Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corrupted Marine

Technical Darkness Project

hello all, its CM here and im looking for help. You see the Technical Darkness project never really went underway. I am still currently working on bits of the project, but i really want to get the project going! And if all goes according to plan with the help of you guys, the project should be finished very soon!

so anyways, here are the new updated features that you will find in this project:
*High Resolution Weapon sprites
*3d floors/ slopes
*Breakable glass/ breakable MD2 objects
*MD2 Support
*Super Detailed Architexture - MD2
*New 3D level objects - MD2
*Realistic Dynamic Lighting
*High Resolution Textures
*Tons of GZDoom effects
*In depth level scripting
*lots of other stuff...

what im aiming for is to create a very realistic modern day looking doom level.

all it is going to be for the moment is 1 level. and if the project goes down good, then it will probably develop into a series.

--------------------
im looking for:

a very good coder - someone who can do decorate, and put a high resolution weapon sprite into the game, and do alot of other technical coding jobs. mostly working with XWE to do various tasks.

a good mapper - someone who can make really detailed maps, and work with MD2 environment objects. a large portion of the map will be created using MD2 models that i create.
--------------------
anyone else who thinks they can help is more than welcome to contact me!

thanks. i will be posting some High Resolution weapon screens on here soon!

sure, but i have to get all the level models and things finished before the level will be started. so it will probably be a lil while before i contact you.
thanks for helping out!

I'm not sure if "super-detailed" architecture md3s will be good, without lod, you're bound to end up as another Gothic99.

Nmn said:

I'm not sure if "super-detailed" architecture md3s will be good, without lod, you're bound to end up as another Gothic99.

Doomsday has LOD function, but you told me MD2 format does not support LOD. Then what else than MD2 does Doomsday support? And what's MD3, anyway?

but you told me MD2 format does not support LOD

Bollocks. Appearently I must swallow my words here, or you miserpreted something mate.
LOD alone (Level of Detail) has nothing to do with neither MD2 or MD3 model formats, but the engine supporting (or not) this function.

LOD, putting it bluntly, decreseases the level of detail in meshes placed far away from your point of view, by replacing them with lower polycount versions of them, until you get closer (or zoom on them).

Back to discussion-AFAIK Gzdoom doesn't support LOD, so placing several 1000 poly meshes in a room will be equal to something along the lines of Grove. That said, keep in mind several people around here play Doom because it's an Old game (an old great game that is) and we (speaking in the name of those without machines capable of running Doom3) won't like to play a 13 year old game at 5 fps, not to mention, humongously detailed meshes in Doom will kinda look like butter with ketchup, i.e. out of place.

In summary-UBER detail=bad.
Interesting visual design=good. You really don't need super detail to make something interesting visually. Take hint from Little White Mouse's or Enjay's wads.

Ofcourse, it's only my humble opinion.

Last, but certainly not least. After obtaining knowledge on Corrupted Marine's several failed attempts at very ambitious projects I think it'd be wise to let the steam off a bit. You don't need a super-duper mod that pwns everything this community seen. Go on with something fun and innovative, i.e. let there be monsters and blasting, but a bit of imagination as well, so it's not a bore after 10 minutes. Also, attracting people to help you with your project should be supported by screenshots/already done material or at least some preview of what you have done so far.

Ugh...GZdoom.

I've been for this project since it's beginning, but putting it in GZdoom? Why? What does it add to the map? I think using GZdoom just for the hell of using GZdoom is a poor choice...

Comiclez said:

Ugh...GZdoom.

Why? What does it add to the map?

Well, there are a few things
1.3d floors
2.the flexibility of acs
3.The graphic rendering of open gl
4.All of the editing features of zdoom

There are so many things to mention, but I dont have enough space lol

shotgunmasacre2 said:

There are so many things to mention, but I dont have enough space lol

LOL!

Yes, you do. The intarweb is big.

Serious Xenocide said:

Doomsday has LOD function, but you told me MD2 format does not support LOD. Then what else than MD2 does Doomsday support? And what's MD3, anyway?

Doomsday uses its own model format, called DMD. MD2 doesn't indeed support LOD, unless you calculate the smaller levels yourself.

