibility app. (not to say a drool maker).

I agree with Zaldron...I don't want to see too much, just a little to 'whet my appetite,' so to speak. Id should just throw in the level they showed at QuakeCon, or something...

Damn...you almost gave me a heart attack...I thought it said for a minute that it WAS released.

Anywaste, I think it would be an awesome idea, but it would have to be single player, maybe like that one game which was released as a kind of Half-Life demo...I forget what it was called.

waste, I think it would be an awesome idea, but it would have to be single player, maybe like that one game which was released as a kind of Half-Life demo...I forget what it was called.

Do you mean Half-Life Uplink ? That was a highly polished mini-episode, certainly not a technology demo.

id released test versions of all three Quake games. They were all made up out of a few maps that eventually made it into the finished game. Anyway, I can imagine it takes so much time and dedication to make a good DOOM map id can't afford the designer hours to make a whole new seperate map just to put in the test.

As I said, they should just throw some cool stuff together (but leave the coolest for the game) in a little test map, maybe with a shotgun and a monster or two for target practice. After all, monster AI needs testing too.

Anyway, I can imagine it takes so much time and dedication to make a good DOOM map id can't afford the designer hours to make a whole new seperate map just to put in the test.

Gray Matter could help them on that. Afterall they're on vacations right now...

Anyway, I can imagine it takes so much time and dedication to make a good DOOM map id can't afford the designer hours to make a whole new seperate map just to put in the test.

Why doesn't Id just release a shortened form of the first mission? This is what Konami did for the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo. Some areas were blocked so that you couldn't see or do everything. Plus, the mission was just large enough to get somewhat of a feel for the gameplay, graphics capabilities, etc. Very effective in making you want to play the real thing...

if D3test is released ,what would you like to see?

Pants.

...and a kitchen apron that says "Kiss the Cook"...

so D3test should be included with Macworld/Quakecon level,multiplayer maps.but even in the test i want them to make it feel like DOOM (the atmosphere,a lot of tension and general "weirdness")no SP spoiler of course.

to danachist-sorry pal,i almost give you a hear attack.this reminds me the 3drealms official website when George Broussard (3DR's president)have posted the topic "it's done" in DNF forum.many people clicked on that thread to find out that the pizza they just ordered is done.

Uhm.. A remake of the ol' E1M1, just with those few monsters. And a "cut-paste" level of the macworld/QC2k1 vids. Nuff' said..

To be in the D3Test:

(1) A reworked version of the E1M1 out of the Doom v0.5 beta.
(2) A quick level showing off all the new stuff in it NOT in any of the Doom ports (possibly ZDoom excepted).
(3) One new monster.

If it's simply a "drool maker" :) or compatibility app - could you possibily pridict any kind of rough relese date (in light of the recent interviews) ?

From what info we have heard about Quake IV, we know that Raven is currently developing it, that it should come out after Doom III and that, when it was announced it was still in the concept stages. Is Quake IV still in the concept stages, or is some of the actual game being worked on now?

Kevin: Tim Willits will be coordinating the development of Quake IV for id. As far as I know the game is still in an early design phase. I think Raven is currently tied up with their Star Wars and Soldier of Fortune titles and the DOOM technology isn't far enough along for them to work with it independently.

so if "the DOOM technology isn't far enough along for them to work with it independently" - this could mean the engine is nearly done - if they CAN work with it WITH assistance from id...

Today engines "work" once the rendering code is somewhat done. Since they're broken into several modules that don't need to be working to let the build run, they can focus on content right from the beginning.

Today engines "work" once the rendering code is somewhat done. Since they're broken into several modules that don't need to be working to let the build run, they can focus on content right from the beginning.

(sorry, i am a newbie to how this works and have to get my head around this stuff)

So, i guess, this means that a compatibility app could be made very early on in development after the rendering code is completed - but a run-around-and-shoot-stuff test will only be made when all/most of the modules are complete?

Hmmmm where did i hear carmack say that a Test will appear later in development that Q3 Test was released? - il have a look...

I properly won't download the test (It'll ruin too many of the surprises of the final game), but I would prefer the test to have one small level (maybe just a part of a level) were you start with the simplest weapons - melee weapon and weakest ammo-consuming weapon and towards the end of the map you get to pick up *one* weapon (preferably the single barreled shotgun - if it's there).

Enemies in the test: Only very few of 'em, and only the simplest enemies (imp, "former human" and perhaps *one* shotgun guy).

No story-telling aspects, and not many general details in the test!

I will download the test, but of course that doesn't means I'll be able to run it. I have faith in id they won't include spoilers in there.

Just an engine test, an oportunity to play around with those shadows. There's a difference between seeing them moving to fixed locations in a movie (in-game or not), and being able to actually bend the way the level's lightened. That's something I've been waiting for a long time.

SPOILER

well, just release couple of dm maps and sp maps, just 1 or 2. I wanna save some surprises at last

That would be a full-fledged demo, and it would probably wheight 550 megs.

A test would be MUCH smaller in comparison.

they should make the size of D3test as small as possible,the less the file size is,much more easier to download.and many people can download the file and test how the game work on varied system and help id for looking for bugs.

I will download the test, but of course that doesn't means I'll be able to run it. I have faith in id they won't include spoilers in there.

Just an engine test, an oportunity to play around with those shadows. There's a difference between seeing them moving to fixed locations in a movie (in-game or not), and being able to actually bend the way the level's lightened. That's something I've been waiting for a long time.

Yeah, that'll be ok (Much better than the stuff I suggested) :-)!