Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

post your new Doom monsters

There has already been a Monster Reource WAD for ZDoom, and I'm not trying to challenge it, but we all know that most of the monsteres there were just recoloured default Doom characters - and that was strongly disliked by many. Even though some graphics were beautifully blended parts of different monsters and looked / felt very well. Such as Imp warlord, Cacolich, Tortured Soul, Rebirth Baron and others. Well done decorate files don't change the fact that many monsters lacked invention.
Yes I know that making a decent sprite with all animation frames is a difficult and time-taking task, but this is exactly what I ask you to do here.

I'd like to start some community work on a new set of monsters, and here are some rules:

1. GRAPHICS FIRST - I'm not interested in scripts. Of course a good script is also a hard work to do, but what I'm seeking here is graphics, or preferably I seek artists - people that can do graphics.
2. NO RECOLOURS - Of course you can recolour your monster if it is already something new and you just want it to be more distinguished from defaults... but a Red Imp, that has nothing more to present only that he's a red imp will not be counted here. I don't care that he has a well scripted attack. I didn't say anything for those monster beeing for Vanilla, ZDoom, Edge or anything. As I said - I'm looking forward to see your _graphics_.
3. INVENTION - if you can draw a decent monster by yourself, then you are a sprite god to me, if you can't: there's _always_ something you can to by blendning, rotating, recolouring scaling parts of already made graphics or even drawing something by yourself, to make your work look unique and original.
4. ONE FRAME IS OKAY - well, that's not really a rule saying that we don't want monsters with more than one frame, nooo... I'm saying that if you already have a good frame (and only this one) of something you'd like to show, feel free to post it here.
For exapmple I'm putting a frame of my Steam Demon standing on guard. It's just that one frame I'm showing and I'll do the rest later. This frame is just an information that I have an idea to work on.

Feel free to post all your monsters, and "monster WIPs". I hope you like the little mixing I did to pinky and that you'll show some artistic invention and skills.

STEAM DEMON

ATM I wasn't thinking about it, but the intention of this thread is to create monsters that will be animated, and will be available for usage in PWADS.

The one-frame rule only means that it's enough for one frame to be shown, but it doesn't mean one shouldn't continue work to get the monster from all angles and in all frames *gulp!*...

Oh, while we're at it, anyone knows how to get may hand on frames used to create the armoured revenant? I guess tih guy only has his frontal frame, so I'd do the full animation.

Stationary attack frames:

I also intend on making attack frames while moving. Hope it is possible to code that type of behaviour...

I always wanted to see a sequel to the monster resource wad so I might help out. I've had alot of practice with happytime circus 2 as far as drawing sprites is concerned. Only problem is coming up with a decent monster idea. I'll be able to script the monster and add sounds for it too once I have a good idea.

Shtbag667 said:

Only problem is coming up with a decent monster idea.

You'll come up with something.
I always wanted to see how a monster between human and mancubus aspects would look like.
If you don't have any Idea I may do it one day... when my skil is enough.

To code a monster that walks while shooting just do something like this.

Monster attack frame #1: Codepointer aiming, duration whatever you want.
Whatever monster frame: codepointer walking, duration 0.
Monster attack frame #2: codepointer attack
Another monster frame: codepointer walking, duration 0
Monster attack frame#3: codepointer look for targets (optional)
Another walking frame with duration 0 (optional)
Restart sequence (optional)

Edit: What kind of project are you working on, and what kind of monsters do you need?

ellmo said:

ATM I wasn't thinking about it, but the intention of this thread is to create monsters that will be animated, and will be available for usage in PWADS.

I've been about 60-70% of the way through creating a full sprite set for the plague imp I submitted to the beastiary for at least a year now. It's something I've had a real difficulty finding the time and motivation to finish. I will do it - sooner or later.

Similarly, I always thought a "mash-up" between the Cyberdemon and the Tchernobog (sp?) sprites from Blood would make a good Zombified, rotting Cyberdemon. I had actually planned a mod featuring the plague imp, the cacolich and a few other rotting demons, finishing with a zombiecyberdemon boss but my stalling with the imp sprites has meant everything else stalling too. Shame, it's a nice, simple, self-contained little story set a number of years after the hell invasion of Doom2 when an old underground railway that was sealed off during the war gets re-opened and a solitary marine gets sent in to the now warped and poison filled cave system. I had lots of nice, hellish wall textures and everything looked out, and a pretty good idea of the level layouts and how the DECORATE for the monsters would be but it's just not gone anywhere I'm afraid. Maybe one day...

Enjay said:

Shame, it's a nice, simple, self-contained little story set a number of years after the hell invasion of Doom2 when an old underground railway that was sealed off during the war gets re-opened and a solitary marine gets sent in to the now warped and poison filled cave system.

It's good... it's goooood...

Even if you had only one frame of this Tchernodemon, but you still intend on working on it, feel free to paste it.

@ Vegeta: It's not that I'm makig another monster resource project, although I think the community could use something of better quality than the first one (I'm ready to get flamed for that). And also there aren't any rules saying how the monster should look like. It's supposed to be something requiring more effort than turning hue up/down on the existing sprites.

