Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alando1

I have a new mega wad on its way and will be posted soon!

Attention Doomers! I have created a mega wad for all of you to see! The name of this wad is Bio Battle. This wad contains 33 maps with new of everything. I added a DECORATE Lump that has new characters, weapons and other decorations. I also would like to add that I have created friends in this wad which will assist you on most of the maps. This wad will be posted soon on alando1.com. (Tips/objectives, character info, and regualr "read me" text file for the wad will come with the zip file.)

P.S.: This wad is very large in file size (58 MB).

I'll try an post this wad by the end of this week or if not, some time next week.

-Alando1

I will post some screen shot shots soon on my site before I post my wad. Don't worry about the size of the wad. The music from Unreal and Unreal tournament that I used in the wad takes up most of the space. Plus the zip for the wad will be around 30 some odd Mega bites. Don't worry about a thing guys. Just be patient while I find some time to upload.

-Alando1

alando1 said:

Don't worry about the size of the wad. The music from Unreal and Unreal tournament that I used in the wad takes up most of the space.

I really hope you were being ironic. If you're serious you'd better add the music as an optional download (diferent wad, in a diferent zip file), if there's a way you could put midi versions of the music in the main wad and mp3 in the optional wad that would be the best. Looks potentionaly interesting though, I also hope that the new characters aren't only sprites from diferent sources without any edition. And still screenshots are a must. But I repeat there's the potential of something very interesting, so keep it up.

I don't think you can legally release a project that uses copyrighted music from the Unreal games. Best that you remove it, and replace it with midis or mp3's/ogg's instead.

umm, is it me or does tnt3 use music from unreal? or music that sounds alot like it anyways :) and thats on the archives too!!

its really not a big deal, just along as there isnt a whole soundtrack in there lol

Xtife said:

just along as there isnt a whole soundtrack in there lol

58 mb of music is not because of just one song.

Snarboo said:

I don't think you can legally release a project that uses copyrighted music from the Unreal games. Best that you remove it, and replace it with midis or mp3's/ogg's instead.

No, Unreal uses modules (s3m, it, xm etc) and they are legal for free downloading. You can get the entire Unreal/UT soundtrack from xxxxxxx

well then, that solves that problem :) haha

thanks for the link btw, i love the msuic from those games

Nmn said:

No, Unreal uses modules (s3m, it, xm etc) and they are legal for free downloading.

I doubt that very much. All of Unreal's music is copyrighted, regardless of format. Or has something changed about the music's status (not that anyone really cares.)

Dunno how copyrights are up to distributing music from that game, but modules are free for distribution, despite the game, as far as I know. That's why you can get the mod Deus Ex soundtrack at xxxxxxx, but not hi-quality music like Quake's soundtrack (mp3, oggs and so on).

Nmn said:
Dunno how copyrights are up to distributing music from that game, but modules are free for distribution, despite the game, as far as I know.

I don't know about any country that makes such a distinction between file formats. According to the law music is music.

That's why you can get the mod Deus Ex soundtrack at *******, but not hi-quality music like Quake's soundtrack (mp3, oggs and so on).

That sounds more like a site policy than a legal issue.

rofl NMN IS POSTING WAREZ!! BAN!!

i really dont think there is an issue with music, sounds, textures, skys or anything of that sort

is it bad if we use sounds or textures in our doom levels from say hexen2 or blood? quake or quake2? is it bad if we use skyboxes from half-life in zdoom/gzdoom?

i see no problem using music in the same way

It's just one of those things that are like "you're not supposed to do it but I do it anyway". Of course you're not supposed to use resources from other games in Doom (music included), but people do it anyway. There's quite a lot of levels I've seen (primarily the Torment & Torture series) which use music from Unreal, among other things. Technically nobody's supposed to even use music from TeamTNT projects in their wads, but pretty much everyone does it.

agreed, but if this is still a common practice within the doom mapping community
then why the big deal still?

Graf Zahl said:
(not that anyone really cares.)

Apparently it isn't. I think the game companies know perfectly well that they might lose their customers if they took action against this.

But that still doesn't make it legal and I simply have a problem with posting such wild assumptions as NMN did.

I was hoping that the 58MB would be like the 54MB they used for Daedalus or the 89 for RTC-3057. As in, all textures and maps.

Graf Zahl said:
But that still doesn't make it legal and I simply have a problem with posting such wild assumptions as NMN did.

And not only illegal but also shitty, as someone else is requesting that you do not use their stuff (be it commercial or a free add-on.)

All people have to do is ask. Many refrain from doing so simply out of fear that permission might be denied, and then release their ripped junk.

At this point in time there's tons of free material one may base one's work on, as well as tons of tools and techniques for making or modifying stuff, so there's little excuse for going out and grabbing random "pretty" stuff from anywhere to slap into one's wads. Ripware wads immediately become of a lesser category than they would have been had the authors stuck to proper or original resource selection.

try asking alexander brandon personally about it, it's mostly his stuff

his midis (tyrian music usually) gets abused at times in doom wads

im not saying it isnt illegal, and im not saying people should do cus everyone else does. but it is cool to see these things in wads today, it really makes them nicer :)

but this doesnt encourage people to make there own stuff either. though when people make there own stuff they usally only make it for there own projects and not freely available to those you cant

kc32 said:

I was hoping that the 58MB would be like the 54MB they used for Daedalus or the 89 for RTC-3057. As in, all textures and maps.

Most of RTC-3057 was music as well, albeit original music.

Music is subject to the same copyright protection as other creative works. I've removed Nmn's link.

Graf Zahl said:

Most of RTC-3057 was music as well, albeit original music.

What about Daedalus? All of it's music was in MIDI format, and everything else was the maps and textures. It kicked ass, even if some of the maps were really confusing.

kc32 said:

What about Daedalus? All of it's music was in MIDI format, and everything else was the maps and textures. It kicked ass, even if some of the maps were really confusing.

Daedalus only contained a few KB of music Remember, it was 32 maps, most of them quite large.
But there is quite a large amount of sounds in there. The WAD is 50MB and I think 7-8 of them were sounds.