Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

Did anyone ever own a Sega CD...?

I think Lüt did but he has very few internets these days, so..

I'm thinking of getting one of these off ebay as I'm re-living my early teens 16-bit years atm only this time I can afford it (this was an insane £270 in the UK when it came out).

What I need to know is on the Sega CD II (note, mark 2) do you need anything extra to connect it to the Genesis/Mega Drive? Or does it just connect to the console and is ready to go?

Also do share your zany Genesis/CD experiences from those halcyon days.

I'd buy a Sega Neptune if a blue moon such as that appears on Ebay some day. That's mainly since it's the collectors' item to end all collectors' items, and not because I like any Satern/CD/32X games.

I say if you can find it get a Sega CD-X. The CDX is the Sega CD and Sega Genesis game system that can also be used as a portable cd player.

I have and I still play it every once in a while.

The only draw back that the CDX has is that it cant play 32X games.

If your going to get a Sega CD the game Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side is a must have.

My brothers rented Splatterhouse 3 when it first came out in...what, like '93 or something...I didn't get to play but what I saw blew me away. So I got it on ebay a year ago just for the sake of having it evne though I already have the rom.

I had one. The only game I remember being worth anything was Sonic CD. That was one cool game, and was extra cool because it had animated cinematics in it, or at least an intro. Was fun. :)

Linguica said:

Why not just get an emulator geez.

Heh, that's completely not the point. The point is I want to actually have the feeling I'm back then, shitty FMV games and all. I don't want just another thing for my PC, I want to plug an actual thing into the TV and say omg it's 1993 again. Of course that will probably mean disc errors because like all old CD consoles they just die after a while. Witness my PSX, that will only boot discs when sat on its side..

I'm also aware that most of the games are shite but I think the situation in Europe is slightly better than North America where the CD really did flop.

As for the CD-X, yes they look quite good but they're rare here and I'm not prepared to pay the difference, especially as I already have the Mega Drive to plug in.

pritch said:

As for the CD-X, yes they look quite good but they're rare here and I'm not prepared to pay the difference, especially as I already have the Mega Drive to plug in.

Ya the CDX isnt cheap. But, its still not as bad as the Noegeo.

Neogeo games and systems can get very expensive. A kid that I knew at Job Corps got a Neogeo and a game for $399.00.

But, I have been thinking of getting one. There are some great games on the NeoGeo.

I have a Sega CD. I have the newer version that connects onto the side instead of underneath, but I have an original model Genesis. In fact, my Genesis is so old is has a weird serial like port on the back I've not seen on any other ones.
The only thing you want to make sure you have are the RF shielding plates attached to your Genesis (they came with the Sega CD). I've not used mine without them but I'm sure they're needed or they wouldn't be there!

pritch said:

Of course that will probably mean disc errors because like all old CD consoles they just die after a while. Witness my PSX, that will only boot discs when sat on its side..

Heh I'm sure it's just me because I take very good care of my consoles, but both my Saturn and Sega CD have outlived all my friends playstations. Shit they've outlived my PS2 which won't read DVDs anymore...

Well, there is the fact that since the PSX onwards Sony build quality on all their products has taken a nosedive.

I have a newish cd-walkman and it's the last Sony product I'll buy for now. The quality is nowhere near as good as my early 90s one.

pritch said:

I have a newish cd-walkman and it's the last Sony product I'll buy for now. The quality is nowhere near as good as my early 90s one.

Hah same here, the piece of shit broke down after 2 years, my cd walkman from 93 STILL WORKS.

pritch said:

Also do share your zany Genesis/CD experiences from those halcyon days.

Spending a huge chunk of my younger years on Sonic. I'll leave it at that.

pritch said:

Heh, that's completely not the point. The point is I want to actually have the feeling I'm back then, shitty FMV games and all. I don't want just another thing for my PC, I want to plug an actual thing into the TV and say omg it's 1993 again.

I had a Genesis / Sega CD for years before I got rid of it in 2002. Playing emulated games on a PC hooked up to a TV is 99.9% the same thing minus the hassle of 15 year old hardware.

I have sonic cd for gamecube, and that was the only game I was interested in for sega cd.

Quite good, btw.

Linguica said:

I had a Genesis / Sega CD for years before I got rid of it in 2002. Playing emulated games on a PC hooked up to a TV is 99.9% the same thing minus the hassle of 15 year old hardware.

I dunno, hooking my PC up to my TV would be as big a pain in the ass for me as anything, they're in different rooms and connected to endless different things.

Did you get one of those original joypads that now come with usb attachments for PC use?

Also more generally my menacer light gun arrived today. Online reviews have said it's shit and OK it's poorly supported but no it's not shit and yes playing T2 arcade was actually like being back in the arcades before they filled up with fucking DDR, in other words quite easily worth the £15 I paid for it.

I wish the arcade near me would "fill up" with DDR. Something besides racing games would be nice too.

Anyway, Sonic CD, Mickey Mania, Wonder Dog, Popful Mail, Keio Flying Squadron, and Puggsy are all the good fun. If you're into space shooters, try Silpheed and Sol-Feace.

I did and do and it was the best console I've had.

I've also never used an emulator than can properly play a single one of my CDs past the first level, let alone even start the game properly. Get the real thing. I'll spam with a full list of favorites later.

Heh, I was just talking about Sega CD with someone tonight. I have one but only one game for it however it is a good one: Lunar.

And emulation isn't the same as the real thing although it can be pretty good in some cases.

Heh, update;

I managed to get one on ebay for £31.49 delivered (just over $50)

It's a mk1 with a mk1 mega drive on it as well;

It hasn't arrived yet but I've picked up a couple of CDs already. Ones like Night Trap, Snatcher and Corpse Killer are proving too expensive so far though :\

Gokuma said:

And emulation isn't the same as the real thing although it can be pretty good in some cases.

It can be really good if you have a powerful computer. My 1.6 GHZ Pentium 4 computer can run PSONE and SNES emulators with no slowdown at all.

A Pentium 3 933 MHz with 256 megs of RAM was able to play Ehrgeiz (a very demanding game) almost perfectly in software rendering through ePSXe. That's saying something.

caco_killer said:

It can be really good if you have a powerful computer. My 1.6 GHZ Pentium 4 computer can run PSONE and SNES emulators with no slowdown at all.

When it looks and even sounds right, the control is sometimes still off.

Gokuma said:

When it looks and even sounds right, the control is sometimes still off.

I've noticed the USB controller I have doesn't work as well as my keyboard. I was playing Lufia 2 yesterday and the movement controls felt hyper sensitive, but not with the keyboard. Do you know if those usb plugs that let you use the system's controllers with your computer work well?

Mine was the new style version which promptly broken after about a month of use. When you buy used hardware....

I only bought two games alas Snatcher and Soul Star. My littlest bro did get ahold of Night Trap for the 32X/SegaCD however.

Here's a good test for NES emulators. Try to competently play Crash n the boys: Street Challenge / Bikkuri Nekketsu Shin Kiroku! Harukanaru Kin Medal. The actual cart I beat winning 1st overall (not neccessarily every event). But I can't do shit in the game in any emulator, whether NNNesterJ (PC or Dreamcast version), Nesten, or Nesticle.

BTW, I highly recommend the game as it's a good challenge and also the most sadistic sports/fighting game I've ever played.