But if people show interest, even a few good monsters are worth being packed and sent to the archives for community use.

As for my Steam Demon, it'll probably make his fisrt appearance in DRD.

ellmo said:

Even if you had only one frame of this Tchernodemon, but you still intend on working on it, feel free to paste it.

I had done all the front facing walking frames. The Tcherno...wassisname sprite is bigger than the Cybie, so I scaled up the cybie sprites in PSP and was going to scale them back down again in DECORATE to create a slightly hi-res monster. I'd grafted the metal leg and rocket launcher of the Cybie on to tcher..., and a few other bits an pieces, but I was having real difficulty in getting the hoof from the cybie's foot to convincingly replace tcher...'s clawed skeltal foot. Eventually I gave up in disgust and condemned what I had to the recycle bin. A rash decision and one that I regret. Only 4 graphics though, so not a huge loss.

My work on the Steam Demon is proceeding quite nicely, but there's one rotation I can hardly come up with soemthing sensible. Diagonal backwards of course (A4A6 / B4B6 / (...))... Putting Cybie legs on the demon in this frame is very hard and almost always look very unnatural... and ugly.

Here is a couple of frames I came up with recently:

Ahaahahhahhahaaaaa!
Taking into account the way he moves, I'd call it: Gaydancer, RainbowDemon... or daemongay
You should make him smiling and give him sweet-dreamy eyes...

Otherwise... it's still a decent graphic job.

Hehehehe thats freaky and funny at the same time, something for an joke wad I think.
Still kudos for the job you did on this..

[edit]That steamdemon looks pretty sweet, very original I hope it will be finished some day.

Hey guys... Im new to doomworld...

However, I ain't new to editing doom! Sprites and level editing is my specialty... I would be more than happy to help out with this project.

A year ago, I was registered on zdoom forums... so it's been awhile.
I'll start working on a revved up cyberdemon... ill be making various sprites also. Only concern is where do i post my sprites?

ellmo said:

I also intend on making attack frames while moving. Hope it is possible to code that type of behaviour...

I've been doing sprites for a long time, and I honestly just love the way you've done this one. The mouth movement is just such a good addition, maybe I'll come up with some stuff to enter.

Javoric said:

Hey guys... Im new to doomworld...

However, I ain't new to editing doom! Sprites and level editing is my specialty... I would be more than happy to help out with this project.

This sounds like some fresh talent in the town. I urge you to show us that cyberdemon preview so we can judge your abilities as you certainly got my attention ;)

ellmo said:

Image here

Not bad, but you need to (*should*) stance his legs. Or he'll have a very poor balance.

Two things i think

One: That is an awesome idea. I'd love to have a new Monster resource wad. ;)

2: Two: it would also be cool if The monster's from the here http://haunt.8m.com/beastiary/ were made. That cyberdemon guardian is awesome.

Oh and Ellmo. I like the Steam demon :)

EDIT

An attempt at an enemy

Flamer Zombie

@NMN: Yes, Ill do my best on the cyberdemon, although it will take awhile for me to finish it. Ill begin posting up my sprites on this thread soon... but i wont post anything until i am satisfied with how he will look.

Question: If I were to make an animated avatar for this forum, how would I go about doing that?

@Ellmo: Demon looks good... i take it its close range?

Hey. I attempted 2 more Monsters

Snake Solider. With an Acid Flayer Gun

Robot Guardian. With a Hellstaff.

I like this idea! I'm a sucker for new monsters. I love the work that's been done so far... I wish I had such art talent as the people here!

Anyway, here's one of my new WIPs... it's from an idea I had 6 or 7 years ago, back before we had the ability to do DECORATE monsters... He's called a Kantaar.

And this one was from a project of mine that will probably never get finished (I'm still not good at mapping -- although I would like to finish the sprites, at least)... it's a sort of female variant of the Mancubus...

That are very nice sprites Aqua. If I'm not wrong, the monsters are, Imp, baron of hell torso, and centaur, I like it. The other is very nice too.

I thought Centaur, but the body looks somehow different. Hooves might be from Baron, since Centaur has claws instead.

The Kantaar rocks. I'd really like to battle this in Hexen.
The female mancubus is.. disturbing ;)

You guys got it right -- Baron torso, Imp head, Centaur body, Baron hooves. I enlarged the Centaur body a bit, since it seemed a bit small to me, and the horns on his head are actually from the Lost Soul :> Hopefully I will get him done soon.

@Mordeth - Sorry about the IMG thing... at least I know now. Thanks for pointing it out!

Aquashark. I like your Ideas! :)

I'm Defiently doing these Ideas

Flamer Zombie
Snake Soldier
Robot-Guardain

And Maybe

Ettin-Knight (Cross Breed between An Ettin and a Hell knight)

Great job here so far, Ellmo's little demon looks so cute :) And Aqua's Kantaar is obsolete :) I'd like to contribute but I think it is better for me to stick with mapping instead... never was a friend of sprite creation.