MD3 is Quake3's model format. Its major advantage over MD2 is the higher precision for the vertex coordinates

Why does it have to be gzdoom, If it was on a port without 3d models (Zdoom basically) i Would be joining in Guaranteed :(
Oh well, Nothing for me here....

- sausage -

I also dislike models in Doom. Good for most modifications, such as ZooW, but certainly bad for Doom.

sausage said:

Why does it have to be gzdoom, If it was on a port without 3d models (Zdoom basically) i Would be joining in Guaranteed :(
Oh well, Nothing for me here....

- sausage -

Why not sausage? Werent you going to be on the project anyways. And what is the big idea if there are 3d floors. Why dont you just work around this if you want to give it a go.

well im sorry for all of you who are apposed to my idea of the project. the whole idea of this project is to test the very boundries of doom, and what it can handle and what it cant. this project will have bunches of 3d models and the whole level will have all high resolution sprites and textures. so those of you with sorry computers will probably not be able to play it.

but i am still asking for any help that you guys have to offer. I NEED A CODER ESPECIALLY!
someone who can do DECORATE and put the high resolution weapon sprites into the game correctly.

Well corrupt, the only real thing that I know how to do is map levels, but I am sure that if someone builds all of the models and enemines that I will be able to build the levels to go with them.

Corrupted Marine said:

well im sorry for all of you who are apposed to my idea of the project. the whole idea of this project is to test the very boundries of doom, and what it can handle and what it cant. this project will have bunches of 3d models and the whole level will have all high resolution sprites and textures. so those of you with sorry computers will probably not be able to play it.

but i am still asking for any help that you guys have to offer. I NEED A CODER ESPECIALLY!
someone who can do DECORATE and put the high resolution weapon sprites into the game correctly.

Well, I just think that you can look at it on two hands:

One Hand-
GZdoom and other modifications could make it a driving force towards new and original Doom mods, if it's ever made.

Other Hand-
Old fashioned Doom (most likely Zdoom) style, good fun, and with no gimicks like 3D floors and models could make it a driving force for good, well-made, and fun levels without all of the bells and whistles that newer sourceports entail, that is, if it's ever made.

the whole idea of this project is to test the very boundries of doom, and what it can handle and what it cant.

This is to do with the port you choose, not DooM itself.

Anyay, it seems you want too much with this thing, to push the boundires of doom yadda yadda, but you say you despertly need people? It sounds like you are biting of more than you can chew.

At Corrupt,

Hey man, would you mind letting me start on level or something, I kinda feel bored not having something to work on. Please tell me that there is something that I can work on (other then trextures and sprites). BTW evilhomerdoom, I hope that you were wrong when you said that we look like we are biting off more then we can chew. That would suck :(! I want to have a good successfull project that can at least give me a chance to show if I can or cant make good doom levels.

well, if we can find the right help, then it is not more than we can chew. i can cover weapons and sprite design. i am also going to be doing the md2 or md3's whichever works right. and i am doing alot more stuff too, but right now, i just need a coder.

but shotgun, you can work on a level if you want, and i can go back later and change it up a bit if necessary.

it doesnt matter. the level that will be created for the project will just be a random level. i want you to come up with something. i want to see what you can do.

Old fashioned Doom (most likely Zdoom) style, good fun, and with no gimicks like 3D floors and models could make it a driving force for good, well-made, and fun levels without all of the bells and whistles that newer sourceports entail, that is, if it's ever made.

Why not make it for vanilla doom then?

sausage said:

Does vanilla doom use ACS Scripts?
i have never used vanilla doom

- sausage -

No, thats the hexen scripting language, and as such is only in the hexen format of Skulltag, ZDooM, GZDooM and in Hexen itself.

thats a shame, i knew it was from hexen but i thought it may be inserted into more ports nowadays.....

oh well.

- sausage -

Comiclez said:

Why are 3D floors "gimicks" and all the features ZDoom supports not? Slopes, ACS and Boom effects are useful features, but so are the features included in all the other ports. If the effects are done properly whilst still retaining good gameplay, it doesn't matter what port is needed to run it.