Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DemonSlayer

I need a Heretic Frontend......

Well, I just downloaded and played through the Shareware Heretic. I noticed that, obviously, the graphics were terribly outdated, so I looked up GLHeretic, over on the Google website and I found what I was looking for. Problem was though, when I unzipped it, and put it in my Doom directory, I found I couldn't use it with Heretic. This was because the shareware Heretic I downloaded just came with the WAD and that's all. I figured out you can play Heretic using ZDoom v.1.23ß8a, or something like that: when ZDoom loads up, it asks you if it's going to be Doom or Heretic1.wad. So I loaded up Heretic1, or shareware Heretic. So I figured if I could load it up that way, then I could click and drag it and GLHeretic over onto the ZDoom.exe. Apparently not. ZDoom crashes and gives me a strange error. Funny thing is, ZDoom v.1.22 runs perfectly, and click-and-dragging WADs onto it causes no problem whatsoever.
Anyway, in conclusion, is there a Heretic Frontend I can download and use to play GLHeretic?
Please tell me; this is important to me.

Well, elbryan, I just tried JHeretic. It doesn't work. It tells me I have no drOpengl.dll file in my Windows\System folder. I look and see this is true. Then I use find file and click and drag the found drOpengl.dll file into Windows\System. All of a sudden, an annoying BLEEP! and a "Cannot move this file to the desired destination" error. Some thing like that.
Sigh.

What the heck? That's weird. That must be an "undocumented feature" in a newer version. When I get home I'll throw the one I use on my ftp for you. We'll see if that works.

Well, elbryan, I just tried JHeretic. It doesn't work. It tells me I have no drOpengl.dll file in my Windows\System folder. I look and see this is true. Then I use find file and click and drag the found drOpengl.dll file into Windows\System. All of a sudden, an annoying BLEEP! and a "Cannot move this file to the desired destination" error. Some thing like that.
Sigh.

Well of course you can't <MOVE> the file into another folder. It's being used by Windows. Just make a <COPY> and throw it inside /System or Jheretic's folder.

Nevermind....I got it to recognize the DrOpengl.dll thingamabob.
The only prob I have now is that whenever I try to load up JHeretic, I get some crazy error saying "Inialization of DrOpengl.dll failed: error 1157" or close to that. It's a problem either way. What do I do?

It's a VooDoo3 (yeah, I knwo, everybody has one of those cards). I've never had any problems running OpenGL source ports up til JHeretic.

Just configure your controls through the .cfg for Heretic and play it vanilla style. There's no real dedicated Heretic source port out there.

Try JHeretic.

Just make sure you don't use it's installer (if it came with one). JDoom came with an installer and I had to manually set up the files (I just copied and overwrote the old beta and it worked). And MOST DEFINATELY do not use it's front end, that's even more worthless than the installer.

I guess it would be cool if it worked though.

And of course, King Elvis is here to pimp himself again. ^.~

What else should a pimp do, if not pimping ?