Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ree-c

Lower case

Well, this is just a suggestion for XWE, there is a game called SRB2, which making extra characters in wads requires lower case lump names, could lower case name capability be implemented into XWE?

Thanks.

Most source ports (or possibly all) do not recognize case differences in lump names, so even if the editor allowed you to input such names, they wouldn't work the way you wanted, I'm afraid.

This would not be difficult to add, but is it really necessary? I quickly glanced over the SRB2 website, and the suggest WadAuthor, which definitely does not have this capability. I think you are thinking about lower case stuff inside of a lump (which is no problem), not the lump name itself.

I personally would rather it didn't exist - at least I would want an option that could be turned off. I certainly don't want to mess around remembering to press shift/engage caps lock whenever I want to type in lump names and keep them standardised.

No differentiation between cases, please. That would only create massive problems.

Doom has been case insensitive from the start and there may be WADs out there that use an incorrect case for WAD entries. Therefore no source port would ever be able to implement case sensitivity for lump names - and the feature would be useless.

This game is based off of the doom legacy project, which is a source port of doom, isn't it?
Well, as some lump names need lower case in this game, if lower case isn't in a character wad file, it will crash the game at certain actions, such as falling, it would be a great help if XWE did support lower case.

If some lump names need lower case your project won't work with Legacy. Like any other source port Legacy treats lower case and upper case the same.

If this option would be added, it would be something like "don't auto-capitalize lump names", and most definitely not a default setting. However, I'm still not sure this is needed... If there are any ports out there that need this, then there should be at least one lump editor that allows you to do it.

I will do it IF you guys can point me to some documentation on 1) a port, or 2) lump editor that needs/supports this feature.

SRB2 does seem to have made case sensitive sprites important.

From the site:

Note: The entries actually start at ASCII character 60 (A) and go forward. Most editors, such as Wintex and DeePsea, only support capital letters, limiting you to a total of 32 frames (up to `). SRB2 goes beyond this (currently uses 34), and Wintex/DeePsea will ruin a wad if you save it without taking the right precautions. Don't blame us, it's these darn utilities we've gotta put up with. =P
Before saving your file, rename any of the would-be lowercase entries at the end to something else that you can easily distinguish. For example, I'll rename:

KNUXa2a8

to

KNUKa2a8

(Note that Wintex/DeePsea will display the lowercase entires with a capital letter - which means you'll have a KNUXA2A8 at the beginning of your file and KNUXA2A8 near the end. The one near the end is the lowercase one.)

After saving with Wintex/DeePsea, it will convert it to KNUKA2A8. Next, crack open a Hex editor. If you cleaned your wad after saving, this will be easy to do. Scroll all the way down to the end of the file until you see the large list of entry names. You'll find, for example, KNUKA2A8 at the very end. Change it to KNUXa2a8.

It may sound hard, but it is really quite easy. Once you've done it for the first time, successive hex editing is painless.

Seems a silly approach to me, but it's there.

Fine, I'll add it. (BTW Enjay, did you mean it's silly to have a feature like this in a port, or a silly way to fix it? If they do need it and there's no lump editor out there, editing the file with a hex editor sounds like an okay way to do it.)

Enjay said:

SRB2 does seem to have made case sensitive sprites important.

From the site:

Seems a silly approach to me, but it's there.

1. What's SRB2?
2. What's the point? It's as easy to use another sprite name instead.

Csabo said:

BTW Enjay, did you mean it's silly to have a feature like this in a port, or a silly way to fix it? If they do need it and there's no lump editor out there, editing the file with a hex editor sounds like an okay way to do it.)

Silly to have the feature in a port in the first place. Editing it with a hex editor makes sense, but setting up a system that forces you to forgo Doom tools and pick up a hex editor in the first place, when other options are available, seems silly.

Graf Zahl said:

1. What's SRB2?

Sonic Robo Blast 2
http://www.srb2.org/

It's not a big deal though. Anyone interested can grab the beta, it's there in an option. If you turn it on, XWE will allow you to enter lowercase letters in lumpnames.

Quasar said:
Most source ports (or possibly all) do not recognize case differences in lump names, so even if the editor allowed you to input such names, they wouldn't work the way you wanted, I'm afraid.

Then this is another instance where with DeHackEd it's easy to make a Doom PWAD that (those) ports and engines do not support (well or at all); as far as entry names go, at least (not sprite frame numbers/letters like in this SRB2, which aren't editable normally.) I mean, in addition to the other changes that Boom and other similar engines don't support.