Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

The Internet vs Ebaumsworld

As many of you know, Ebaumsworld has long been (rightly) accused of stealing content from other websites, most notably including Somethingawful.com and Newgrounds.com. Attempts to get said content removed have been ignored, and in some cases the protesting websites have been attacked (for example, ebaums for a while has had a javascript code on their front page that caused a browser to load 3 somethingawful pages for every load of ebaums, for no justifyable reason, in what can be easily termed as a DDoS attack). Such attacks have gone unpunished, while Eric Bauman has continued to make money and steal content.

However, at some point he went too far when he stole a popular image from YTMND. Im not sure what happened next, but apparently there was enough of an outcry from the YTMND community that large amounts of the community started attacking Ebaumsworld by any means necessary, including forum spamming, ping attacks, DDoS attacks (which have been stopped at the owner of YTMND's request), emails to advertisers on ebaumsworld, and more.

YTMND isn't alone in this massive attack either. Since Saturday, it has been joined by many popular sites, such as newgrounds, somethingawful, 4chan, gamefaqs, and fark, and many more lesser forums.

You can read more about this frankly awe inspiring internet event here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebaumsworld <- the bottom of the article describes the event
http://raidebaums.jconserv.net/index.php <- the "staging grounds" for the attack

i check YTMND all the time, a animated gif of Lindsay Lohan headshots where she never changed her expression was stolen and YTMND generally willing to assault websites whenever theres a chance went insane. People were pinging ytmnd thousands of times and writing batch files and scripts to make it easier, the ebaums forum was swamped with users from all over spamming and destroying and stuff. heh ebaumsworld does piss me off and a bunch of other people too, its reached a point where everyone cant stand it anymore. its crazy, the internet is so big but things like this show how small the net really is (in the sense the "world" is small). I mean I meet people all over the net and sometimes your like "wait dont i know you from (wherever)" and then things like this, where its all fellow web citiziens, probably people we know from all over, being coordinated on various forums and IRC channels. I dunno its just kinda crazy, its like another life and world.

or maybe i'm just a dork who spends to much time on the web.

Yup, heard about this last month. I don't think anything has risen a particular group into the internet spotlight like this since LUE and their various antics.

Hey I never heard about it :(

Topics like this are good for people whose only connection to the outside world is DW :P

Nightmare Doom said:

You can read more about this frankly awe inspiring internet event here:

Vaguely interesting, possibly, but it takes a damn sight more than this to inspire awe in me.

Awe: A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might. A profound emotion inspired by a deity; "the fear of God".

Nah! Very few things described as "awesome" really are, and this is no exception.

Lüt said:

Hey I never heard about it :(

Topics like this are good for people whose only connection to the outside world is DW :P

I'm sorry Lüt, but I'll fill you in. Ok, so a bunch of 12-year-olds got into a content dispute with a 30-year-old weirdo and they both had forum goons who "invaded" each others forums. That's pretty much it. I'm a fan of ytmnd, but this whole thing was dumb all the way around.

Enjay said:

Vaguely interesting, possibly, but it takes a damn sight more than this to inspire awe in me.

Awe: A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might. A profound emotion inspired by a deity; "the fear of God".

Nah! Very few things described as "awesome" really are, and this is no exception.

Heh, don't forget there's a relativity factor in the use of such terminology as well.

gatewatcher said:

I'm sorry Lüt, but I'll fill you in. Ok, so a bunch of 12-year-olds got into a content dispute with a 30-year-old weirdo and they both had forum goons who "invaded" each others forums. That's pretty much it. I'm a fan of ytmnd, but this whole thing was dumb all the way around.

Oh.

Wonderful.

Yeah, I saw this a couple weeks ago when it was posted on the front page of somethingawful.

Airraid and I've been linking to that site when it was bigboys.com in #zdoom since the beginning of time.

And a lot of the videos on there are getting super-timeline now

gatewatcher said:

15 to 16 actually, there's proof in this one ytmnd..