Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
david_a

Neat 3D maps of Doom levels

Somebody wrote a program to render a Doom map from a 45 degree angle, like in Diablo/Crusader/Syndicate/etc. They have all of Doom and Doom ][ rendered this way. It's a new way of looking at the maps that I thought was fairly interesting.

evilhomerdoomer said:

Thats awesome, that'd be a sweet auto map ;)

Yes, and especially if you could rotate/move up and down. Maybe something for the new ZDoomGL (since it doesn't seem to fit with GZDoom)?

Maybe you'd like to see this shot taken in Doomsday 1.9.0 (in development). I'm currently working on the ability to render multiple views of the world (splitscreen) so I thought I'd completely free the movement when in camera mode and relax the clipping/culling so that things are rendered correctly when in the "void".

It is feasible that the automap could be done this way also (after all it is simply just another view of the world but with different rendering parameters.).

Next job is to implement some simple back range culling.

They are a debugging aid - which show the physical bounding boxes (used in collision detection for example) for mobjs. Green = solid (linked in the blockmap), Red = non-solid, Yellow = special "fast moving" objects (projectiles) which use a special kind of client-side movement prediction.

That shot was taken in the built-in editor. ATM though, the only things you can edit are the BIAS light sources and plane heights (ultimately, pretty much everything in the map will be editable, in 3D, however atm we're concentrating on the "extras" stuff like placing light sources, particle generators etc).

Edit: Couple more shots
DOOMII MAP09
BatmanTC MAP19

DaniJ said:

That shot was taken in the built-in editor. ATM though, the only things you can edit are the BIAS light sources and plane heights (ultimately, pretty much everything in the map will be editable, in 3D, however atm we're concentrating on the "extras" stuff like placing light sources, particle generators etc).

!

I better go read-up about this 1.9, it sounds very interesting. Will it have any major speed optimizations or is that a 2.0 thing?

Will it have any major speed optimizations or is that a 2.0 thing?

No it won't. As I mentioned in the other thread - we are leaving optimization for latter in the 1.9.x series. At Doomsday's current point in development, optimization would be somewhat pointless considering there is so much organisational work and required features still to be completed.

Eternity might have to get a 3D automap engine at some point with the linked portals making it nearly true 3D and all ;) I'd dread writing an entire software 3D pipeline though :P

Sounds sweet Quasar. Eternity is the only software rendering port I use.

You and your team are doing very impressive things with portals.

I'd dread writing an entire software 3D pipeline though :P

I can appreciate that.

You can do this with Doombuilder too, I think. Set your resultion to high as possible and the Viewing distance to a really high number. Than just turn off gravity and move into the ceiling of the map. Look down and take a screen shot. Should be pretty close. O_o

bizzarr-o

this morning i travelled back in my mind to a question i asked on the DB forums not long since: could it be possible to overlay the floor flats and lighting (+fx emulation) in the standard 2d mode. which is how the automap looks in duke nukem 3d.

then i joined that in my head to sim city 2000, if you could make it an orthogonal view but fix it at NE,NW,SE or SW so the grid would still work then you could see most of the map, sans cielings.

and suddenly your map editor, whilst still allowing you to do all the 2d editing stuff lets you see the map as it grows, floors, walls, lighting and monsters. e.g. highlight a sector in the 3d space and edit it's properties as you would in 2d.

then someone goes and does this. darn i'm just too slow!

i do think a fixed orthogonal mode would be a good editing tool though, as it combines (certain) advantages of 2d with 3d.

Yeah, neither Doom Builder, Slade, nor Doomsday seem to be able to do an orthogonal projection. Change that and we would be in business... From what I remember using OpenGL in school, isn't changing between perspective/orthogonal views just a matter of calling a function?

This would be pretty damn groovy for automap features (albiet being limited to fairly low-height maps), but I don't see it as being useful for editing purposes. What advantage would it provide that overhead and first-person view doesn't already? Maybe there is something I am missing, but handling sectors in a 45-degree perspective seems like it would be a chore.

Yeah, neither Doom Builder, Slade, nor Doomsday seem to be able to do an orthogonal projection

All you're really asking for is a narrow FOV.

Try setting the FOV in any OpenGL/D3D rendered port to somewhere between 35-45 degrees.

From what I remember using OpenGL in school, isn't changing between perspective/orthogonal views just a matter of calling a function?

At its most basic level - yes. However there is a bit more involved (world -> screen space coordinate projection/translation. Rendereing in the void requires a different method for culling/clipping geometry etc etc).