Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

Eastern Eggs in DooM Ports

In Boom, Jim Flynn changed the text on the player arrow when using the map cheat (iddt) from "ddt" to "jff" (his initials).

In MBF/PrBoom, turn on HOM detection, walk through a wall until you see some HOM, and press fire. You should see Lee Killough's face in the middle of the screen.

I don't know if this still works, but try typing "r0x0rz delux0rz" into the Eternity console. If it works, you will get a tiled picture of my face along with a message.

There is probably a "quote" console command which displays random IRC quotes as well.

fraggle said:

In MBF/PrBoom, turn on HOM detection, walk through a wall until you see some HOM, and press fire. You should see Lee Killough's face in the middle of the screen.

can't reproduce in PrBoom 202, 224, 226

type pritch in zdoom 2.0.96x's console.

You will see me dressed as the dalai lama handing out mince pies at the local supermarket.

No, really!

Yes, fraggle's head easter egg is still in Eternity. Also in Eternity, change your player name to Quasar and look at the console prompt. It will have changed from $ to #, indicating that you now have root access (which does nothing btw ;)

entryway: PrBoom probably doesn't have the Killough face. It is only in BOOM 2.01, 2.02, and MBF 2.03. Fraggle took it out of SMMU for some unconceivable reason and thus it's not currently in Eternity either :P

The first time I ever saw Killough's head was while testing the MBF beta levels for Lee. I thought I was going insane and told him about it; he found the incident somewhat amusing :P

Quasar said:

Yes, fraggle's head easter egg is still in Eternity.

"'r0x0rz' is an unknown command" with 3.33.02. Fraggles head is still there, though :)

The face image data is still in prboom (R_RenderPlayerView, r_main.c) although it seems the code to display it has been disabled.

Out of curiosity I decided to convert it:

RjY said:

The face image data is still in prboom (R_RenderPlayerView, r_main.c) although it seems the code to display it has been disabled.

It works!
After TNTHOM cheat.

fraggle said:
In Boom, Jim Flynn changed the text on the player arrow when using the map cheat (iddt) from "ddt" to "jff" (his initials).

Not only did I not know that this was changed (the "jff" can be seen in PrBoom as well, BTW), I didn't even know that there was text on the player arrow when using IDDT! I had always assumed it was just a "beefed up" player indicator. After playing this game for so long, I *still* learn new things about it...

Kristian Ronge said:
I didn't even know that there was text on the player arrow when using IDDT! I had always assumed it was just a "beefed up" player indicator. After playing this game for so long, I *still* learn new things about it...

Heh, me neither, I hadn't even been playing attention to the fact that its "beefed up" in some way. But yeah, the ddt surely is there...!

heh for, like, ever i've been wandering WTF that was, i thought it was some corrupt fubar'ed attempt at making it say "PLR" or such like