Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xtife

map light levels

heyas

im making a map with doom builder, its a dark base at night. im having problems with the lighting of the map

it was to dark to play alot of the map before, so i brightend it up a bit
but now it looks like a dark base in the daytime :)

doom builder's 3d mode looks alot different then doom, doom renders stuff much differently, so its hard for me to find the right brightness level and stuff.
any idea on what level would be best without making -too- dark

im using gzdooms default gl mode settings to test it, but maybe thats also the problem?

Xtife said:

im using gzdooms default gl mode settings to test it, but maybe thats also the problem?

Better test with the software renderer as well (bind a key to 'toggle vid_renderer' and you can switch between both instantly.)

The default (Doom) lighting mode is quite close to the software renderer but you should verify both. They are not the same.

i tested it in gzdoom software mode and it looked the same pretty much

i thought if i was using the default settings, that it would be the same mostly for every port, unless of course someone changed there brightness

for the most part, the level uses a level of 96, and 80 for really dark spots. 144 for outside and windows, which even though its night time outside, the moon is brightning things up :) i use 128 and 112 for gradiant. 196 or 172 for lamps and stuff and 176, 160, 144 for gradiant

id post the level as it is now for yas to check over, but my map uses alot of custom textures that i havent been able to get DB to save from the custom texture wads to my own wad

or maybe its just the glare in my room from the window my computer is next to lol :) is also a possibility but, i wanted to make sure that the levels where atleast birght enough to play

Xtife said:

for the most part, the level uses a level of 96, and 80 for really dark spots. 144 for outside and windows, which even though its night time outside, the moon is brightning things up :) i use 128 and 112 for gradiant. 196 or 172 for lamps and stuff and 176, 160, 144 for gradiant

That is indeed quite dark. You should brighten it up a little.

The higher levels seem to be ok but forcing someone to play a level that is mostly 96 brightness can be considered torture! ;)

Just in case you don't know and if you do decide to brighten the whole map, you can save alot of time by using a feature supported by most editors.

Highlight all the sectors and type ++16 in the brightness field to change the light in every sector by that amount. Or ++32 if you needed it even more bright. Much easier than doing each sector manually.

Simply highlight everything while in sector mode and then right click to enter the edit dialog window, then type in the value.

Example

iv been through twice doing manually each sector, once to brighten it up, and then back to dark lol

Also in DB, Ctrl+PgUp or Ctrl+PgDown shifts the brightness by 16.

It is a little quicker than going in and out of the box.

iv brightend the map by ++16, it looks better, hopfully wont look so bad when i add the custom sky :)

does anyone know how i can have DB save the textures from my custom texture wad to my own wad when i save it at all?

Xtife said:

does anyone know how i can have DB save the textures from my custom texture wad to my own wad when i save it at all?

IIRC DB is not for lump (evey file inside a wad is a lump) managing. You would have to use XWE or something similar.

true, but this woudlnt fall under that kind of thing would it? :)

i made the stupid move of combining all textures wads i had into one, and now i have to go through it all and find the ones iv used now :p just saying it would be easier

Xtife said:

Unfortunately, if you want to extract few textures you're using from among hundreds... you gonna need a good lump manager, and a lot of patience.

The lump managment situation is a tad depressing right now, unfourtunatly. XWE is going to be your best bet for most situations, especially yours.

I like deutex. Using the command line takes some learning curve, but after a little practice its great for what you need to do.

You can dump everything into folders with ...

deutex -xtract my_big.wad

Mark out the stuff your not using by placing a # in front each item your not using in the wadinfo.txt file it generates in step one.

Then put the whole thing back together with something like

deutex -make wadinfo.txt my_small.wad

If you have time to experiment check it out.

this makes me wish codeimp was still workin on doom builder :(

im surprised no one has volenteered to take over for him

Xtife said:

Yes, it would.

not really, your not editing the lumps in anyway, its all automatic :) this totaly makes sence for this to be in a map editor
and would make things alot easier for n00b mappers

if it alows you to supply your own texture wad, the least it could do is add them to your map wad aswell

You could just change the sky texture to a nightsky that has a full moon. The Moon's pretty bright. o_o This way, you wont have to edit all the outside lighting levels.

i havent really foudn alot of night skys, the ones i did find were mostly just space skys :)

i downloaded a whole bunch from jive's site, but if you know where i can get some more that would great :)

Ezxariarch said:

You could just change the sky texture to a nightsky that has a full moon. The Moon's pretty bright. o_o This way, you wont have to edit all the outside lighting levels.

Steal them from Duke Nukem ^_^. It has plenty of space skies. THough you'll need to do some resizing.