Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom'd Marine

O.o switch Textures

I got some textures for switches, and i was wondering what it takes to be able to make them function like the default switches made for doom 2 Like, any scripting or stuff of that nature.

Nothing but belief in DOS incompatability will prevent you from running the program. I've used it on both my XP Home (heh) and XP Pro machines.

Run cmd, and in the command prompt run swantbls.exe. It should give you the help info for how to turn a animation data file into a SWITCHES or ANIMATED lump. An example of an animation data file is provided, defswani.dat.

HobbsTiger1 said:

Nothing but belief in DOS incompatability will prevent you from running the program. I've used it on both my XP Home (heh) and XP Pro machines.

Run cmd, and in the command prompt run swantbls.exe. It should give you the help info for how to turn a animation data file into a SWITCHES or ANIMATED lump. An example of an animation data file is provided, defswani.dat.

Well yours must be diffrent from mine because when i type in the spot where swantbls.exe is and it says its not a valid exe or batch =/

You'll have to navigate to the directory that you put swantbls.exe into at the command prompt.

If you are mapping for Zdoom, you can use the animdefs lump to define switches instead. This has the added advantages that you can specify which sound(s) you want the switch to use and you can have switches with more animation frames: not just on/off but intermediate frames too.

If you just want on-off switches there's an easier way of doing this. Well, from my point of view it's easier. Widen an existing switch texture (for both on and off positions) and then add your patches. This will enable you to use the original switch texture and your new one (by using an x offset for alignment). I did something similar for my congestion 1024 map.

I changed this..

to something like this....

ignore the white line on the far right, it was a quick capture and extraction from wintex.

Russell_P said:

If you just want on-off switches there's an easier way of doing this. Well, from my point of view it's easier. Widen an existing switch texture (for both on and off positions) and then add your patches. This will enable you to use the original switch texture and your new one (by using an x offset for alignment). I did something similar for my congestion 1024 map.

I changed this..
http://www.duellist.net/switch1.png
to something like this....
http://www.duellist.net/switch2.png
ignore the white line on the far right, it was a quick capture and extraction from wintex.

Gah I'll end up messing it up :P

well.. this is what i got off the wiki and tried my best to get it to work

--------------------------------------------------

SWITCH EWAL001A
ON
EWAL001A
OFF
EWAL002B

SWITCH 35W1LEV
ON
35W1LEV
OFF
35W2LEV

---------------------------------------------------

And when to test the switch i had already in the map, i got the error that said that i needed at least ON animation frame, when i had two textures, one for on and one for off

what did i do wrong? x.x

Did you look at the example? Neways I'll give an example:

#IWAD Switch1 Switch2
3     SW1LOL  SW2LOL
3     SW1HEH  SW2HEH
3     SW1ROFL SW2ROFL
Note that the line preceeded by # is a comment. Also, it might help if you use a .dat file (I always have).

HobbsTiger1 said:

Did you look at the example? Neways I'll give an example:

#IWAD Switch1 Switch2
3     SW1LOL  SW2LOL
3     SW1HEH  SW2HEH
3     SW1ROFL SW2ROFL
Note that the line preceeded by # is a comment. Also, it might help if you use a .dat file (I always have).

I -Tried- to look at the example, but i cant get it to stay open for more than a millisecond, Even if i run it from the command prompt and try searching for it, it wont work.

if you use the open-command windows power toy, iv found it much better to run dos files from a specific location in xp. and they will stay open :),

just do a search for it and once you have it installed, right click the folder where the prigram is, and use "open-command promt here" then type the full name of the program

Still not sure if you're using Zdoom, but if you are, this would work in an ANIMDEFS lump

switch doom 3 SW1whatever on pic SW2whatever tics 0