Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ebon

5 min clock door? where are they?

Any place in Doom (or doom2) or any custom wad which uses sector type "14. After 5 minutes open like a door, wait and close" ?

All the compet-n Max times for Ultimate Doom are under 5 minutes, so if there are any, they don't open up secrets or release monsters, and they are not necessary to exit the map. Edit: actually, the logic there isn't quite solid, are there are maps where the compet-n rules allow <100% for a valid Max. However, for Ultimate Doom at least all these appear to be due to other issues.

Possibly it's a feature id had thought they might use but didn't find a use for, or decided against it. Does anyone know in which version this sector type first appeared, or if it was used in any of the alphas/betas?

No access to a leveleditor right now (or Doom for that matter) since I'm at work, but didn't something related to the secret exit in MAP15 of Doom2 make use of that?

Grazza said:

Possibly it's a feature id had thought they might use but didn't find a use for

I think it would have been more widely used if it stayed open.

Anyway there's another one in 2002ado E1M9

RjY said:

I think it would have been more widely used if it stayed open.

One can always make a 50-cyberdemon 5-minute time limit. The cybers must be under the door.

I think they never used it due to its uselessness. Think about it: A door that opens for 4 seconds after 5 minutes and then never again? You can't do much with it. The secret in Eternal's MAP05 is probably the best you could ever do.