Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Greatest Game of All Time

...or one of them at least. Doom has been inducted into Gamespot's Greatest Games of All Time archive of stuff. Despite a few possible errors in their article, it's nice to know that this ol' game is still getting recognition after 12+ years.

Neither Wolfenstein nor Doom are even close to being the first FPS games. I know there was Hovertank and Catacombs 3D before it, along with a few first person RPGs and so on. That was one of the more major omissions/errors I could find.

The biggest error I noticed was that they said Doom could only be played on a LAN. The must not have known about Dwango. Still, I don't think any of the errors detracted from the article.

Though they've mentioned that Doom can only be played on a LAN, they've also mentioned about the various source ports and multiplayer over the internet, but yes, not so specifically.

That article is for people who haven't played the game but need to get an idea of how influential the game has been in the genre and PC gaming.

It took much more than it should to be featured (OTOH CS was featured in 2003. WTF).

Snarboo said:

Neither Wolfenstein nor Doom are even close to being the first FPS games. I know there was Hovertank and Catacombs 3D before it, along with a few first person RPGs and so on. That was one of the more major omissions/errors I could find.

I don't believe they made that claim. They stated "it was another id game, Wolfenstein 3D, that in 1992 introduced gamers to the concept of the first-person shooter". I would take this to mean that they were saying that it was the first FPS shooter of the modern era that became very widely known and had most of the features that are now considered characteristic for an FPS, not that it was absolutely the first of the genre.

Overall, I thought this article was pretty good by the standards of these things.

Yeah, I didn't find too many glaring errors... They got Aliens TC mixed up with the Quake version, since AFAIK Fox didn't know/care about the Doom mod. Other than that it seemed pretty accurate.

Snarboo said:

Hell, there was BATTLEZONE for arcade/Atari (yes, I do count that.)

Greatest game of all time? I already knew that. but in a list of 150 games -- well, a crap load (it's like they took every game they could think of and threw it in there) with one of them being "Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix", it just doesn't seem like the list is very credible, especially considering the amount of flaws in Doom's article.

KwadDamyj said:

Hell, there was BATTLEZONE for arcade/Atari (yes, I do count that.)

Heh, Midwinter 1-2 (battlefield like spy game where you had one of the biggest playing fields in games ever).
Midwinter 1 and 2

exp(x) said:

The biggest error I noticed was that they said Doom could only be played on a LAN. The must not have known about Dwango. Still, I don't think any of the errors detracted from the article.

This error is not really that great, as the first released version(s?) of Doom only HAD IPX-Lan support for multiplayer games.

Man, looking at that list it seems like they took long enough in including it. Hell, it got beat to the punch by Freespace 2, Dance Dance Revolution, and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

The article said:

You played as a space marine stationed on the Martian moon of Phobos, where the Union Aerospace Corporation has been conducting experiments with matter teleportation. Those lousy scientists manage to open a rift to hell, from which spews forth a terrible demonic host that slaughters everyone at the base--except you. So it was up to you to grab the nearest weapon and blast your way through the hordes, eventually neutralizing the very source of the threat within hell's own gaping maw.

If I remember correctly from reading the instruction manual from all of the pre-Doom 64 console versions, that's not exactly how it happened. You were actually sent to Mars itself first and then "shipped to Phobos pronto" after recieving a distress call from Phobos. Then you were left to guard the perimeter of the hangar for hours until noboby else contacted you and took it upon yourself to go in and take charge.

Or something like that.

Doom wasn't exactly renowned for its original storyline.

I think the thing people often times forget about (the younger generation of gamers in particular), is that these games they are playing nowadays that are being hailed as the best ever (notably, Halo 2 and Half-Life 2) wouldn't even be here thanks to Doom. Bungie and Valve owe a great deal of their success to id, probably as much, if not more, than id would owe theirs to the Apple II.

On top of that, Doom still kicks those games' ass.

/me points to Castle Master

Now, if someone would make a 3DCK_a_like, the Freescape Engine used in CastleMaster is used in 3D construction kit too, doom map editor....... now that would rock *g*

Scopeless said:

they got some REALLY good games on that list. I like almost all of them.

yeah i was wondering about that, almost as if it was a list of the Greatest Games of all Time or something ;)

Bastet Furry said:

/me points to Castle Master

Now, if someone would make a 3DCK_a_like, the Freescape Engine used in CastleMaster is used in 3D construction kit too, doom map editor....... now that would rock *g*

I'm gonna pimp this again, and this as well.

Didn't see Boulder Dash either. Or Joust. It's funny how the only 8-bit games that got included are the mainstream uber-classics.

Well of course, it's not like they do some kind of extensive research on these things (if such a thing is even possible). At most they looked up asles figures ofr games and wrote about those. More likely the writer(s) just got together and named some games they "really really" liked.

Still, it's nice to see doom get props here and there these days.