Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Rocket launcher only

Sounds like a TAS project to me. Map07 would be tricky otherwise too: you'd definitely want to do it with the rocket jump.

Or maybe semi-TAS/DDQ-style - i.e. just one save at the end/start of levels, but normal play otherwise.

Perhaps with -nodes 1, where you get a Rocket launcher in Map01 (with a Box of rockets in the secret room at the end of the hall, to boot.) Also, since initially it would be a feat to do it in itself, it'd be no big deal if Map07 were done max-style.

Per episode it'd be more reasonable, and the DOOM episodes would surely be doable.

Yeah, using weapons 1 and 5 seems like a more practical limitation. Maybe even for a Max movie, as well.

RamboBones said:
The problem with doing map 7 max style is that you'd probably run out of rockets.

True. Though you do get up to 34 Rockets there (using -nodes 1) you don't get many on previous levels (some of which you use along the way) and there is no infighting on Map07. So one would need to pick up some (or all) the Rockets in the Mancubus area and exit.

Hmmm that sounds like an interesting idea. I may try this fist/rocket and see how far I can get. I wouldn't mess with any of this nodes 1 stuff, it's better just to play it normally.

myk said:

Yeah, using weapons 1 and 5 seems like a more practical limitation. Maybe even for a Max movie, as well.

This is true, since map28 would require the use of a fist to open the way to the exit.

Re map18 and map28, using weapon 1 just to open doors doesn't seem like a big deal. In any case, weapon 1+5 is a neat combination.

One can also consider one arbitrary weapon only. Presumably the shotgun would be the best for Doom ep1, for example (or...?)

Actually, map07 shouldn't be a problem. Playing with IDDQD and collecting all rockets up until map07, I managed to exit the map with 14 rockets left (not playing optimally). So you'd have at least 12 rockets to spend on map03-map06 (after you survive map02).

I think that this challenge could be a bit difficult. I found level 2 takes quite a bit if patience and level 4 is probably similar. There's really not many rockets to work with up to that point so basically it's just chainsaw work and level 2 has lots of shotgunners. I'm not really afraid of map 7 because you should have a few rockets so that should take care of most of the spiders and should also make the mancos a bit more managable.